Mac OS forum

General discussion

I have somehow removed myself as administrator

by Michael Samuele / February 24, 2005 9:47 AM PST

I have imacG5, running on 10.3.5. I was signed on as administrator and had just added another user. I set up the second user with password, and was going through the change of password for his keychain. I think this is where I goofed up. System took password for second user that at first was same as mine. Then I changed it to a unique one and was setting up the keychain password when I noticed that I am not administrator anymore. I have standard status. If I go to netinfo, I can input my short name and password and get recognized to do changes there..but I guess that could be for anyone. I have tried authenticating myself with full name, short name etc. to no avail. It gives me the correct hint for the password I am inputting.

So: is there any way for me to correct this (I don't know what I did) besides going back and doing a clean install of the OS? I haven't put any files or new apps on this mac yet.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michael

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have somehow removed myself as administrator
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have somehow removed myself as administrator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System Preferences
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 8:47 PM PST

go to System preferences/Accounts and click on your name in the LH panel.
In the RH panel, click on the Advanced Tab. Put a check in the box that says "all user to administer this computer" (or words to that effect)
That should fix you up. You may find that the system will ask for a password the next time you try to do something and it will have the other persons name in the name field. Just change it to yours

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Lost Administrator
by Michael Samuele / February 25, 2005 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: System Preferences

Thanks to both of you who posted information. I just picked up your messages and will go and try the system prefs/accounts change. I will let you know how I fared. Thanks again!

M.

Collapse -
Need more advice
by Michael Samuele / February 25, 2005 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: System Preferences

Hi, I need a little more help: I went to system preferences under the apple menu, and selected accounts. The Accounts pane shows me and my other user. I am automatically highlighted in th LH panel. In the RH panel, I don't see the Advanced Tab. On my RH panel I have: Password (which is open), Picture, Security, and Startup. I do find the dimmed check box for allowing this user to administer this computer under the Security Tab with Firevault. I have not turned on FireVault. Did I take a wrong turn?

M.

Collapse -
OOps, My bad
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Need more advice

the setting you are looking for us under the security tab.
In the LH pane, are you listed as My Account or are you under the Other Accounts?
Do you know the password of the fake "Administrator"??

If so, log on as them and change you settings.

Let me know

P

Collapse -
LH Pane I am listed
by Michael Samuele / February 25, 2005 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: OOps, My bad

as My account, with "standard" under my name. Same for other user who is listed under "other accounts". I am not sure who my fake administrator is. I know that I can put in my login password with my short name, and it looks like I could make changes in Netinfo. Problem there is I have no idea what changes I can make safely, or at all. This is where the list contains omnious items as aliases, groups, and users. The administrator authentication looks like it remembers my full name but not the password. Since I am no longer an administrator, well you know the death cycle I'm in. I don't think my iMac has an administrator anymore since I clicked something I shouldn't have.

Really appreciate your suggestions so far.

M.

Collapse -
Next Suggestion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: LH Pane I am listed

Now is the time to try the Password Reset, that was offered earlier by another poster.
Restart the machine using the installation disk 1. Insert the disk, wait until it is mounted and then restart. Hold down the "C" key until you see the spinning "cart wheel". The machine should start from the CD.
Once booted, go to the menu bar at the top of the screen and find the Password Reset option. (It should be under the first column.) Follow the instructions and reset every password to something you WILL remember. Make a note of ALL the user names it gives to you. Now that all the passwords are the same and you know all the user names, it should be possible to give you back your rights..
Reboot and take a look at the Accounts system preference pane.

Keep going......

P

Collapse -
At Reset Password panel
by Michael Samuele / February 26, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Next Suggestion

Ok, I have rebooted with Install Disk #1. I am at the reset password panel. What I have on this mac as users are: System Administrator (root), Application Server (app server), Me, and user #2.

Do you see any problems with assigning the same password to all of the above? Do you know if the Mac cares if I and my second user have the exact same password? This is not an issue of security on this iMac but more to keep user #2 on his own desktop.

Also: I understand the basic premise of keychains, but am unclear about the password associated with the keychains. When I first set the password for user #2, the pop-up came with the password was not the same for his keychain. I thought I read the keychain for each user uses the login password and unlocks automatically when that user logs in.

Thanks again for your time on this.

M.

Collapse -
Passwords
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 6:41 AM PST

There should be no problem assigning the same password to everyone. You are going to change them when you have the thing back to normal again and you have regained your role as Administrator from the usurper.
Theoretically, the keychain works for each person that logs in. The same passwords do not matter to it.

P

Collapse -
Yes! I got my administrator status back!
by Michael Samuele / February 26, 2005 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Passwords

Thank you! I successfully reset all passwords and then logged in as root to change me back into administrator. I did also change the password for root and my user #2.

I logged off root and then back in as user #2 as well as myself to see if I was still changed to admin, and I am.

The last question I have: the application server user did not come up in the accounts pane after booting up, so it still has the same password as me. Do you see that as a problem to worry about? When would you need to access app server?

Thanks alot for your help. You really saved the day!

M.

Collapse -
Passwords
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 10:59 PM PST

Nothing to worry about. You know who is using the machine and what rights they have. If connected to the Internet, keep the OS X Firewall running or install a 3rd party Firewall. I think Norton is the only company that make one right now.

Glad I could help

P

Collapse -
Passwords
by Michael Samuele / February 27, 2005 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Passwords

Thank you for the that last bit of advice. Thanks again for your quick help.

M.

Collapse -
c
by rallywrc / February 24, 2005 8:51 PM PST

use the system disc to reset your admin status. reboot the mac with the deisc in and hold down c.

Collapse -
Reset using C
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: c

That will only reset the passwords and not the status

P

Collapse -
Reset
by taboma. / February 25, 2005 3:09 PM PST
In reply to: Reset using C

P, Is there anything that you do do not know about a PC or a Mac and their operating systems?
Your knowledge is amazing! I have been following your posts and you really are MR. MAC FIXIT! Or, for that matter mrmacfixit for the PC also!
OOPS! Sorry to mention PC and M$ & M

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?