Speakeasy forum

Rant

I'll go throw up now

by TONI H / July 4, 2011 6:11 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'll go throw up now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'll go throw up now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll be even more ticked off
by TONI H / July 4, 2011 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll go throw up now

if the Supreme Court actually acts on this when they couldn't be bothered to act on the Obamacare lawsuits until just before next year's election when the law for hearing those types of cases 'when it affects the entire country' easily could have qualified for a 'fast track'.

Collapse -
You only have another approx 18 months.
by JP Bill / July 4, 2011 7:02 AM PDT

Hang in there.

We're all in this together, Keep your stick on the ice.

Collapse -
I don't know ...
by Bill Osler / July 4, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

First, let me say that the allegations do make me believe the death penalty is appropriate, but there is a huge problem. We have a long legal tradition that bars executions in cases that have serious procedural flaws. This case involves some interesting questions, and it appears that the US and/or some of its legal jurisdictions were in violation of international treaties when they prosecuted the case without allowing access to consular resources.

IOW, if the SCOTUS rules that the execution should be delayed it will be because of procedural problems that were caused by the State during the trial. Seems to me that if there is a problem it is not the UN or SCOTUS that should be blamed but instead the blame would properly be assigned to the State of Texas.

I am annoyed by the fact that this situation may result in a violent criminal not receiving the punishment that he properly should receive, but if we want to claim that our government is bound to follow the law then we don't have a good alternative.

The case also involves an interesting constitutional question: When the US government makes a treaty that restricts the rights normally assigned by the Constitution to the States are the states bound by the treaty? If they ARE then that creates a Constitutional dilemma but if the ARE NOT that creates quite an difficult international relations dilemma.

Collapse -
Mexico
by TONI H / July 4, 2011 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't know ...

and the UN have really begun heavily to dictate to the US...however, there are many instances where treaties regarding embassy/consulate notification are totally ignored by those countries, including Mexico. I just don't understand why it took YEARS for this to all of a sudden come to light. In addition, this will leave the door wide open for illegals to get let off the hook for crimes committed here in the US and sends the message, within our country to other illegals and also across the border, again that they get a walk to do whatever they want here. This isn't the first instance of an illegal committing vile acts and beating the system, including killing an older woman when an illegal ran her down here in VA...he had been given a walk numerous times when stopped for driving without a license and found to be an illegal and let go.

I fully understand why so many States are now writing their own laws regarding illegals........I only want the Supreme Court and the Federal Government to do their freaking jobs for a change and stop standing in the way.

Collapse -
2 years
by James Denison / July 4, 2011 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't know ...

He's lived here all but two years of his life? That's more than Obama! Does that mean if Obama got into some legal problems, he'd expect his special circumstances of his youth to somehow interfere with those legal problems? And why has this person been here since he was 2 years old? Is it because his parents were and maybe still are illegal immigrants?

Collapse -
Remember...
by J. Vega / July 4, 2011 12:58 PM PDT

Remember the case of Leonard Lake and Charles Ng, who were suspected of murdering between 11 and 25 victims at Lake's ranch in Calaveras County, California? Lake committed suicide, but in 1999 Ng stood trial and was convicted of the murders of six men, three women, and two male infants. He was given the death penalty, and still sits on death row.
I brought him up because Ng in not a U.S. citizen. He was born in Hong Kong. So I can't help but wonder if Ng was put into contact the Chinese consulate after his arrest.

Collapse -
Tossing my cookies once more
by TONI H / July 5, 2011 2:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
I take it you have a cover for your keyboard.
by JP Bill / July 5, 2011 2:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
I prefer these for those queasy days
by James Denison / July 5, 2011 3:06 AM PDT
Washable Keyboard.

Since they often require a bit harder press on the keys, it's also perfect for those more frustrating days when you can take it out pounding out the letters on the keyboard.
Collapse -
Extradition may be a bit much, but ...
by Bill Osler / July 5, 2011 8:06 AM PDT

I can see why the Mexican government is upset about the operation. It is certainly embarrassing to the US and IMO the fact that it was allowed to continue without any interaction with the Mexican government needs some serious explaining.

Can you imagine what the US response would be if the roles were reversed?

Collapse -
Role reversal is already here
by TONI H / July 5, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

Mexico publicly spoke on the floor of the House complaining about Arizona's law, they have filed a lawsuit against Georgia to stop their immigration law, and Mexico has no problem with their own people coming here illegally, even if they are criminals, because if they aren't in Mexico, they aren't a headache to them criminally or economically....BUT heaven forbid we catch a Mexican illegal on a murder charge, give him a fair trial, and here they are again, involving the UN to get the execution stopped. I'm really sick of other countries dictating to us regarding OUR laws when they have total disregard for any of them.

Collapse -
You mean like Amanda Knox?
by James Denison / July 5, 2011 1:22 PM PDT
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/18/earlyshow/saturday/main20072239.shtml

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/16/amanda-knoxs-parents-are-just-the-latest-to-run-afoul-of-italy/

Amanda Knox was a University of Washington student studying in Italy
when she was accused of killing Briton Meredith Kercher, her roommate in
Perugia, in 2007. Knox, now 23, was convicted in 2009 and sentenced to
26 years in prison. She denies any wrongdoing, and her appeals trial is
under way.

Her parents are among about 11 people, who reportedly have either been
sued for defamation outright or warned they were being investigated on
defamation charges in connection with the Knox case.

Knox herself faces slander charges for saying Italian police were
abusive during her 14-hour interrogation following Kercher's stabbing
death. Her parents repeated those same statements to a British newspaper
in 2008, which is what got them in trouble.

If Americans are sued on criminal libel charges from Italy, they can
simply avoid traveling to Italy because they cannot be charged in the
U.S. under Italian law.

In Italy, defamation is punishable with a minimum fine of 500 euros and a incarceration of six months to three years.

Knox's parents, however, must stand trial in Italy if they hope to see their daughter again.

Mignini was the head prosecutor during Knox's 2009 trial and was himself convicted of "abuse of office" in a separate murder investigation and given a suspended 16-month prison sentence. He is appealing that verdict.
Collapse -
RE: I'll go throw up now
by JP Bill / July 5, 2011 3:11 AM PDT

Video at 11?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?