Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I hope I am not outside SE policy, but...

by caktus / March 3, 2009 9:05 AM PST

I just can't believe this guy is second in command.

Limbaugh Speech Fact Check: Joe Biden's 'Stimulus Package' Cluelessness
By P.J. Gladnick (Bio | Archive)
March 1, 2009 - 14:29 ET

Will the mainstream media continue to attack Rush Limbaugh's speech to CPAC yesterday on the basis of "feelings" such as Bill Schneider of CNN did? Schneider called the speech "angry," "mocking," "bullying," and "full of contempt." What Schneider conveniently left out was any sort of challenge about Limbaugh's facts. So let this humble correspondent do the fact checking that the MSM seems to be reluctant to do. One of the most amusing facts that Limbaugh cited was the absolutely cluelessness about the Barack Obama stimulus package on the part of Vice President Joe Biden:

Joe Biden, ladies and gentlemen, was watching CBS -- when did you start here? Thursday. You might have seen this. The days run together. It might have been Wednesday, but Biden was on the CBS Early Show. And he was asked -- the anchorette -- sorry. I'm trying to change my ways. I've been doing women summit programs so not to offend women. The anchor, Maggie Rodriguez, went out and got some man-on-the-street questions. And one guy, woman, I think question for Biden. What is in the stimulus package for small business? Biden was clearly stumped because there isn't anything in the stimulus package for small business. So what Biden said, honest to God, what Biden said was: Well, if there's a bridge to your small business, we're going to make sure that bridge stays open so that you can get to your small business and your customers -- honest. I kid you not. Now, of course, the media today is a bunch of hacks, they're out there as PR agents; they're starting to get a little embarrassed.

So how correct was Limbaugh in that assertion. Well, a check of the video shows that Rush, if anything, downplayed the absolute cluelessness of Biden:

MAGGIE RODRIGUEZ:
Mr. Vice-President, we watched the speech last night with a cross-section of Americans and asked them if they had questions for you. And I'd like to share one of them with you from a viewer who had to lay off most of her staff last year. Take a listen.

QUESTIONER: What I'm looking for are real clear details about how is the stimulus package really going to help small businesses.

RODRIQUEZ: Mr. Vice-President?

JOE BIDEN: Well, there's a number of ways. It depends on what your business is. I would recommend that woman call my office directly and I will be able to guide her as to what pieces of this package would be directly helpful to her. For example, it may very well be that she is in a circumstance where she is not able...her customers aren't able to get to her. There's no transit capability. The bridge going across the crick to get to her business needs repair. It may very well be that she is in a position where she is unable to access her energy costs are so high by providing smart meters by being able to bring down the cost of her work force through the cost of operating her business...

Yeah, all a small business owner has to do is call the Vice-President's office and good ol' Joe himself will painstakingly guide her through the intricacies of the stimulus package. Rush Limbaugh actually gave Biden a break by not mentioning that laughable absurdity.

Here is another claim by Limbaugh about Biden:

Maggie Rodriguez says, Senator Biden, there's a website that answers all these questions. What is the name of the website and Biden says I don't know. He looks off stage. "Does somebody have the website number?"

True or not? Was Joe Biden actually this clueless over the name of his own Recovery website address? Again, your humble correspondent performs the fact checking that the MSM neglects to

Imagine that! Rush Limbaugh's facts actually check out. Are you paying attention, Bill Schneider?

?P.J. Gladnick is a freelance writer and creator of the DUmmie FUnnies blog.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2009/03/01/limbaugh-speech-fact-check-joe-bidens-stimulus-package-cluelessness

No wonder ultra libs want to shut Rush down. He's blabbing State's secrets.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I hope I am not outside SE policy, but...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I hope I am not outside SE policy, but...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think SE has outlawed humor.
by Kiddpeat / March 3, 2009 10:45 AM PST

Yet.

Collapse -
I think...
by J. Vega / March 3, 2009 10:46 AM PST

I think that the mainstream media will continue to attack. But it is not just him, consider the 1 March story about Bobby Jindal on 60 Minutes.
Two things in particular caught my eye. First, Safer's words " Jindal has been called the great beige hope of the Republican Party." Has been called by whom? A search for that term being directed towards Jindal seems to come up with a collection of references to 60 Minutes use of it. In my opinion, calling him that was out of line.
Second, Safer said "But that sunny "Leave it to Beaver" optimism is classic Bobby Jindal, a man so determined to be true blue American, he changed his name.". I can't seem to find records of Jindal legally changing his name. It appears to just be a nickname he chose to use. His actual name is Piyush, but he chose a nickname - big deal. The first thing that came to my mind was another former Representative in the House who also went by a nickname, Thomas O'Neill, better known as "Tip".

