Linux forum

General discussion

i just ask.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i just ask.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i just ask.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
De Raadt is ?difficult? and declined to comment further.

In reply to: i just ask.

BSD is an option. You can try it and decide.

Bob

Collapse -
I agree with Bob...

In reply to: De Raadt is ?difficult? and declined to comment further.

If you wish, try BSD and see. There are some dedicated BSD fans on the Web.

However, I am going to add the comment that this guy has a strong bias, based on his own competing project.

His description would make one think Linux doesn't work very well, right? And, reality is far different.

Collapse -
i'm curious

In reply to: I agree with Bob...

what part of his statement is wrong about linux? i know he is biased. but that doesn't cut it.

Collapse -
biased does not make it wrong.

In reply to: i'm curious

Keep reading about the Dr. and Linus and it will become clearer what's up.

You are seeing the war of two camps on the subject of BSD, Linux and nothing more than that.

-> Years ago the same debate was about BSD and ATT Unix. But you'd have to remember it.

Bob

Collapse -
reading.

In reply to: biased does not make it wrong.

i am a reader. but if i wanted to read i wouldn't ask here.

deimos thanks you.

Collapse -
robert

what is your opinion? you don't have to come back with very technical information, but just your opinion about it. is de raadt wrong?

Collapse -
Some false information...

In reply to: i just ask.

Obviously, the guy's very biased. Of course, so am I, being that I'm running Linux rather than BSD lol. Anyway, the article has quite a bit not quite "false" information but spin- misleading. Such as "don't they see how bad it is?" He doesn't list reasons. Also, he doesn't acnowledge that he just credited the whole Linux spirit: if it's broken, fix it, rather than ditching it. They keep working if there's problems, which really benefits all its users.

There are other parts, such as "I think our code quality is higher, just because that's really a big focus for us." "Linux has never been about quality." ROFLMAO! If software development isn't about code quality, I'm really wondering what it IS about. Obviously everyone, even in many cases Microsoft, try for code quality. As for "There's also a difference in motivation. "Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft. We do what we do because we love Unix," that's complete bull as well in that SOME Linux users do what they do because of MS hatetred, and some do it out of love for Linux. Often it's part one and part the other. There's a whole very diverse group of people, and what's he's doing is utter stereotyping, and broadcasting his people as angelic.

Last comment:
"You know what I found? Right in the kernel, in the heart of the operating system, I found a developer's comment that said, 'Does this belong here?' "Lok says. "What kind of confidence does that inspire? Right then I knew it was time to switch." Yes, in many millions of lines of code, there's going to be some disagreements. It happens sometimes, Mr. Raadt, and it happens with BSD systems as well lol.

Sour grapes I'd say.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!