Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

I HAVE SERIOUS TROUBLE, HELP!

by Ugg / December 15, 2004 11:06 AM PST

Hi:

Where to begin? Okay, I have Dell 4400 PC. The OS is ME. I have ComCast cable & use AOL. From day 1, we have had trouble with this machine. After a few months, Dell sent us a new HD. After the fun of installing it & retrieving my files & programs off the old HD & CD's, I assumed that everything was back in working order.

We all know what assume stands for, and it was no exception this time either. I was having problems with viewing my stored pictures, the computer would freeze up whenever I tried to just view images. Okay, I was able to live with that for the time being, and was in the proccess of correcting that. Here's where the trouble begins.

We were using AOL 9.0 Optimized. They informed us of the new Security Edition Update. At this point in time, with the exception of the image thingy, everything was working well enough. I downloaded & installed AOL's Security Edition. I went to go back online, & BOOM! It crashed & died. After several times of trying, & the computer either crashing outright or just freezing up, I was finally able to get online. However, there were now things missing from my computer. Files, icons, emails, Quick Launch.

I called AOL's wonderful tech support, & was bumped over to McAfee, who in turn bumped me back to AOL. After several frustrating hours of feeling like a ping pong ball, I was finally informed by an AOL tech that there was an issue with the new Security Edition and that AOL was in the process of correcting it. HA! I got rid of the Security Edition & went back to Optimized.

With some fantastic help from here at C-Net, I was able to retrieve or reinstall most of what I lost, except for my saved emails. I've since spent several more frustrating hours either online or on the phone with the AOL techs trying to get things back to where they were before I installed Security Edition. Not only was I unsuccessful, I lost most of my saved emails, including the ones that I had re-tracked down the people for the info that I was saving. Yes, I had no backups.

That is my question now, as I want to dump AOL. I want to save all "My Favorites", & what emails I'll get again. I know AOL keeps them in the "Organize" folder, but that's as far as I know. I also know that if you do find it and try and print it out with going thru AOL, it's all giberish. I know there's a way to do this, but the techs at AOL won't tell me. It's not like I'm stealing anything, it's all MY info.

I'll be looking into Firefox & Thunderbird as soon as I calm down a few notches (Brain overload, to much info). I also have plain old IE 6. I also plan on trying to heal this nachine with all the help I've recieved here (from both contact & archive). BTW, after one of the crashes, I lost the folder (which was closed) with all my COMPUTER HELP info. It has since come back after another crash, & I want to get it saved before it dissappears again, maybe for good. Thanks In Advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I HAVE SERIOUS TROUBLE, HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I HAVE SERIOUS TROUBLE, HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How can I put this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 11:12 AM PST

Exclusive use of Internet Explorer is turning out to be a lesson. I can't tell you what lesson, but you do realize that Microsoft is NOT PATCHING any IE version other than the one on Windows XP.

What do I have to do to get you to use Firefox as much as possible?

About backup. Type ...

OLEXP BACKUP into google.com to find out how to save and retrieve your Outlook emails.

About CD Recording. I use http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ to save my stuff to CDR or CDRW all the time. Free too.

As long as you stay with IE, there isn't must for me to do other than watch the show.

Bob

PS. Please take this as me gently trying to help you save your stuff.

Collapse -
As I Gently Move Along. :)
by Ugg / December 15, 2004 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: How can I put this?

Hi Bob:

Thanks for the quick reply. At this point in time, the CD on this machine is READ ONLY. My personal machine has a CD Burner, but it's down in the basement, & I have barely seen it this year cause me & stairs don't get along to well anymore. We used to have a network, but it's been down all year, & we're only using this one machine (my son's barred from his for now).

Will that OLEXP Backup work for AOL too? I know that AOL uses a form of IE. AOL's been our primary browser because they do have good parental controls. I've got Firefox/Thunderbird ready to go, but 1st I want to read up on it, so I have at least a bit of a clue as to what I'm doing. Also, I'll have to be able to explain it to the wife & son. I also want to be somewhat secure in knowing my "STUFF" is protected from loss.

Lastly, there's still to much "INFO" floating around in my head from that overload explosion. Happy I'd like it to settle down a bit before I try & comprehend more info. I think I'm still able to follow instructions, but retaining is a whole different ana-mule. Wink Thanks Again.

Collapse -
Yes, it's overload.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 10:05 PM PST

The spyware issue alone will make our heads explode.

I'm pushy about the Internet Explorer issue because..

1. Only the XP OS is getting the latest patches.
2. Spyware is getting more virulent and is causing people to "lose it all".
3. Your Antivirus is not addressing Spyware because, ... "It's not a virus".
4. Spybot, Adaware and many tools are "after the fact" detection and removal. Since some spyware is so virulent and damaging, removal after infection may have allowed the damage to occur.

Take just one advice... Use FireFox as much as you can... Now.

Bob

Collapse -
Oh, I Will, But.......
by Ugg / December 16, 2004 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, it's overload.

Hey Bob:

That brings me back to the original question, which is if anybody knows (pardon the term) AOL, How I can save my info & translated it to where it can be read without going thru AOL? Will that OLEXP program work with AOL? I Still need a little more sleep.;)

This is probably more info then you want to know, but doggy mating season's rough when you don't let em..... The males howl & cry & bark all day & night long for the 3 weeks each female's in heat. We have 4 females, all of which are going into or have been in heat, back to back. Couldn't they do it all at once? NAW! Oh, and of course, we don't have little dogs. We have White German Shepherds.

Collapse -
I have an old Border Collie.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, I Will, But.......

And his hearing is gone. God knows I didn't yell at him, but at 14+ I'm thankful that's his biggest problem.

As to AOL. AOL is its own world and very few here can answer any questions about it. All I (and a few others) know is that you can use Firefox after you call up AOL.

As to saving AOL items, that's up to AOL to reveal. I just don't know since they don't document it.

Bob

Collapse -
not sure if I am right in this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 6:57 AM PST

and please correct me if I am wrong, but whilst Ugg is using AOL as his "only" ISP, he may not be able to set up Thunderbird as his email program.

Thunderbird can be set up with email settings for any other ISP, but I am not sure about AOL because AOL uses it's own peculiar POP and SMTP settings.

But I am willing to be "burned down in flames" if I am incorrect, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
AOL Thunderbird setup instructions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 8:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank You.
by Ugg / December 16, 2004 12:56 PM PST

Bob & Mark:

Thanks for the insights & directions. Yeah, I know AOL has it's own world. This was a shot for help. They don't want to talk, or are not able to, or don't know how, to tell me what I want to know. Oh well. I.J.F.F.

Bob:

14+, WOW, that's up there for a dog. We just buried our oldest a few weeks ago. She was around 12. We're not sure, because we rescued her. It amazes me that people will spend all that $$$ on a purebred dog, & then not take care of them. I could go on for hours on this subject. I'll spare you.

Thanks Again. Ugg

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!