Collapse -
RE: "Tip"--now there's a name I doun't here much these days.
by caktus / March 3, 2009 6:43 PM PST
In reply to: I think...

BTW, wasn't it he and Ted Kennedy who brought up the idea of allowing Congressmen to drink on the job i.e. "The Three Martini Lunch", so they could "properly conduct business negotiations with lobiests?" No wonder the Country has gone to hell, they've been getting drunk on the job all these years!

Collapse -
I had a friend from the Ukraine who changed
by Kiddpeat / March 3, 2009 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: I think...

his name to help Americans pronounce it correctly. The spelling was different, but the sound of saying was correct. That's now a bad thing in the 60 minute view?

Collapse -
A good example of that...
by J. Vega / March 4, 2009 1:44 AM PST

A good example of that can be found in many pantries with the products of Hector Boiardi, better known as Chef Boyardee. He changed the label name to aid correct pronunciation.

Collapse -
Not a state secret....
by EdHannigan / March 3, 2009 7:44 PM PST

that Biden is clueless.

Collapse -
(NT) You got me there!
by caktus / March 3, 2009 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Not a state secret....
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / March 3, 2009 9:15 PM PST
He looks off stage. "Does somebody have the website number?"

Then the interviewer is talking...the camera is still on Biden.... no one walks on and whispers in his ear and then he gives the website.

I didn't hear anyone prompt him with the website name or see anyone pass him a piece of paper (with the website name).

Sure he makes some foolish statements....but he's still an amateur.
Collapse -
He forgot the URL for a few seconds, then remembered it
by Josh K / March 3, 2009 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Response

Big deal. OK, he referred to it as the "web site number." If he had been unable to come up with it, perhaps he could have used the Internets to look it up on The Google. Wink

As for Rush and his dittoheads, it's quite amusing to see them engaging in the very same behavior they derided as "bashing" and downright unpatriotic during the previous administration. I guess they were serving extra portions of hypocrisy at this event.

Collapse -
Did you read the whole thing?
by EdHannigan / March 3, 2009 11:34 PM PST

I don't think so.

You exaggerate and distort the objections people had to the Bush bash stuff. It was disgusting lies and false accusations people objected to. The Rush material about Biden really happened. See the diff?

Cowboy up. If you're gonna dish it out you have to be able to take it. When you point your finger, you have three more fingers pointing back at you.

Collapse -
Yes, Ed, I read the whole thing.....
by Josh K / March 4, 2009 3:46 AM PST

....but if I missed something perhaps I can contact the "anchorette" to get the full scoop. Class act, that Rush.

And no, I am not exaggerating the objections people had to the Bush stuff. I've already posted links to many of the "anti-American" comments and worse that appeared in this forum on a regular basis. I'm glad you've come around though; I saw the recent (locked) thread in which you said you felt it was your civic duty to speak up when you think our leaders are taking us down a wrong path. I agree completely, which is why I did so during the previous administration.

Collapse -
Missed the whole point.
by EdHannigan / March 4, 2009 5:31 AM PST

Your posting of "many of the "anti-American" comments and worse that appeared in this forum on a regular basis." was pretty much a bust since such never appeared on a regular basis here. As I recall it was fairly laughable. The sludge from ant-Bush people was far far worse and much of it was outright lies.

Rush was right on in his comments about Biden. Live with it. You ignored the other parts and focused on the URL nonsense. Is it right that the person who has been tasked with cramming this stuff down our throats is unable to come up with a credible instance of how it will help ordinary small business?

As always, the test is to substitute Bush for Obama. The howls and derision if this had been said by a member of the Bush Admin would be never-ending.

Collapse -
(NT) You are.
by Dan McC / March 4, 2009 3:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Are you a Mod?
by EdHannigan / March 4, 2009 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: You are.

or just a nanny?

Collapse -
Is not...
by J. Vega / March 4, 2009 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: You are.

Is not the Churchills bust thread just as political? Why didn't you object to that one also?

Collapse -
Yes, Cactus. Locked
by Angeline Booher / March 4, 2009 6:36 AM PST

Your post is outside of the SE rules.

The rule having to do with politics.

I know how emotional each sides view both men, and all of the links and blogs written about them will never ever convince the other side just how wrong they are,

I really should delete the entire thread. However, you have been a member here for a long time. Thus I believe you will not post political content again.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?