General discussion

I just did a fresh install of XP Pro and

When it was setting up etc.. it took the admin account and put my name there. before i realized it, I had already installed all my programs and files back on pc. then I realized, I dont have that admin acct people talk about when they say go to safe mode in the admin acct. etc... I know that mine is the admin acct with the priviledges.. but i seems like i read somewhere one time that you should have separate admin acct for trouble shooting and stuff. and also that would be password protected. I am the only one that uses the pc.
it is wireless laptop, 80gb,dvdrw,nvidia card64mb ded, 512mbram, amd 64, 64bit encrypted router, zonealarm,adaware,spywareblaster,spybot,nav etc.

do i need to create another acct and call it admin?
do i need to have a password?
or is having one acct safe to have on the pc with admin priviledges which is currently how it is set up.
thanks in advance

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I just did a fresh install of XP Pro and
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I just did a fresh install of XP Pro and
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Take a look in User Accounts....

of Control Panel. If you click on "change the way users log on and off" and deselect "Use the Welcome screen", apply the options then log off, your login window will prompt you to type in the accounts name. Try typing in administrator, without any password and see if your hidden account appears.

- Collapse -
Re: XP Pro Install

You do not necessairly need another administrative account for your laptop, one is usually sufficient.

What you may want to do instead is to create another account, via user accounts under the control panel, and make it a limited account. This way you can use your laptop safely and have that seperate administrative account for when you need to install/remove software or drivers or boot into safe mode and repair your system.

To answer your password question: Yes. Every account you have on that computer should have a password. The password should include a couple of numbers as well as letters to make it safer. For better protection from hacking attempts add symbol characters (e.g. @, #, ;, * ).

Your third question: I personally only have one account on my pc and it is a password protected admin account. But I do that because am confident of what I'm doing and have other precautions against messing things up. I'm also the only one who uses my computer.

In my opinion, you don't need a second admin account to use for safe mode.

- Collapse -
I created a second administrator account

after reading some of the horror stories here from people who were locked out. I don't have either using a password since I am the only user and there isn't anything on the computer in need of high security. It means an extra click at startup but, that doesn't take a second of my time.

- Collapse -
my point... exactly.. what really is a newbie to do

HELP
lock outs, pc crashes, etc.. this is a confusing issue for those concerned about security,safety etc..
if a moderator could shed some light maybe it would help.

- Collapse -
For a newbie: general help to improve your knowledge:

? There is built-in Windows help (Help and Support) at Start>

? You can Google for answers or you can ask the butler (www.askjeves.com). There is also the MS kb site. You can also make a search at this forum.

? You will be surprised at the wealth of information that can be found. Choose what you want to read, as only you know what you need. It takes time and effort to find the information, but you will progress from a newbie to an 'experienced' and beyond.

? Of course, you can always use these forums to ask specific questions and problems. So, what are you confused about ?

- Collapse -
Not a Mod,

but a Moderator here, (it was either Cetin or Grif), recommended that I create a second Admin account in case my main one failed for any reason.

I did so and feel safer with it. It is not password protected.

Mark

- Collapse -
What's to decide?

Simply create a second administrator account.

- Collapse -
Admin account

You may already have two Admin account. One is the hidden Main Admin account (which should not be for daily use), the other one is with your name. Boot up with Safe Mode to check whether you have an Administrator and an account with your name at the log-in screen.

You do not create an account and call (name ?) it 'Admin'. You create an account and give it Admin privileges, thereby creating an "Administrator Account", which you can give whatever name you want. You need an extra Admin account for full access if your other account is unusable. It is up to you to give it a password.

- Collapse -
the REAL Admin Account

If you want to work with the real admin account , follow
the following steps :

* You have only 1 account ? Then start up windows.
* Log out .
* on your logon screen press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice .
* Now you get a login-screen : type administrator in
the logon-field .
you can type a password or you can leave the password
field open .
* windows now starts your administrator-session !!

CNET Forums

Forum Info