The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

I know why kids pirate music

by taos07 / May 3, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

Because in order to buy music online, you need a credit card. Most kids under 18 do not have a credit card.

kthxbye

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I know why kids pirate music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I know why kids pirate music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeahhhhhh....
by dro0001 / May 3, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

THAT'S the reason I'm sure.

Collapse -
Well....
by taos07 / May 3, 2007 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeahhhhhh....

How many 12 year olds do you know that have a credit card? How many 12 year olds do you know that have access to a computer?

Collapse -
i do know a lot of kids using computer when they are 4-5
by laser-tech / October 26, 2008 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....

i do know a lot of kids using computer when they are 4-5 ..haha

Collapse -
(NT) where do 5yr olds learn to torrent?
by robstak / October 26, 2008 9:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
my 2cents
by Kokoro-Kun / May 3, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

I'm not 12, I just turned 16, but I know my age group owns the biggest group of pirates out there. Wink

Now, I'm not trying to justify stealing music, it's not right, but here's why people do it

1. You don't want to go to my parents and say "Hi mom, I want this rap song called "F*************" from Itune, can I borrow your credit card". It's just hmmmm, unflattering. Wink

2. kids my age are experimenting with a lot of songs, a lot of people listens to what's popular on TV/radio, and there are a lot of new songs everyweek they want to own because their friends are listening to it. And that leads to MASSIVE amount of purchases. And kids don't have 50 dollars a month to spend on Itune.

3. as popular as Ipods are, not everybody has one, and a lot of people uses cheaper players instead. I didn't started using an ipod until last Christmas and as an IRiver PMP owner, there's NO other way to get music digitally from the net other than piracy.

4. Once you give people the idea they can get away with NOT paying, you will have a tough time convince them to pay again. It's just the way of life.

Collapse -
For your iriver
by taos07 / May 3, 2007 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: my 2cents

Try musicmatch.

Collapse -
are you sure?
by Kokoro-Kun / May 3, 2007 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: For your iriver

because Iriver PMP doesn't work with ANY DRM or subscription services. I was only using it to view videos.

but thanks, I will look into it.

Collapse -
Not positive
by taos07 / May 3, 2007 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: are you sure?

They use MP3pro.

Collapse -
The music companies brought piracy upon themselves.
by ellis feigenbaum / May 3, 2007 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Not positive

As kids we had either a record player, or a tape deck, we would buy singles, because that was what we could afford, sometimes if we were lucky we might even like the song on the B side. For many years it was impossible to buy a single , so we learned how to copy cassettes, then later a new genration learned how to rip cd`s.
Now a whole new generation that use the internet from birth almost, has arrived and like their predecessors they have learned how to copy music and share it with freinds.
The record companies hate to lose money, as all people do, however if they look to that 20 year period where you couldnt buy a single because record companies were too greedy to sell them and they will have exactly the answer as to why 12- 24 year olds pirate music, the genie is out of the bottle and it is very difficult to put it back.
99c songs on itunes may be a start, but it might take a whole new generation and totally new payment technologies for it to be acceptable for 14 year olds to buy content over the internet.

Collapse -
Just as an aside
by ellis feigenbaum / May 3, 2007 12:05 PM PDT

Does ny one remember how annoying it was that the dj`s always spoke over the end of songs you taped directly from the radio. The original drm Happy

Collapse -
Still
by taos07 / May 3, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

That doesn't address the problem of this middle demographic having no practical way of actually paying for the music. When I was a kid, if I wanted to buy a song (single or otherwise) I would take my money down to the store and buy it. It was 8 bucks for a cassette or 15 for a cd, 3 or four bucks for a single on vinyl or cassette. Kids now have this outlet where they can download songs legally or illegally but no practical way to pay for the songs. I see this as the most significant barrier to entry for these people. Paying is not an option for them so they do the next easiest thing.

Collapse -
Like I said
by ellis feigenbaum / May 3, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Still

It may take a whole new payment technology, which I would expect the Labels themselves to spearhead the initiative.
you can buy an itunes card in your local grocery store- maybe if you could listen to a track in your local record store and download it to your player at the music store.
Maybe if you could , get a top up card for your cell phone and download the song directly over EVDO and then transfer it to your player via the memory card.
There are multiple options for a payment system, but the labels must work to make all of these seem natural and the way forward.

Collapse -
Take Itunes
by Renegade Knight / May 16, 2007 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Like I said

If you take the iTunes card and make it generic.

Like a PaPal card. Buy it over the counter, use it everwhere. It would be handier than an iTunes card even if everone started taking the iTunes card becaus you could use it on Cabela's.

