Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

I keep losing wireless printer from vista

by peterjknight2003 / September 14, 2007 7:10 PM PDT

Help!! This is driving me mad! I have an HP Pavilion DV2500 running Vista Home Premium. I have a wireless network with a HP All-in-one 2510 wireless printer attached (wirelessly). I install the printer on the laptop using the latest drivers from HP and everything runs fine for a few days. Then, for no apparent reason the printer disappears from the list of printes on the laptop. The only solution I can find is to re-install.... which takes another hour or two.

Does anybody have a solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I keep losing wireless printer from vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I keep losing wireless printer from vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2007 10:08 PM PDT

With so little detail I can't guess if you disabled SSID broadcasting or have out of date firmware in the router or elsewhere. Small details are needed so members can see what they've found before to help.

Bob

Collapse -
More info....
by peterjknight2003 / September 15, 2007 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

SSID is being broadcast. The wireless router being used is a BT Voyager 2500 and has the latest firmware. Even after the printer has disappeared from the list of printers on the laptop it is still visible as being one of the wireless clients on the router.

On the laptop I have automatic updates turned on.

Collapse -
"On the laptop I have automatic updates turned on."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2007 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: More info....

Remember this does nothing about getting the printer drivers or printer firmware updated.

-> If HP does not have an answer (or updates) I suggest you pack and return the product as not ready for the market. There could be a firewall issue but your post doesn't note you use such.

Bob

Collapse -
More....
by peterjknight2003 / September 15, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

The printer is two plus years old and was working with a previous XP laptop. I'm convinced it's a Vista problem....

Collapse -
Of a firewall one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2007 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: More....

I'm easily convinced as well. Vista is a rough ride for those with prior gear.

Bob

Collapse -
In addition to what Bob said
by PudgyOne / September 16, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

about the firewall,

Did you try updating the firmware for the AIO Printer?

I had a similar problem and after updating the firmware in the printer, it finds it most of the time. Still a little problem when I try to scan a copy to my laptop, but it's rare.

I also use WPA security

Rick

Collapse -
There are 2 solutions to this
by Hajman / October 4, 2007 7:23 AM PDT

1. HP is now releasing critical updates for this issue for some or all of its all-in-ones. I have a Photosmart 6150 and I got an email from HP on 10/3 telling me of the update. Check their website to see if the update also applies to your printer as well.

2. The printer is indeed disappearing. It disappears when you resume from hibernate and perhaps standby/sleep because it is uninstalling itself. If the update does not apply to your printer, you can disable the network service that is causing the problem. It will stop the printer from uninstalling but may generate a error message upon resume. THe service is HP CUE (some words after that too) and is in Control Panel | Administration Tools | Services.

Collapse -
How to fix printer going off net & also fix auto turn off!
by NealPhx / March 3, 2009 3:47 PM PST

Since it took me several days to find and fix these issues I decided I would post a thorugh reply here to help all distressed users of HP printers that have the following two PROBLEMS.

1. The wireless printer keeps disappearing from Vista computer even though when you try reinstall the install program says it is already there!

2. The HP printer keeps turning off after 30 minutes or so. You have to walk up the damn printer and turn the freaking thing on.

ANSWER TO #1
=============

First surest method to fix this problem -- do not hibernate your PC
--------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all I start by cursing the lousy engineer/PM mofu/******* who came up with this feature. HP - Fire these idiots that have caused problems to thousands of your users! These morons should be working at Circuit City (sic).

Here is how you fix the problem. The number one surest way to do this is to turn off hibernation on your computer. This is the easiest fix. This is because the HP service that is installed deinstalls the printer after hibernation for some weird reason. I suspect this to be the case. You somehow also may have turned your printer on anf off in which case it found a new IP address. However, the HP service coming off of hibernation may work with the old addreess instead of doing a new discovery! If my theory is true the logic HP used may have been that the printer won't work anyway because it knows the previous wrong IP address so why not just deinstall. The correct solution would have been to rediscover the printer, perhaps compare it's serial number to make sure it is the same printer as before, and then automatically re-associate the IP address and no do the deinstall. Someone at HP got lazy! If you want to not hibernate your PC then go to Personalize (normally found by right clicking on any place on the monitor), select ScreenSaver, Select Power Settings.

Second surest way to fix this but needs just a little bit more work
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start Search (found by clicking on the Windows logo at the lower bottom left of the screen) and type "Services" and hit Enter. You get a permissions window pop up asking if you want to start Microsoft Management Console. Continue. Select from the list of services HP CUE Device Discovery Service. Right click on it and select Properties. In Properties you will see an option called Startup Type which by default is set to Enabled. Select Disabled and then in the bottom click Apply. You are done!

Cuss those HP idiots who otherwise ruined a great product and happy problem fixing!

Collapse -
Answer to #2 Question from above (Disabling Auto Turnoff )
by NealPhx / March 3, 2009 3:53 PM PST

Make sure you have installed the printer and can see it in Printers under Vista. Now right click on it. Select Device Settings. Choose "No" for Select The Hardware Auto-Off Feature. Click Apply. You are done!

As I have expressed my frustration before some numbnut HP engineer and PM probably got teary eyed about global warming and made the default answer to this as "YES". Complete morons who should be fired immediately and go seek employment at the bankrupt Circuit City! They have probably been laid off anyways! Engineers and PM's should do what the users expect and not enforce themselves on usres in this despicable way! Just Google and see just how many users have this problem! Give the power to the users to do what they want with a feature like this!!!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!