The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

I just want to use my computer

by stone_guy / December 24, 2010 11:59 AM PST

HOW DO PEOPLE GET STUFF ONTO MY MACHINE IN MY HOME WITHOUT MY CONSENT THAT TAKES AWAY MY TIME.

I have to clear out double click and other cookies all the time. Everytime I go online some JERK puts crap on my machine without my consent and against my will.
I feel violated to the fullest. I want it to stop.
I want to punch the MFr who puts ANYTHING AT ALL!!! on my machine.,
I WANT A LAW AGAINST IT.
when my machine runs well with your buulshit tracking cookies, I won't mind. UNTIL THEN STOP SCREWING UP MY REGISTRY AND MY CACHE AND MY LIFE *******!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I just want to use my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I just want to use my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try something else?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 2:17 AM PST

Many people when they reach this stage move to some iPad or Apple machine.

Collapse -
Ugh...
by Slikkster / December 27, 2010 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Try something else?

So Mac's are somehow immune to tracking cookies? Really? That's a new one by me. Maybe we should all get Macs so then we'd live in the Utopian world where nothing ever goes wrong and we have perfect security, and hackers would never ever try to propagate trojans and viruses because...well...they're Macs after all, and who would do that to a Mac?

This is all just silly. The guy's got a beef with tracking cookies. That's a matter of user-selected security settings in the browser, no matter the OS and no matter browser. Almost every browser has a "Private" mode now where cookies aren't even stored in the session.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Ugh...

It may be silly but I'm encountering folk that want a PC that works like a water fountain. No muss or fuss, just press the button and out comes the water.

They don't want to know about collecting water, the storage, treatment or delivery systems or how security of the water supply works. They just want the water.

Today's PCs (with Windows) has us learning to install some internet software or access (water delivery) as well as security software or at times remove pests from the machine. A lot of folk don't want this.

The Apple solutions tend to be closer to getting water at the restaurant where you are served but pay a premium.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?