Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I know that it's allowed, but

it might help to improve the atmosphere on the forum if people refrained from using the phrase ''bull ****''. It would also be nice if ''bull ****'', ''bull ****'', ''bs'', and any variations were also pulled from usage on Speakeasy.

I've never been a big one for swearing. I wasn't real comfortable typing them out for purposes of discussion. There was no swearing allowed when I was being raised, so that might be it. Regardless, it's not a good thing to say, and I don't like seeing it used whether or not it is directed at me.

I'm sure others are also not so fond of it.

Constructive thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I know that it's allowed, but
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I know that it's allowed, but
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry...

In reply to: I know that it's allowed, but

I don't like to hear people swearing their heads off until the air is blue, but I don't mind a bit of cursing one little bit. If anything I am more put off by euphemisms unless they are not too prissy. Creative euphemism is to be desired of course.

Just words after all. They can be used well or poorly.

Up to the Mods of course,

Collapse -
Thoughts that quickly came to mind.

As long as we're talking about words, I'll be honest. The ones that bother me more are the ones directed at messengers.... "you are an idiot", "can't you read" (or variations thereof), thinly veiled anatomical references to medical procedures the opponent thinks the messenger needs, "you know nothing about this and are showing your ignorance", and many others.

As far as those words you cited, long ago I either read or heard someone say that the words are used because the speaker has a limited vocabulary on which to draw to make his point.

I admit I say them in anger (I do live alone so only my dog hears me), and find it to be a release while reading this board.Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Are you of the

In reply to: Thoughts that quickly came to mind.

opinion that it is acceptable to use "bs" in Speakeasy?

Dan

Collapse -
Answer

In reply to: Are you of the

Collapse -
If accompanied by rational discussion , I'll let it slide.

In reply to: Are you of the

The thought by itself I'll purge (I did so once today).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sometimes that word is correct

Collapse -
I'm more offended by

LIES

Collapse -
Better deal:

Don't be a potty mouth.

Why would you put conditions on using polite language? That's hardly in keeping with where the forum is trying to go.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This sub-thread is closed.

In reply to: Better deal:

Collapse -
I agree completely

I also don't much care phrase type abbreviations such as that for "what the....". I am not offended by these but tend to ignore the content of a poster's message who insists on using expletives or their substitutes. I just find such language diminishes the value of the rest of the message. In the old forums I made this similar point as one of my very first posts....It was just an observation and not a personal criticism of anyone. I got railed pretty good for the comment. Happy

Collapse -
One thought ...

In reply to: I agree completely

... the initials or euphemisms are "soft profanity" -- you aren't really supposed to sound out the words in your head, just "listen" as if I spoke them. I don't use those words in formal settings or around children. But this is an adult forum.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I understand a little of what you say but

In reply to: One thought ...

don't you think that, as adults, we also need to show some consistancy in our behavior? And does who is in earshot make a difference? It could be kids or it could be the preacher....he's an adult. Happy I wouldn't want to say kids don't know what adults say when not in their presence. They don't learn this from other kids. It just seems that adulthood should not just show improvements in our wisdom but improvements in our manners. There might be times in the course of speaking where one uses certain language as a form of emphasis. The vocal inflections are probably more meaningful than the words themselves in such cases. But I don't see how one does this as well with a keyboard. I see it as wasted space. We only get to make so many keystrokes in a lifetime. Why not use them well? Happy

Collapse -
*SIGH* :-(

In reply to: I understand a little of what you say but

Sorry Steve, but I know very few adults that don't at least use euphemisms or abbreviations -- depending on the company, even in front of children. This isn't the Royal Debating Society.

I save the full blown flowery language for when I'm really upset and only in certain situations. I would never do that here PERIOD even if profanity was allowed and not filtered. Not my style. I probably wouldn't think too highly of someone that used full blown profanity regularly either, but if it were allowed I wouldn't go posting holier-than-thou posts like Dan's. There are many ways to offend, and if we tallied them all up there wouldn't be enough eggshells for all of SE to walk on Sad

Golly gee shucks, thats JMHO.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
What I find difficult to understand about this is

In reply to: *SIGH* :-(

why someone who chooses not to swear and dares to make mention of it needs to endure being labeled "holier than thou". I don't turn my nose up at anyone who sprinkles a little "salt" into their part of the conversation. It does not offend me. I know the difference between what has just blended into ones conversational habits and when one is deliberately and purposefully crude. I walk away from these as politely as possible as I lose the ability to have meaningful dialog when the atmosphere changes this way. You know, I think this is a worthwhile topic of discussion and I appreciate that it's also a difficult one to raise. But I do hope it's ok to speak without using "adult" language and still be considered as normal rather than pompous or freaky and weird. Happy

Collapse -
I didn't think you came off that way ...

