Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I have to assign a drive each time I use any portable device

by GordonBennett / August 13, 2006 7:21 PM PDT

I recently had a new Asus K8V-MX Motherboard fitted to my three year-old Mesh Matrix computer, since which time, no portable devices are seen in My Computer. They are picked up and correctly identified on the systray, but each time I want to use any flash drive or portable device I have to assign it a drive letter through Windows XP (Home Edition) Disk Management.

Even then it is only visible in Windows Explorer where I can actually see and access my files. No portable device ever shows up in My Computer.

If I unplug the device and plug it in again, without having rebooted, although the letter still appears in the list of drives, I have to add a new letter to the same device in order to be able to see the files on it once more. If I reboot, the drive vanishes, and I have to start over again.

Is it perhaps something strange in the Registry that may be causing this?
All devices work, the USB port settings are fine, but it cannot automatically be seen.
I have tried reloading the chipset from the motherboard CD and have also added the Registry tweak so that all unused USB devices can be seen, have then uninstalled then allowed them to reinstall themselves.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have to assign a drive each time I use any portable device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have to assign a drive each time I use any portable device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I recently had a new Asus K8V-MX Motherboard fitted to my...
by Trance_Zac / August 13, 2006 7:39 PM PDT

that says it all. Since the problem started after this, you've answered your own question.
Either the mobo specs & drivers are incorrect or need updating (chipset/bios or you got a defective unit.

Another thing to think about, what caused the mobo failure?

Collapse -
Have to assign a drive each time I use a portable device
by GordonBennett / August 14, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

Well, er,....yes. I realise that, that's why I posted the original message hoping for some helpful tip or suggestion

Collapse -
It may be time to ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2006 4:23 AM PDT

Boot safe mode and remove usb/ide devices in device manager and reboot. This may restore the auto drive letter assignment. I would also have handy the latest motherboard drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
I have WINXP Home Edition, there is an article that external
by DarCLew2 / August 14, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

that says that they do not show up in My Computer. I have the following that does not show in disk management A: floppy disk is not listed Turn Printer on, it does show in another place but it is listed under USB connections & same with my digital camera. You will hear a ****-ding on connection and ding-**** when disconnected and you item when connected is listed there - not in My Computer. Look in Control Panel, System Hardware and Device Manager. I have only four assigned with drive letters in disk management. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Drive has to be assigned each time
by GordonBennett / August 14, 2006 7:13 PM PDT

The irritating aspect is that the assigned drive does not stick. It would be a whole lot better, though by no means as good as it should be and used to be, if, once I manually assign a drive letter via Disk Management, that it then stayed assigned...that I'd be happy with.

Collapse -
Do you hear the following?
by DarCLew2 / August 14, 2006 8:58 PM PDT

plug in USB and ****-ding sound? That means it is connected and there is NO NEED for a drive letter. If you hear the same with your second device, it is connected and then again, no need to assign a drive letter. If you reverse them in plugging in, any drive letter you have put in is reversed. 1]drive K: 2]drive L: will be L & K. When they are disconnected (ding-****), they no longer exist. You can stop beating your head against the wall now. Use your hearing - not your eyes for what you are doing is impossible.
Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. If you want to drive yourself nuts, keep doing the same but buy a lot of aspirin, you will need it. Darrell L.

Collapse -
If only it were that simple....
by GordonBennett / August 14, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

As I said in the original posting, the device does appear in the systray (together with the familiar ding-**** sound) but I have to assign a drive to it. Believe me, if I didn't I would not have a problem, and would not have posted.
What you describe is how it is supposed to work, and how it used to work on my PC.

Collapse -
WAG .... Check Human Interface Device
by billzhills / August 15, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

In Services under Computer Managment.

I've had a few virus/spyware apps or the owner, following some tweak advice, disable this service.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?