Computer Help forum

General discussion

I just formatted my computer...

by greenj14 / September 28, 2009 4:20 PM PDT

So, we had a virus on our computer that would not allow us to run a virus scan or to clean anything up. Every time we tried to run a scan, it would shut off mid-scan and we wouldn't be able to run it again...

We decided to just format the system and now the computer seems to be running even worse than before... We are able to run scans (which now come up clean) but everything is just running really slowly and freezing up. On the internet, scrolling down pages is extremely choppy and freezes a lot... I have no idea what is going on...

Also, I don't know how to make my speakers work again... (probably unrelated... I'm just clueless...)

Anyone that could shed some light on this or try to help me?? I'm a university student and I'm desperate. I NEED my computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I just formatted my computer...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I just formatted my computer...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I just formatted my computer...
by tasha1133 / September 28, 2009 4:41 PM PDT

it could be a hardware issue this time since the harddrive has been formatted already.. the cpu must be damaged, or the motherboard.. I remembered this happening to my old PC and the problem was with the motherboard.. If you don't know how to check it yourself, you better call the repairman..

Collapse -
Re: format
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2009 5:40 PM PDT

You don't format a computer, you format a partition.

If you format the partition that contains windows (usually the c:) it won't run at all until reinstall Windows. But you don't write about that.

If you format any other partition (d:, e:, etc) Windows is unchanged. But that doesn't seem to be the case either.

So my questions:
- what did you do after formatting?
- assuming you installed an OS, what was the source?
- are you sure you installed all necessary drivers (such as the video driver, the sound driver, the network card driver)?

Some other symptoms (such as freezing) might point to hardware issues. In that case the machine NEEDS repair.

Kees

Collapse -
re
by greenj14 / September 28, 2009 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: format

We reinstalled windows xp. Installed some of our programs.

Installed windows XP from a disc that came with our computer when we bought it.

Collapse -
Did there come something like ...
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2009 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: re

a driver and utilities CD also? And did you use that?

Only YOU can know what disk it is and if one disk is enough? We don't know until you tell us.

Kees

Collapse -
A good system reload...
by Willy / September 28, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

You gave no mention of your system details other than simple computer and formatted HD. It boils down to how you reformatted and regardless of later virus scans, it maybe still at work depending on how you cleaned the system. While reformatting could clear the virus, your lack of details offers nothing if the system having "partitions(virtual HD)" where your system recovery/restore" could possibility reside as well as any virus too. Reloading the OS, involves also the system OS updates, drivers and your needed programs, etc.. before you try to reuse the system to include firewall, AV, and malware protection schemes, etc.. be updated to latest. Lack of speakers, suggest you didn't do a full driver reload and/or whatever discs you have are lacking or you need to visit some support website to get those if no driver disc, etc.. Wrong or improper driver loading can cause issues but again, no details. Its important to be sure you're loading what it needs plus use the latest(verify via support website) drivers.

If it still is slow you may have a true h/w fault that is cropping-up as a slow system but really is building-up to a failure of some sort. Alas, the virus can spread to your back-up files and/or offline media like flash drives, etc., which can re-infect the system. I use an AV pgm. called AVAST, which upon 1st install, offers a "boot scan" before it finally finishes the install. Its important to do this low-level scan as it scans the system before any(possible malware) has a chance to load and thus get detected and removed. Once done and finished, the system is booted. Then I get the latest Avast updates and scan again at a higher level to flush any possible remaining malware if present.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
A good system reload...
by tasha1133 / September 29, 2009 7:02 PM PDT

there could be some virus left.. Clean install.. it fails again, it could be hardware problem..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?