Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

I lost my Firefox browser when I installed Open Office ....

by uschie / December 27, 2009 10:09 AM PST

I have Windows XP. I recently installed Open Office because my Word program will not work properly anymore, even after I removed it and re-installed it again. I want to be able to use Word, but since it will not work, I installed Open Office. I always had either Firefox or I.E. as my browsers. Now Open Office comes up as my browser when I click on the Firefox or I.E. icon. I even re-installed Firefox, and O.O. continues to come up. What can I do about this, because I want to use Firefox, and may need to keep O.O. since I can't get my Word to work properly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I lost my Firefox browser when I installed Open Office ....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I lost my Firefox browser when I installed Open Office ....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I do not see how the Firefox or IE could be
by lacsr / December 27, 2009 9:25 PM PST

compromised by installing Open Office. Just how are you trying to open either one? Go directly to the appropriate folder in the Program Files folder and click the application file. If that still fails to open the correct program, then there is definitely a problem. If you are using a HOT button to launch then check to see if the HOT button launch has been changed.

Collapse -
Firefox
by Phil Crase / December 27, 2009 10:58 PM PST

Control panel, Internet Options, look at home page, if OPEN OFFICE, backspace, type MOZILLA FIREFOX, click APPLY.

Collapse -
Firefox
by uschie / December 28, 2009 5:51 PM PST
In reply to: Firefox

Phil, I did what you said....I went to Control Panel, Internet Options, then checked home page, and it said Open Office....so I backspaced and typed in Mozilla Firefox ..... and that may have fixed the problem..... I'll be able to tell as soon as I want to search for something. Thanks much, Ursula

Collapse -
Because Nothing Seems To Work Right...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 3:42 AM PST

...Word is broken, so is Firefox, Internet Explorer, and OpenOffice,,,,,, It's very possible you have malware on the computer.. Please try the steps below:

Download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

First, please download and run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe
Rkill.com http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
Rkill.scr http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr
Rkill.pif http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Because nothing seems to work right
by uschie / December 28, 2009 5:42 PM PST

Thanks so much, Grif, for your help. Sounds a bit too technical for me to try to do ..... I think I'd end up totally blowing up my computer (smile)
Thanks,
Ursula

Collapse -
Not Technical At All.. Try This First
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 12:01 AM PST

If your computer isn't badly infected, simply click on the link below, download the installer file to your desktop, then install, update, and run a full system scan with the program.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

If it doesn't install or work correctly, you may have an inkling there is a malware problem.. Either way, it's a good idea to scan your computer occasionally with such a tool.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Not Technical at All .... try this first
by uschie / December 29, 2009 2:55 PM PST

Grif, thanks so much for your advice. I managed to fix the Firefox/Open Office problem .... now I got my Firefox browser back. I'll download the link you posted that you wrote it will check for Malware, and I'll then run a scan with it about once a month.

My Word program has been messed up for some time, and that's why I had to download Open Office, which seems to take over my entire computer. When I get something sent to me in the Word format, the moment it opens it says "runtime error...abnormal program termination" and then it closes. I can't even quickly copy the document, that is how fast it disappears. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Word program several times, and it never works

Collapse -
Have You Tried The Fix Posted By Kees?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 12:43 AM PST

Kees posted some good options for fixing the Word problem in your other thread about the issue..

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?messageID=3209004&tag=forums06;posts#3209004

I've found the option number 3 to work frequently.. Search the computer for all files named: "normal.dot" (yep, that's normal dot dot), then delete them all.. Restart the computer and open Word again and a new, clean "normal.dot" file will be created.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Have you tried the fix posted by Kees?
by uschie / December 30, 2009 2:12 PM PST

No, Grif, I haven't tried Kees' fix yet, because I didn't really understand what he meant for me to do.

When you say for me to search for files called "normal.dot" and then delete them all, do I then get a file called "normal.dot" which will actually be my Word program????? Can't figure out how that could happen. Also, would I then open "normal.dot" any time I want to type something in the Word mode?? And what if someone sends me something that they typed in Word?? That is what happened the other day, and when I tried to open their document, it popped up VERY BRIEFLY and said "runtime error" "abnormal program termination"

Thanks,
Ursula

Collapse -
About Normal.dot...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2010 9:18 AM PST

The "normal.dot" file is the basic template used by the Word program when using a Word document.. As such, if you delete all the "bad" normal.dot templates, when you restart the computer and the Word program, it will automatically create a new, clean normal.dot template. You should then be able to open any of your current documents or create new documents in the same way you always have.. The only difference is Word will now be using a clean template to start from.

It's not that complicated.. Search for all the current "normal.dot" files. When found, delete them all. Then restart the computer and you're ready to go, hopefully just like new again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
About Normal.dot
by uschie / January 4, 2010 5:14 PM PST
In reply to: About Normal.dot...

Hi Grif,

Oh, how I wish you were RIGHT HERE (smile). I searched "all files and folders" and absolutely not one thing came up when I searched for Normal.dot About a week ago, a bunch of things came up .... have no idea where they went, I sure didn't delete them ... was afraid to do that. One man on here said to download the Malware program he gave me the link to, and I did that, and then deleted all the "stuff" that came up...so maybe Normal.dot was one of those things.
It won't let me type any more on here, so will continue on the next post
Ursula

Collapse -
I Doubt That Normal.dot Was Deleted As Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2010 12:26 AM PST

But at this point, you need to give us more information about what your seeing.. Does Microsoft Word work correctly now and if not, what is the problem you're seeing?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
I Doubt that Normal.dot was Deleted as Malware
by uschie / January 5, 2010 12:48 PM PST

Hi Grif,

Guess you didn't see yesterday's post. No, the Word program will not work, even though I deleted it through the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, and then reinstalled my Microsoft Office disc, which has Word on it. When I either type a new document in Word, or receive a document that was typed with Word, Word will open and then immediately the following comes up.... and then everything I've typed goes away. I can't even copy & paste it into an email or whatever to save it. Here is what comes up:
Runtime Error, Abnormal Program Termination
Program C/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office 10/WINWORD EXE

Collapse -
That's A Clue
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 6, 2010 12:38 AM PST

Try the steps in the links below to fix Word:

You receive a "MS Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message when you try to close a Word document or quit Word 2002 or Word 2003

Or...

Translation:
The error message cites Winword .exe, which is the main executable file Works Suite uses to launch Microsoft Word. The problem has everything to do with that software.

Solution:
Remove the program called Works Suite Add-In For Microsoft Word, which is installed with Works Suite. Click Start, expand Settings, click Control Panel, and open Add/Remove Programs (in WinXP click Start, click Control Panel, and click Add Or Remove Programs). Find the Microsoft Works Suite Add-In For Microsoft Word entry, click it, click Remove (Change/Remove in WinXP), and then follow the prompts to uninstall the software.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
That's a Clue
by uschie / January 6, 2010 1:50 PM PST
In reply to: That's A Clue

Hi Grif,
So after I UNINSTALL that program, I suppose then I would have to re-install it again from my disc???
Thanks,
Ursula

Collapse -
Nope, It's Only An Add-In That's Removed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: That's a Clue

Unless truly needed, you don't want to add it back.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Nope, it's only an add-in that's removed
by uschie / January 7, 2010 2:53 AM PST

Hi Grif,
It's only the Word program I need, and I just want to make sure I don't remove anything that's needed in my computer. I wonder how in the world that "add-in" would have gotten into my computer, because I sure never purposely installed any add-in
Thanks again,
Ursula

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!