Windows 8 forum

General discussion

I kind of want some decent advice

by rockessmonster / February 17, 2014 2:07 PM PST

I'm going to (dreadingly) get a Windows 8. I've researched the Classic Shell thing (which seems to be pretty comforting seeing I've used Vista since...2007?), but I kind of want some decent advice on it.

I keep reading horrible reviews, and even playing with it as a demo is not...my cup of tea. Again the Classic Shell thing is promising.

What I essentially use any computer I've used for, is photography and photo editing/processing, journalism related things, Skype, homework and generally using it for art related things.

I got my essentials that I needed from my current computer and it's ready for the next step.

I just am curious if this is going to be a nice transition from something I'm so used to and if it'll be simple enough for me to use it for art reasons and so on. I'm surprisingly not that savvy when it comes to "newer" technology such as this. So far from what I've seen of 8 reminds me of my moms phone, it was meant to be a touch screen sort of deal.

Silly, but again, sometimes it's better to ask than never know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I kind of want some decent advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I kind of want some decent advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For me it was a 5 minute transformation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2014 11:52 PM PST

And some continued learning of where they moved the cheese. But Classic Shell is nothing short of great. I'm not going back to prior Windows unless it's what's on the old gear we have at the office. I'm not a OS snob but this little thing really made Windows 8 shine for me.
Bob

Collapse -
by rockessmonster / February 19, 2014 3:26 AM PST

I've debated Windows 7 (I found a few online but I'm also not the one with the money here), because it's simple and an easy transition. 8 was sort of overwhelming for me, be it demos or using friend's laptops and so on.

I know I'll have to budge and accept the Windows 8 life, I'm just overly stubborn and used to what I've been accustom to over the years. Again, I've had this Vista for eons it feels like.

But if Classic Shell seriously will make an easy transition for Windows 8, then I can gladly get that out of the way and download almost immediately. I'm truly not one for this whole app generation which, I should be seeing my age and all. I'm a little stubborn when it comes to this drastic change. I just need simple, nothing too fancy, heh.

But seeing that the reviews praise the hell out of Classic Shell and how easy it can be, hell even starting from the desktop (thank goodness), then I'm going to just kick and scream until I have it up.

You're always a major help Profitt.

Collapse -
One more idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

I see your current machine might have a failing HDD. That's pretty cheap to fix and if you clone it fast you can whistle past all this for a bit longer. Or if you want go ahead and install any of the nice Linux out today to get it to get on the internet and more.

Itsdigger can attest that it's not that bad and even can get some of the video streaming sites working again.
Bob

PS. Thanks for the kind words.

Collapse -
by rockessmonster / February 19, 2014 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: One more idea.

She just generally needs to go sadly. I've been keeping her in sleep mode. I've noticed in the last...hmm maybe year or so, she's not doing to well. She's trying but, it's just time. She's having a hard time keeping up with newer things, and yes fixing the HDD would be easy, in retrospect but, I'm also not -that- savvy about things.

But your advice, from all the other threads I've read, are clear and understandable. You've always spoken high praise of the Shell and your general advice on everything is always helpful. I've used this site, before the account, to find information on things, yours was always reliable. So, I'm taking your word and I'll make the switch then.
Thank you so much for the honest real world answer about this topic. You do take into consideration what someone does.

Collapse -
Bob is a Guru
by itsdigger / February 19, 2014 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

with this stuff and will always steer you right.

As far as the transition to Win 8 went , I found it pretty easy .
I opted not to use Classic Shell because I wanted to learn the system but found if I just went right into my desktop instead of fumbling with the Metro jazz ,Windows 8 was pretty easy.
Just right click on what used to be the Start Button and you can find whatever you want.

As far as the Ol' Gal needing to go, well I think since you have her ya might as well use her.
You can replace that HDD for a song and dance these days and I would'nt hesitate to use a Linux system on her.

Iv'e been doing a lot of Distro Hopping these last few years and found a few that were as easy if not easier to use than Windows.

ZorinOS comes to mind as you can make it look like several Windows OS's such as Win7 or XP.
Lot's of folks prefer Linux Mint.
My favorite is SolydK

If you don't want to change the HDD you should look into Puppy Linux, you don't even need a HDD to use it as Puppy run off of the RAM.

Anyway there's my 2 cents.
Have Fun
Digger

Collapse -
by rockessmonster / February 19, 2014 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Bob is a Guru

Eh she really just needs to make it another week or so. Again, I'm not the one in control of the money here or else I would. I'll look into it none the less.

Thank you!!! That's actually helpful! Grin I'll take this all into consideration!

Collapse -
I agree with Bob's words of wisdom re Classic Shell
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2014 5:40 AM PST

My personal opinion about Windows 8 is that I want as little to do with a touch screen and the new Metro mode as possible, and Classic Shell makes that happen for me. It gives you the traditional Start button and menu with everything there that you're used to. Windows is largely Windows 7 under the covers with that (ugh!) new user interface on top of it. I've been using it since the pre-release days two years ago, and I can tell you it's been rock solid stable for me on 2 PCs at home and 4 I support. If you get Windows 8 with Classic Shell I have every reason to be happy with it. Most of the software you have should work with Windows 8, but I'd advise you to check that and your hardware (i.e. printers, scanners, USB devices, etc.) for compatibility. You can run the Windows 8 upgrade advisor on your Vista PC to check.

Collapse -
by rockessmonster / February 19, 2014 6:12 AM PST

Thankfully I'm not getting a touch screen version. Not with the sort of art I do, I need to use the screen!

If Classic Shell can make everything easy for me to work from the desktop, like I normally do with the things I use, then I'll suck it up. Seriously Windows 8 never came across as "artistic" friendly for the things I do(just from what I've used of it). But if it's really just Windows 7 with that weird interface, then I can deal.

Everything can work with Windows 8 actually! I've checked! I use very little as is so, this seems promising.

CLASSIC SHELL TO THE RESCUE!

Thank you love!

Collapse -
Start now or later...
by Willy / February 19, 2014 8:56 PM PST

If you have to get Win8, then look for the Win8.1 version. It should be available as well to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. You have to do that from the start because it's a "whole package" approach. It supplies the classic windoze many have come used to, but the freebie, "Classic Shell" is still used either way. Whether you like it or not if you plan to use windoze, Win 8.x is being offered as the latest retention. I personally have stayed away from Win8 as my own use as Win7 does all I need. But, I know sooner or later I have to welcome it to the homefront. On top of that I have to buy a new PC to do it because my stuff has gotten old, drat! Oh yeah, screw smartphones only because I have found I'm doing well w/o one. Yeah, I got an app for that, don't buy(sorry, I knew Mr. Bell). Wink

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Use both window 7 and 8
by rahulrn1666 / February 22, 2014 2:59 PM PST

I never hear the query before. Seriously you may use window 7 for better Photo graph experience. On the other hand some Software like Format factor can help you in better way. So try this niche

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.