Phones forum

General discussion

I have T-Mobile, should I switch to Cingular?

by dat1asiandude / April 13, 2006 5:20 AM PDT

Should I? I wanted to because Cingular has alot more phones that T-Mobile, and can you tell me if Cingular's family plan is better or worst than T-Mobile, and how much do you have to pay a minute when you talk.Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have T-Mobile, should I switch to Cingular?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have T-Mobile, should I switch to Cingular?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no...?
by dm426jazz / April 13, 2006 7:26 PM PDT

i was just at cingular and they seem fairly inflexible in terms of setting up accounts without 2 year contracts.

t-mob was at least offering the option.

how do i know what i want to be doing in 2 years?

verizon was the same way when i used them but that was almost 5 years ago.

Collapse -
Not really
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 15, 2006 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: no...?

There is no policy requiring you to purchase a phone with a two year contract. Yes, you get a bigger discount on the phone but the store cannot refuse to sell it to you at the 1 year price.

Collapse -
Length of contract
by s.troyer / April 19, 2006 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really

Yeah but they don't offer that information freely, so you have to do some digging to find out. In fact, they steer you away from finding that out. Oh, and you pay for the privelege too.

In the past month I have been with Sprint (8 years with them), Verizon, and Cingular. Sprint couldn't care less anymore about their customers. Sunny indifference, is how I would describe their attitude. I spent $450 to get out of my contracts with them. They still don't even know I'm gone. When I first went with them years ago they bent over backwards to help you out.

Verizon has great coverage in our area, no dropped calls that my family or I have experienced. But NO EXTENDED NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS. This wasn't good for us. They cheerfully refunded my money including the activation fees, but only after I went back to the store to complain about the $977.25 bill the company had sent me. I stayed with them 4 days.

Then I went to Cingular and have been with them about 22 days. We have three different phones (Sony Ericsson, LG, and Nokia). ALL OF THEM make the TVs and speakers buzz. Since all three do it I would have to guess IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH CINGULAR'S SIGNAL.

By the way, we can't live with Cingular's bad signal strength and dropped calls. Terrible in our area. All my friends who had ATT loved their service and say that it is much worse now. Also they all comment that it has been worse since the beginning of this year. No body seems to know why. It doesn't make much sense if it is the same service, same towers.

The cell phone is our business phone. We can't afford to have repeated dropped calls. I guess we will go back to Verizon, though I'm not thrilled.

In terms of signal strength and dependability in San Antonio, TX and the surrounding area, Verizon is best, followed by Sprint and, a sad last, Cingular.

Maybe I should try T-Mobile. Any one have any experience with T-mobile in the SA area and up I H 10 through the Hill Country?

Collapse -
yes
by liltrey808 / April 15, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

u should switch to the allover network covering over 273 million people the family plans are cheap like 2 lines at 59.99 and any adionatal at 9.99 and they all have rollover and they are the carrier with the least dropped calls. the coolest phone is the razr and it u go o the store u can get buy 1 at 99 and get 1 free its asome so go get a cooler phone and talk m2m with iover 54million people, even mtv stars have cingular but if u want free phones check out their website cingular.com

Collapse -
Yes
by Ace587 / April 16, 2006 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

one word, allover...and its GSM too Happy

Collapse -
YES
by simoncr / April 16, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

I switched three months ago to cingular and couldnt be happier.

Collapse -
T-mobile has more though
by unclegee1 / April 17, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

T-mobile has a larger selection of phones. They have the same prices for the plan, almost .

Collapse -
Go Cingular!!
by Mr. Mulligan / April 18, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

I have been with Cingular for about 3yrs now and I like the service. The best part about Cingular is the rollover minutes. Cingular is the only company that lets you keep the un-used minutes you've already paid for! That is what keeps me at Cingular. I have over 5,600 rollover minutes. I dont ever have to worry about overages. Those un-used minutes can really become useful those months you use your phone more then normal. Good luck.

Collapse -
WoW
by Ace587 / April 18, 2006 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Go Cingular!!

5,600 min?, i envy you jeepgirl. I have around like 3,000

Collapse -
rollover expiration?
by Nigel Scott / May 8, 2006 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: WoW

I was under the impression the rollover minutes have to be used within a year or you lose them...

Collapse -
NO ------ TO MUCH 850 in Metro Areas
by stra0373 / April 19, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

Cingular is a GSM carrier just like T-Mobile. Now that T-Mobile has made agreements with other roaming partners the coverage is better. The problem with Cingular is that they rely to much on the 850mhz frequency. Your phone may show good coverage but the call quality is not as good. T-Mobile's priamry frequency is 1900mhz and only really use 850mhz in more rural areas. The problem with 850 is the amount of interference and dropped calls. You have probably seen commercials talking about Cingulars low percentage of dropped calls. Well the firm that wrote that report probably isnt as reputable as J.D. Power and Assoc. who says T-Mobile and Verizon has the most reliable network with the least amount of dropped calls. Dont switch to a carrier because you think they have better phones. If you like one of the models they carry visit www.simoncells.com or www.expansys.com or even ebay and buy the phone you want. make sure its unlocked and has 1900/850 mhz. The price will be higher so you use your tenure at T-Mob to get a discounted handset like a RAZR or PEBL and turn around and sell it on eBay to make some of the money back. What phone do you want? The stupid iTunes phone? If so, you need to realize that T-Mobile has 4 phones that play MP3's (itunes name is a branding thing)

Collapse -
yes
by Dracula95 / April 19, 2006 10:46 AM PDT

Cingular has a better family plan and you get rollover minutes so all the minutes you don't use you can use them next month

Collapse -
just for a phone? No.
by stazziax / April 26, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Sure Cingular has rollover, but if you use all of your minutes in the first place, then what's left to roll over? If you're so into their phones, why not buy an unlocked Cingular phone?

Collapse -
T-Mobile All The Way!
by llachar / May 6, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

Personally I like T-mobile better than Cingular. I have had an individual plan with T-mobile and I recently added my mom on and got a family plan. But as far as an individual plan, why pay to have less minutes just because they roll over? You end up with less minutes so if you talk alot there really aren't any minutes left to roll over. I've been with T-mobile for 3 years and I have managed to convert all my friends to T-mobile from Cingular. In my area the Cingular network sucks anyway. Take some time and do your homework on this one...the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.