General discussion

I hope I answered your question...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/04/obamas-17-minute-2500-word-res.html

Toward the end of a question-and-answer session with workers at an advanced battery technology manufacturer, a woman named Doris stood to ask the president whether it was a "wise decision to add more taxes to us with the health care" package.

"We are over-taxed as it is," Doris said bluntly.

Obama started out feisty. "Well, let's talk about that, because this is an area where there's been just a whole lot of misinformation, and I'm going to have to work hard over the next several months to clean up a lot of the misapprehensions that people have," the president said.

He then spent the next 17 minutes and 12 seconds lulling the crowd into a daze.
-----------------------------
Don't ask; he might tell?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I hope I answered your question...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I hope I answered your question...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) I watched that speech live.
- Collapse -
17 minutes and 12 seconds

She was lucky he gave the short answer.

Any mention of a teleprompter in the story?

- Collapse -
He actually answered her.

There will be some new taxes, like on medical durable equipment. But trough misrepresentation of the facts, a fear has been raised that everybody's income taxes will raise dramatically.

Of course, it cannot be logically denied that income taxes on everybody won't be raised in the future by any succeeding administration.

Local taxes, like property ones, sales taxes, state income taxed, etc. all put a burden on pocketbooks, and are devastating to others. Couple those with increasing health care cost, college tuitions, and other factors that impact families, add to the burdens.

Yet, we continue to ask for more. We want the potholes filled yesterday, plenty of police on patrol, streets clear of homeless, low school taxes, the seasonal flooding of normally serene creels stopped. etc. And we want federal agencies to keep us safe and a volunteer military to safeguard our freedom.

IMO, it takes money to live in a developed society.

But "your taxes will go up" is an effective campaign tool.

Angeline

- Collapse -
But "your taxes will go up" is an effective campaign tool.

Specially when it's true....

The Admin's claims that they won't is a lie.

- Collapse -
They could always submit the request

off budget like the previous administration.

Diana

- Collapse -
Most of us DON'T ask for more

but we end up paying for those that do continually ask for more.

"Of course, it cannot be logically denied that income taxes on everybody won't be raised in the future by any succeeding administration."

Since the current President has a well documented history of voting "present", it may well be true that Obama will not raise taxes. (but I doubt that and think he will.)

How do you think the current Democrat Congress and President will pay for their trillions of dollars of NEW spending?

- Collapse -
No??

No ideas as to how trillions of dollars of NEW spending will be paid for without Obama raising taxes?

- Collapse -
sure

take the money that won't be spent in Iraq and later on from Afghanistan, a billion here a billion there, after while it starts to add up.

- Collapse -
I quote me

"Of course, it cannot be logically denied that income taxes on everybody won't be raised in the future by any succeeding administration. "

Angeline

- Collapse -
what do you think will happen then?

Obama's wanting to put his huge spending on a credit card and leave the debt to future administrations to pick up the tab for it. Taxes may go up then because they must, to pay off the credit card, but services will end up being cut back too. I'd say they'd end the program but I know better, since Congress can't end anything. It even took an Amendment to end Prohibition.

- Collapse -
what do you think will happen then?
wanting to put his huge spending on a credit card and leave the debt to future administrations to pick up the tab for it.

what do you think will happen?

He'll serve 2 terms, pass the debt on, just like his predecessors. Same as has been going on since the beginning....

Change, you don't want change, you can't handle change.
- Collapse -
I supported the trillions of borrowing

......... for the Iraq War, but not for nation building. Millions mysteriously disappeared when allocated to civilian contractors.

I consider it much less painful to borrow to rebuild the US infrastructure that had been left to deteriorate over several administrations, and for programs that improve the safety, security, and health of our own citizens.

We owe another heavy debt to those warriors that were wounded physically and mentally. They were sent into Iraq on the cheap. Providing the proper care and rehabilitation will not come cheap. The resolve to fund this might be weak.

Again, logic tells me that one day there will be a tax increase. A tax surcharge could help. But, you see, there is such a choir of "Don't tax me!" that I doubt that many are willing to pay more now in rder to lessen the burden on our children and grandchildren. What I hear on the forum is to leave my pocketbook alone, but it is awful to run up debt for our progeny.

Angeline

- Collapse -
I agree with you

I felt for a long time we should have gone in, bombed them back to the Stone Age, secure the oil fields, give the various factions funds from those, and except for protecting the oil fields, pulled the troops out and let them fight it out in the streets if they wanted to. I would even have given every househould a handgun and 100 rounds of ammunition to protect themselves with, just to help keep the time for any tyrants rising back up again, off more to the future.

I'm tired of us going in, winning the war itself, but staying too long afterwards. We aren't willing to do what needs to be done as an occupier, that's not who we really are.

- Collapse -
A little help for you
- Collapse -
So, Obama will punt?

"Present"
Great leadership

- Collapse -
IF he's just saying "Present".....

What's Obamacare about?

He shouldn't get the credit/blame for that...he's just saying "present"

- Collapse -
Are you prepared to pay more now

.... so that the burden on succeeding generations could be lightened?

Angeline

- Collapse -
No I am not

I want the government to spend LESS !!!!!!!!!!!!

- Collapse -
LESS on what?

Going to the moon and beyond?

On the Military?

Less on Homeland Security?

Don't say Healthcare...because they haven't started spending on that yet, have they?

Give some examples so people know where you stand.

- Collapse -
spending on military...

...is for the quality of people who are willing to put their lives on the line for this country, whereas the spending for many on various and multiple welfare programs isn't. Why should we be expected to pick up the bill for loose women, gigolos, illegitimate children, HIV infections from promiscuity, etc? I like the Apostle Paul's idea, "he that will not work, neither let him eat".

- Collapse -
Exactly! Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Since when has paying more helped?

CNET Forums

Forum Info