In reply to: What I find difficult to understand about this is

... but Dan most certainly did. SE is quite mild by comparison to most real world adult or mixed company. I'm frankly quite surprised that its an issue for anyone here. Could the language be more pure? Certainly, but people can be far more crude and offensive with ''proper words'' when they put their mind to it ... and quite often do here Sad Mind you we aren't even talking about hard core profanity here. Seems a mountain out of a molehill. JMO.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
No harm done

In reply to: I didn't think you came off that way ...

I still think it was a worthwhile discussion. I completely agree that sniping, baiting, etc. are more harmful. I just consider that problem to be a separate subject, though equally of value...and that trying to deflect the focus of the discussion from the poster's noted irritation to one's own irritation with the poster (even if quite valid) might not work favorably, IMO. Joe Schmoe's terrible habit does not make Ralph Schmuck's lesser one entirely acceptable. Hey, just trying to fit in here somehow...ain't always easy. Happy

Collapse -
Just out of curiosity...

what happens when you read any modern literature? Do you blush furiously the whole time or just avoid the stuff altogether? Not much written since theh 1930s that doesn't feature SOME swearing.

Collapse -
I take it in stride, but

In reply to: Just out of curiosity...

that is a different situation. That is a one-sided presentation. This forum is supposed to be the civil discourse of polite adults. People rarely swear around me or at me and I ask people to mind their language around my home. I don't blush when people use such low language, I just don't like it.

Dan

Collapse -
Do you ask people not to swear when you're in a bar ...

In reply to: I take it in stride, but

... or other adult establishment? This ain't your home Dan. Grow up.

Collapse -
I clearly said that I asked that

In reply to: Do you ask people not to swear when you're in a bar ...

in my home, Evie.

Dan Happy

Collapse -
Yes you did ...

In reply to: I clearly said that I asked that

... and I clearly reminded you that this wasn't your home and this was more like being in a bar or other public arena with no children present.

I never knew you were such a prude.

Collapse -
I'm not a prude by any

In reply to: Yes you did ...

stretch of the imagination. I was just raised not to swear. Many people are, Evie.

Dan Happy

Collapse -
Well, it's prudish if ...

In reply to: I'm not a prude by any

... hearing BS makes you that uncomfortable. Maybe you should find a Nun chat room.

I was raised not to curse either. I rarely do using the full words. But BS is just such a concise and on-the-mark way of calling it like it is. Why waste the bandwidth?

LOL

Get over yourself already!

Collapse -
This is not a bar or adult establishment

In reply to: Do you ask people not to swear when you're in a bar ...

It is a PG-13 forum period.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And a 13 yo can handle BS for cryin' out loud!

In reply to: This is not a bar or adult establishment

Collapse -
Sure, a 13 year-old can "handle it', because

In reply to: (NT) And a 13 yo can handle BS for cryin' out loud!

.... they have been exposed to it to the point that they are innocualted, and, IMO, indoctrinated that these are acceptable.

What we told our kids were "family words" not to be repeated as they could be offensive to other people the same as ethnic slurs, are now common wherever we turn.

In some young people they are used as commonly as "Your know".

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: civil discourse of polite adults

In reply to: I take it in stride, but

++++ right on man!!none of this PC ++++ for us ++++ homies!!!!*** do we have here? a pack of ++++ whipped ++++? no ++++ way!!!!!we're all ++++ good ++++ with a wide selection of ++++ and ++++, not to mention ++++ or ++++.....

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Would anyone else like to comment?

Collapse -
Yes....

In reply to: (NT) Would anyone else like to comment?

I don't care to hear filth rolling out of anothers mouth, nor from the finger tips. However, meaningless little curse words amount to noting IMO.
One of the things I like about the Cnet forums is that if I don't like what I read, I can X out of it and go read something else. Happy

Collapse -
O.K., I will...

In reply to: (NT) Would anyone else like to comment?

O.K, since you said that you don't allow such in your home, do you forbid the watching of re-runs of the television show M.A.S.H. with Colonel Sherman Potter using such expressions as bull cookies, meadow muffins, horse apples, etc., etc,?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.