HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

I lost all access to my folders.

by yelrah65 / March 19, 2007 9:07 AM PDT

I have an 80GB hard drive with windows XP installed. The other day while downloading some song I went to the washroom when I came back my pc was restarting. When windows was about to load it restarted again. Since then everytime I try to start the computer it restarts when windows is about to appear. The drive was not partitioned. A friend suggested partitioning it and re installing windows as not to loose the info. After I did this when loged into the new windows it showed that 40GB was used on the drive but I could not find the folders. I purchased a new 200GB Hard Drive. And had a friend install a new version of XP and partition it 30GB and 170GB with the old 80GB drive as a slave. When I Boot up the system it shows total 80gb on the old drive with 40gb used but I can't find the folders. I do a search for pictures and or music but nothing on my old drive comes up on the search but the properties says something is there. This drive hold alot of personal familiy picture and videos I really need to access. Is there a recovery system I can get (hopefully for free) to allow be to transfer my old lost info onto my new drive? Thanx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I lost all access to my folders.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I lost all access to my folders.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.