Collapse -
Another plan
by ellis feigenbaum / May 3, 2007 12:38 PM PDT

Wimax enabled mp3 players- that you can buy top up cards for,and use this creidt to purchase drm free music from any online store you choose, that would play across multiple platforms.
the mp3 players would have a list of host sites and you could pick which one you wanted to buy from based on price or bit rate.
so now 15 year old that wants to spend 5 bucks he has saved from his allowance on music, can buy the card in local grocery store and get whatever music he wants on the ipod he got for christmas.
there are a million ways to do this , the trick is making it so easy that kids will want to do this.

Collapse -
How About
by ellis feigenbaum / May 3, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Another plan

Wifi enabled mp3 player with a card reader, that could swipe the top up card , to buy directly from any music label or participating website.
honstly the posibilities of doing this are endless.

Collapse -
Payments finally caught up
by dsilver123a / May 10, 2007 4:57 AM PDT

Yeah -- it's surprising that you couldn't use cash online until recently. There's a new company -- just launched -- called PaidByCash -- let's you use cash online just like you would at a store. Should open up the music market to everyone -- not sure if it will reduce piracy, but at least no one can say they didn't have a way to pay anymore!

Collapse -
wait a sec
by Gameking7 / May 6, 2007 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: my 2cents

if kids pirate music they probaly dont have 2 cents

Collapse -
My friends give their kids iTunes cards
by ktreb / May 3, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

It is in the parents' best interest for their kids not to pirate music. That said, most parents don't have a clue.

Collapse -
agreed...but also
by kwahhn / May 3, 2007 11:30 PM PDT

they pirate music because it's extremely easy to do so. Easier than driving to the store to pay 15-20 dollars for a CD.

Granted it's also easy to go to iTunes and pay a buck to download a song.

Dang whipper snappers.

Collapse -
Piracy will always exist
by ellis feigenbaum / May 4, 2007 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: agreed...but also

somewhere in my collection of ancient cassettes i have a copy of a copy of a copy of a live beatles recording, there will alwys be those that like to pass around the illicit/illegal copies.This I take as a given, however we should be able to set up a system that in the main kids dont pirate music, or maybe the world has changed so much, that the basic concept of if you want something you pay for it has passed from the world. If that is the case then there is no point to this debate.

Collapse -
(NT) oh, and kids are dumb*****.
by kwahhn / May 4, 2007 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: agreed...but also
Collapse -
No they are not
by ellis feigenbaum / May 4, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

They just do dumb things sometimes.

Collapse -
Partly true.
by Renegade Knight / May 4, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

If they were inclined to buy online music that's a barrier. iTunes solved it in that you can buy iTunes cards at Wal Mart and use that to buy songs. I'm not sure if anyone except iTunes has such a method of buying songs.

Collapse -
Apple is a relatively new player in the music business
by ellis feigenbaum / May 4, 2007 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Partly true.

And however it may look to genration ipod, it is a relatively small player in that market, CD sales still by far outweigh web based music sales even though cd sales are in decline.
The real movers in this feild should be and must be the record labels.
A) Because they have the most to lose and B) because they are the only ones capable of allowing a cross platform format for players and payment.
If you could buy a single card that would give you access to every music site, with the ability to download to every player/computer and the ability to transfer for fair use between players you would basically revert to the old fashioned way- you go to the store buy your card and get your music.
of course this would take a mind shift on the part of the music industry as whole, but what the heck, this is a hypothetical christmas list, Santa doesn`t bring everything you want,even in real life. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) But do you know why pirates kid music?
by acedtect / May 10, 2007 7:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
the usual reason kids do anything
by ellis feigenbaum / May 10, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

because they can Wink

Collapse -
Not good enough.
by MedicineHead / May 10, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

If one wanted to purchase an album from an online retailer like Amazon.com, one could give a parent money and have the parents purchase the CD.

If one wanted to purchase a song from an online store like the iTunes Store, one could purchase an iTunes Gift Card from a local retailer and use the card in the place of cash.

Collapse -
I once heard...
by Leo Watson / May 13, 2007 2:29 AM PDT

I think it *may* have been Molly, or it could be someone else say:

"You don't need Adam Smith to tell you that the morals of the masses will go out the window when they can get something for free"

Collapse -
Not quite
by Gadget_Gizmo / May 14, 2007 6:08 PM PDT

You'll be sorely disappointed when piracy goes on even if more kids got credit cards.

Collapse -
I buy music when I can
by blkrvnhwk / May 15, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

I think that there is a point about credit cards. My parents don't approve of the music that i listen to and so there is no way that they would let me buy it with their credit card. When I got a $20 debit gift card that I could use to make purchases online, I choose spend it on music. Most of the time though I just don't have access. I don't buy cds because I usually only want one song from an album. I also can't use the itunes music on my iriver clix so the cards that you can buy from walmart do me no good. When I can buy music without going out of my way, I do, but for those of us without credit cards it is much easier to just pirate.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!