Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I just saw a Halliburton commercial on WUSA, channel 9.

by James Denison / February 23, 2004 1:30 AM PST

Some guy about 50, very soft spoken and easy attitude spoke in calming terms about the good that Halliburton was doing in Iraq for our troops in order to help the people of Iraq. Good commercial. Maybe I can find it, or maybe someone else can. I'm looking at Halliburton.com site, but don't see it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I just saw a Halliburton commercial on WUSA, channel 9.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I just saw a Halliburton commercial on WUSA, channel 9.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found it!
by James Denison / February 23, 2004 1:37 AM PST
http://www.halliburton.com/news/archive/2004/corpnws_020504.jsp

HOUSTON, Texas - Halliburton today announced the launch
of a new television commercial featuring its president and CEO
David J. Lesar. The 30 second ad addresses a number of the
misrepresentations the company says have been part of the
national political debate during the presidential campaign.

Specifically, Halliburton answers the suggestion that its
contracts in Iraq were awarded because of anything but the
quality of the company?s work.

?We?re serving the troops because of what we know, not who
we know,? Lesar says during the commercial.

?You?ve heard a lot about Halliburton lately,? Lesar opens the
ad.

?Criticism is OK. We can take it. Criticism is not failure.

?Our employees are doing a great job. We?re feeding the
soldiers. We?re rebuilding Iraq.

?Will things go wrong? Sure they will. It?s a war zone.

?But when they do, we?ll fix it. We always have ? for 60 years
for both political parties.

?We?re serving the troops because of what we know, not who
we know.?

The spot closes with the company?s slogan used in other
commercials: Halliburton. Proud to serve our troops.

A Halliburton spokeswoman, Wendy Hall, said the ads address
misstatements and wrong information put forward recently in
the presidential political campaigns.

?We are clearing up the record,? Hall said. ?Just as our ad
says, we want people to understand that we get our business
based on the skills and abilities of our employees to deliver
quality services to those who need them. We are very good at
what we do, and we have done it for 60 years for both
Republican and Democratic administrations.?

?We understand that the war is a legitimate campaign issue,?
said Hall. ?But in the words of the late Senator Daniel Patrick
Moynihan, people are entitled to their own opinion. They are
not entitled to their own facts.?

The company did not discuss where the advertising will run.
Collapse -
Re: I just saw a Halliburton commercial on WUSA, channel 9.

Hi, James.

That commercial (which they have been running for more than a week in Houston) is actually a now-illegal soft-money contribution to Bush-Cheney, especially given that last line about "we got the job because of what we can do, not who we know." But I don't expect the FEC to act on it -- they're too busy trying to put the kibosh on Moveon.org and other anti-Bush funding sources.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
You will have a hard time proving it is 'soft money' ...
by Bill Osler / February 23, 2004 2:47 AM PST

Haliburton is taking a huge beating in the news right now. It is more-or-less predictable that they want to defend themselves. I don't see anything untoward in that.

Also, since one of the specific charges is that they got their contracts by virtue of their history with the Vice President, they pretty much have to disclaim that.

Collapse -
What no one seems to remember is
by Bo Boggs / February 23, 2004 4:00 AM PST

that Halliburton got the contracts for US Army assistance in iraq because of a DOD contract awarded in 1999 which made them the sole source, no bid supplier of emergency assistance.

Guess which administration awarded that contract.

Bo

Collapse -
I agree
by James Denison / February 23, 2004 4:50 AM PST

this seems related more to company image than anything political, other than due to the political fallout causing public damage to their company's image.

Collapse -
Ok, I'll ask
by Roger NC / February 23, 2004 4:08 AM PST

How is an ad defending their actions in Iraq and/or elsewhere '...a now-illegal soft-money contribution to Bush-Cheney,...'

I'll grant they'd rather see Bush-Cheney win, but nothing I read at the link did anything but reply to charges and allegations against them and their business practices in general terms. Public relations? sure, spin? ok, but it certainly isn't any more if as much a political ad as some of the ones you're referring to that spend lots of money advertising for Democratic policies but are allowed because they don't mention a candidate perse.

At least, IMO.

If there is something in the TV ad that isn't in the link, maybe that would seem different to me.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!