Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I'll bet there's no planeload of folks.......

.....on their way from the US to Mexico city to protest this one:

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- The Mexican government has issued a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered U.S. blacks.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/06/29/mexico.stamp.ap/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'll bet there's no planeload of folks.......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'll bet there's no planeload of folks.......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FYI Memin:

In reply to: I'll bet there's no planeload of folks.......

A friend from El Paso Tx said her elementary schoolteacher used to call the kids ''pingos'' when they misbehaved [~ ''rascals''].

From the article: ''This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico's culture,'' Caballero said. ''His mischievous nature is part of that character.''
Absolutely true, which doesn't excuse any 2005 hurt feelings.

''However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still assume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.'' [Emphasis added]
But ... weren't the Spanish and Africans all ''foreigners'' in that place and time?!
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton -- where are they? :)

Collapse -
Maybe....just mayby....we should accept that not all

the people of the world have the same notion of racism, bigotry, injustice, etc. as we do in the USA. Maybe we need to just let these things play out. We didn't always have the same understanding of such as we do now. We had to "discover" what were our mistakes. How about if we just let Mexico, and the rest of the world, make their own discovery as well. Only then, IMO, can attitude change really stick.:)

Collapse -
You are correct,

In reply to: Maybe....just mayby....we should accept that not all

That's why it's ok to murder your wife in the Middle East if she looks at another man. It's just their way. We should accept it.

Collapse -
So, what are our options in your example

In reply to: You are correct,

Of course I used the term "maybe" and not "clearly" and am referring to more benign issues but let's just take yours. I suppose we could find a way to threaten or take down a potential murdering husband and ourselves be "widow-makers". I have no qualm with taking extreme measures when we've taken good measurements first but, cliched as it sounds, true converts are only made by setting an example that makes someone want to be what they see as better than what they are.

Collapse -
Good points!

In reply to: Maybe....just mayby....we should accept that not all

with the Constitution of Mexico, nor how it addresses its citizens.

My impression is that they have been plagued with poor government officials over the years, so that leads me to wonder how seriously the rights of some are taken.

We were the first to say that "all men are created equal", yet we know that some counted as only 4/5 of a man, which was later rectified. In my lifetime some states had poll taxes and other measures in place to deter some citizens from voting. That was rectified. Then with the Civil Rights Act they finally took their place at lunch counters, on the bus, and "Whites Only" and "Colored" disappeared. It took time, but as you said, we learned.

As to duckman's example, I abhor the practice, but I don't live there under their laws. Change, as we know it, involves replacing the grievance with something of value. I don't know what those who carry out the retributions would consider valuable. I heard that in Saudi Arabia change was promised over 20 years ago, which has never come.

Maybe our concern could be better spent looking at what could be done to break the cycle of prejudices being passed on to our children.

I agree that example is the best teacher.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's just chariming *sigh*

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.