Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I have Win.Media Player 9-should I change to WMP 11???

by tom4561 / August 30, 2007 9:50 AM PDT

Is it smart to change to windows media player 11. I have WinXP system. Thanks for any replies. Tom.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have Win.Media Player 9-should I change to WMP 11???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have Win.Media Player 9-should I change to WMP 11???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...YES!
by wtfdop0987 / August 30, 2007 9:58 AM PDT

I would strongly recommend an upgrade now, even if you use it very little. It's just plain stupid not to upgrade Windows software. There are many security holes in Windows XP, let alone WMP. I would upgrade right away...Just run windows update.

Collapse -
I'd say no
by Jackson Douglas / August 30, 2007 12:01 PM PDT

The best thing to do is not use WMP, since it's rather insecure. I'd suggest replacing it with VLC Player or MediaPlayer Classic + ffdshow. VLC Player is kind of an all in one solution, MediaPlayer Classic and ffdshow being two separate programs... Both amount to largely the same thing, but MediaPlayer Classic can use any codec installed on a system, while VLC Player will only use it's own set of decoders (which will handle just about anything you throw at it).

Collapse -
Update WMP
by tallin / August 30, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

Yes I strongly recommend you update to Media Player 11. There are vulnerabilities with the earlier software, that is in fact why Windows releases updated software for security reasons.

Collapse -
Um...
by Jackson Douglas / August 30, 2007 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Update WMP

Microsoft still releases security updates for WMP9, because that's what comes with SP2. And vulnerabilities are just a fact of life with Microsoft software, which is why it's best to avoid using it as much as possible.

Collapse -
No!
by caktus / August 30, 2007 1:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
If I Recall Correctly, Beyond Never Ending Security Patches,
by tobeach / August 30, 2007 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: No!

WMP 8 was the last version where spyware for the benefit MS & it's clients wasn't buried SOoooo deeply as to be irremovableby Spybot & others. I believe starting w/ WMP 9 it became hopeless. Part of "YOUR increased security" (LOL) of SP2. Could be wrong.... SadGrin

Collapse -
WMP 9
by caktus / August 31, 2007 4:34 AM PDT

seems to work flawlessly for me (though lately all I use is VLC media player.) And finding any spyware on my machine is a absolute rarety. In fact, it may have been will over a year since I've had any problem with spyware. At most, scans find desirable tracking cookies.

Though probably 6 or 8 months ago did fimd purely by accident, a dialer created to make calls to about a dozen different countries. Have no idea how I got it. None of my utilities ever caught it. Luckily my Internet phone line doesn't have long didtance service.

Collapse -
Meant "trap' rather than "track". After all...
by caktus / August 31, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No!

what is DRM if not just a big fat trap?

Obviously I could turn out to be wrong, but I have a feeling that as time goes on the trap will become broader. And that more and more, folks will be realizing that it is a problem for them.

Collapse -
(NT) In FULL Agreement w/You There (DRM) !! :D
by tobeach / August 31, 2007 3:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Depends on your usage...
by John.Wilkinson / September 1, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

WMP11's interface update catches the most attention, but I also enjoy added features such as the incredibly fast find-as-you-type functionality, which I believe Microsoft called Word Wheel. For those who regularly load songs onto an MP3 player, synchronization support has also been enhanced. On the DRM front my only complaint is the removal of WMP's ability to natively backup licenses, should you transfer the songs to a new computer and wish to avoid the hassle of re-downloading the associated licenses. Personally, I've upgraded all of my installations to WMP11, but that one removal may be your determining factor.

John

Collapse -
Thank you all for your replies. Thank you very much John.
by tom4561 / September 2, 2007 12:01 AM PDT

To install WMP 11, should I remove WMP 9 first? Also, should I use the Windows Update option to install WMP 11, or should I download it from Microsoft Website? Thanks, Tom.

Collapse -
I did a manual download and upgrade install...
by John.Wilkinson / September 2, 2007 2:30 AM PDT

I downloaded WMP11 the day it launched, and was running beta versions before that, but if it's appearing on Windows Update for you either way is fine. However, I wouldn't attempt to manually remove WMP9, especially if you have SP2 installed...bad for your health. Wink Instead just install WMP11 and it will overwrite WMP9, importing your multimedia collections as well.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Three versions of WMP installed
by hikergirl / February 24, 2009 5:46 AM PST

John,
I realize your last post on this thread was some time ago but...
I have Microsoft XP Pro w/SP3; Firefox browser
When I run Belarc Advisor, it indicates I have Windows Media Player 11, 6.4 and 9.
If, when the updates are installed, the older version is over-written, why does Belarc indicate I have 3 versions? I could really use the space the old versions may be using.
Thanks.
Pat

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!