Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I have two explorer.exe files...

Hi People,

I just noticed that my windows xp directory has two explorer.exe files - two different versions, one is names explorer (2). This one appears to be the original version dated 06/13/07 and a version # of 6.00.2900.3156 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070613-1234).
The newer one is dated 04/13/08 and has a version # of 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105).

Now, I came across this because I had to kill explorer through task manager earlier this morning because the computer wouldn't shut off, it would just sit there. I figured if I bought up task manager and killed and then restarted explorer I would be able to shut down the computer. This is how I found out I have two explorer files. This is the second time that my computer has acted strangely and not wanted to turn off and I had to hard shut it down with the power button.
I checked the Windows update sight and my update history and there were no windows updates installed on 04/13/08 (the date of the current explorer file).
I am just curious why I have two explorer.exe files and if this is the cause of the computer not wanting to turn off with the Start Turn Off buttons.
I am running Windows XP Media Center 2005 with service pack two. AMD dual core 64+ processor 3800+ with 2 GIG of RAM.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have two explorer.exe files...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have two explorer.exe files...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've got about the same.

In reply to: I have two explorer.exe files...

Version 5512, modification date 14-4-2008, that came with SP3, and version 3156, modification date 13-6-2007, that came with KB398828. The original SP2 one has a modification date of 10-4-2006, which is before I had this PC. So I assume the dates are the dates Microsoft made them, not the date I downloaded them. I'm sure I downloaded SP3 after midnight.

The difference: I've got only one in the Windows folder. It's strange that you have 2. I'd start with renaming the old one to explorer.old and see what happens.

I'm rather sure this isn't related to you shutdown troubles.

Kees

Collapse -
I have 7, but

6 of them are in folders like Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$, or Windows\$NtUninstallKB820291$, (another KB one is KB938828$).

Any chance one of your 2 is in a similar folder?

The one I have in C:\Windows is the latest version like yours, 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)

If your older one is in the Windows folder then obviously it shouldn't be there, and that (2) has been added because the later version either was there already, or should have replaced it completely, but instead left it behind and renamed it.

I am reluctant to suggest you remove the explorer(2).exe file, or even rename it to explorer(2).txt. Whilst I am positive that would not cause your system to go south, I am not 100% certain. Perhaps others here are.

I am surprised you needed the Task Manager to kill explorer.exe. Was that the error message that displayed, eg "End Program - Explorer.exe". If not, what made you decide it was explorer.exe that needed ending?

Often Explorer problems are malware related. Have you scanned your system since seeing this?

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for the replies

In reply to: I have 7, but

In my Windows directory I have:
explorer(2).exe
explorer.exe
explorer
this last one has a search folder type icon and for properties, it says Windows Command.
Then I have 4 more explorer.exe files in four different windows install folders.

The first time that the computer wouldn't shut down, I rebooted it into safe mode and did a virus scan with Avast (home free edition and updated) it found nothing. Then after that scan, I scheduled a thorough disc scan and rebooted the computer and let it scan. This didn't find anything either.
I was thinking that maybe the Software Update Manager was the culprit that cause the computer to not want to shut down, as I think the last time the computer did this the Software Update Manager tried to update. Both that day (I think) and this morning, the Software Update Manager tried to auto find updates and caused a Script error message. I since figured out how to set it to Manual Update so I am hoping it will not try to update again.

I was thinking that something had happened to explorer in the windows processes and that is why I tried ending that task and then re-starting it hoping that would make it shut down normally. But, it didn't work.

I am monitoring this posting if you have any ideas. Thanks
Happy

Collapse -
The difference. . .

explorer.exe - Opens Explorer with My Documents expanded.

explorer - Opens Explorer with the C: drive expanded.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.