Computer Help forum

General discussion

I have trojan horse virus and can't delete the file

by Dano007 / May 6, 2004 2:34 AM PDT

I have PSW.Perfect.A , PSW.Perfect.B, and PSW.Perfect.C, virus' on my computer. They've been attached to the file C:\_Restore\Temp\A008 (ect) files. My antivirus software could not remove four of the files and could not remove them to a vault either. I tried to delete the files but do not have access. How do I rid myself of these viruses.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have trojan horse virus and can't delete the file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have trojan horse virus and can't delete the file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:I have trojan horse virus and can't delete the file
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 3:20 AM PDT

a) Files in C:\_Restore are just files and the virus is inactive, but will annoy people that there is a file with the inactive virus.

b) Symantec, McAfee and almost all the antivirus vendors document how to delete these files. In short, you turn off System Restore and then turn it back on.

Bob

Collapse -
by rrochon / May 7, 2004 3:42 AM PDT

I don't know about trojan horses, but when I tried to delete a spyware on my hard drive I was told that it could not be deleted, so I just hit rename and added a letter to the front of the name, and it now cannot be found. Problem solved.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 4:42 AM PDT

Dano,

Temporarily disable System Restore like this:

To disable Windows XP System Restore:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click on the ?My Computer? icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the "System Restore" tab.
4. Check "Turn off system restore" or "Turn off system restore on all drives". Click on Apply, etc.

After following the above procedures, run a full system scan again. The file should be removable, if not already gone. Afterwards, "re-enable" System Restore, but UNCHECKING the box mentioned in the procedure above.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
C:\_Restore\Temp is a Windows ME indicator.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

But they didn't reveal that.

How to turn off and on is under the Start, Help and Support as well as the Antivirus vendors web site.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob, I'm Not Paying Attention
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 6:23 AM PDT

My apologies to Dano for the error.

To disable Windows Me System Restore:

1. Click Start, point to ?Settings?, and then click ?Control Panel?.
2. Double-click the ?System? icon. The System Properties dialog box appears.

NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.

3. Click the ?Performance? tab, and then click ?File System?.
4. Click the ?Troubleshooting? tab, and then check ?Disable System Restore?.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: C:\_Restore\Temp is a Windows ME indicator.
by linkjack / July 19, 2004 8:13 PM PDT

Geez! dont u lot no 2 much do u?
u need to start the computer in safe mode b4 u can get rid of most startup files, by pressing F8 whilst starting up. Then find the files and delete, then get rid of system restore then it should be all clear.

Collapse -
Dear linkjack.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

Windows ME is a really odd OS. The method of booting to SAFE MODE will not allow one to delete files in C:\_Restore.

As such, your advice is welcome, but fails.

Bob

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / May 7, 2004 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
by sabin / June 8, 2004 10:10 PM PDT

did u try getting AVG, it works great for me, or u can run anti-virus in safe mode, if that doesnt work try deleteing it in safe mode

Collapse -
by ahabtheman / June 10, 2004 12:50 PM PDT

I am also having a problem with these same exact viruses, but they are attached to files in My Shared Folder and AVG (free version) will not purge them. To make it worse, when I go look for the files in the folder, they do not show or I would just delete them because I do not need the files anymore. I have the Show Hidden Files option on and still nothing. Please help!

Collapse -
Gone
by ahabtheman / June 10, 2004 1:06 PM PDT

Update:

The trojans seem to have disappeared. I hope this is a good thing. Although AVG said in the log that the files were still infected, perhaps it deleted them? If anybody has any comments, please post. Thanks.

Collapse -
Gone, but . . .
by Cursorcowboy / June 10, 2004 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Gone

1. First, never ask a question within another person's question -- enter your own as a NEW message on the main page using the button Add new discussion.

2. Second, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software." Thired, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below. Reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result please.

2. If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."
b. 'Adaware."
c. "Spybot S&D."
d. "CWShredder" - 1 or "CWShredder" - 2.
e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."
f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning this last one should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO.

Collapse -
Re: I have trojan horse virus and can't delete the file
by shorebug / June 14, 2004 12:29 PM PDT

Dano.. if you find out how to delete the trojan, Please email me at shorebug@aol.com I need that help also... Thanks you Linda

Collapse -
Thank You ALL
by shorebug / July 20, 2004 7:25 AM PDT

The trogan horse is gone.. Thanks to all of you, I have learned a lot. Extra Huge Hugsss Linda
shorebug@aol.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?