Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I hope this is just internet hype

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I hope this is just internet hype
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I hope this is just internet hype
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Absolutely shameful

In reply to: I hope this is just internet hype

Especially the guy who hung the Jesus banner in the locker room. He should know how many people have been scarred for life by just seeing one of those hideous things. The mental torture is something no one should have to endure.;)]:)

Collapse -
You're joking, of course

In reply to: Absolutely shameful

but do you feel this behavior is appropriate, if true?

Dan

Collapse -
Fact is, 'the Lord has a plan for all of us'

sounds pretty tame compared with "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition" or "Gott Mit Uns." Especially when both slogans were used while the sloganers were busy "preaching" to each other with napalm, frag grenades, .50 cal. water-cooleds and so on.
And they're all positively tame compared with Dan 2:44.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico, where the school kids start the day with pledges to two flags.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) BFHD

Collapse -
rape out, jesus in?

dammed if you do, dammed if you don't...

Collapse -
With any kind of luck

In reply to: rape out, jesus in?

there is some middle ground between rape and forced religiosity.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don?t believe in God? Shouldn?t be an officer then.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why? What utter rubbish !!!

In reply to: (NT) Don?t believe in God? Shouldn?t be an officer then.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're kidding, right?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not kidding at all

In reply to: (NT) You're kidding, right?

Collapse -
According to the people of this country

In reply to: (NT) Not kidding at all

anyone who doesnt profess a belief in 'the supreme deity', should never hold office in the congress or the Whitehouse.

When people say, "Anyone can be president", they are only talking about Christians.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And just what people say that?

In reply to: According to the people of this country

Collapse -
at a guess, christians?

In reply to: (NT) And just what people say that?

i.e. not muslims or hindus

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amen, brother...

In reply to: at a guess, christians?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) All Christians you say ?

In reply to: at a guess, christians?

Collapse -
i didn't say ''all'' christians

In reply to: (NT) All Christians you say ?

but you can assume that i did mean that ''all'' muslims or ''all'' hindus will never be president...

Collapse -
Never say never

In reply to: i didn't say ''all'' christians

They used to say the same about Catholics and divorced people. Depends on the person.

Collapse -
Nonsense

For one thing there are many Jewish officeholders. Oops! There goes that silly theory!

Collapse -
Well, Jewish is close enough for Congressional work

In reply to: Nonsense

Dont think theyll vote for a Jew for President, yet. But theyll certainly not vote for an atheist, muslim or any other stripe for president.

Collapse -
So you believe in the 2nd Amendment, not the 1st?

Collapse -
Would you explain

your reasoning for this statment, please? Its truth is not self evident.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's ridiculous.

Collapse -
Yet another fundamentalist!

Not very far from a Taliban's point of view. The difference is that the Taliban's wear a long beard and call God Allah (which is the Arabic name of him/her/it).

Collapse -
And Taliban KILL people too

In reply to: Yet another fundamentalist!

that's a distinction you seem to forget.

Collapse -
Well, Gearup...

The chaplain preaching fire and brimstone is not that uncommon, as you wouldn't have to look far around here on Sunday mornings., or on TV.

As for the rest, IMO, the cadets are being prepared for war times as officers. Officers are the ones who say, "Follow me!" War is hell. Air Force personnel (as well a those from other services) have been POWs, many of which were subjugated to torture. They had to put up with a lot while keeping their focus.

Having to pray? Easy! Just bow your head and concentrate on your shoes, or the words to a favorite song.

A prayer is often offered before a mission. They had best get used to it.

Believe me - I do not support forcing one's brand of religion, or lack thereof. But if cadets cannot put such efforts in perspective, I wonder just what sort of officers they will be, especially in times of the stressful situations that arise in war.

They pay no tuition, just a promise to serve an x number of years following graduation. And they took an oath.

I have been to the Academy. The chapel is a beautiful building, and is ecumenical.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
or the words to a favorite song.

In reply to: Well, Gearup...

Happy

Amazing Grace? "Down to the River to Pray"...

jonah "wondering if born again christians have milk teeth" jones

Collapse -
They can tolerate such

In reply to: Well, Gearup...

mistreatment, but why should they have to and why should we subject them to it?

Surely we're better than that.

Dan

Collapse -
"Surely we're better than that."

In reply to: They can tolerate such

You'd think so, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Collapse -
It's obviously time to saddle up, and roll

the tanks into Colorado Springs. Those people are just too religious, and they won't keep it to themselves.

These are young men being trained to withstand the intense pressure of aerial combat are they not? Confident, with lightening reflexes, and a high level of intelligence. We've got to protect them from preachers? We've got to prohibit their officers from talking about the personal values that guide their lives? They can't think for themselves? They need a nanny?

There's more here than meets the eye IMO. No one should be forced to believe anything. I don't think that's been tried here, and it wouldn't work if it did. However, people must be free to exercise and express their beliefs. That's what the Constitution says.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.