General discussion

I have sent a very large snail mail abt, NERO

It does try to install an Ask Toolbar and that is spyware.
I have sent a large package to Master Card, contesting this. On all the pages there is nothing that states that you won't get reimbursed since both NERO-10.0.13100.exe and the registration number was sent in an email. I definitely will not buy NERO in the future. They stated that after the fact, not before, and that is really shoddy information from NERO. They Even had an opportunity to make things right with NERO 7 Utra or NERO 8 Ultra - They cannot even do that! Darrell

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I have sent a very large snail mail abt, NERO
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I have sent a very large snail mail abt, NERO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Ask Toolbar

From http://about.ask.com/apn/toolbar/docs/default/faq/en/ie/index.html

Is your Toolbar "spyware"?

NO! We are completely "spyware" and "adware"-free. Period! Our Toolbar was specifically designed to provide a great user experience free of spyware, adware, data collection or other similar activities. In order to achieve that goal:

* The toolbar software DOES NOT monitor the websites visited by the end user, collect or in any manner report any information about what sites an end users visits (or any click stream activity), nor does it monitor or scrape information when you are on other sites.
* The toolbar software DOES NOT serve or facilitate contextual advertising or pop-up ads. Many applications are identified as spyware because they monitor end-user Internet usage and serve contextual pop-ups. Our Toolbar does not engage in any such practices.
* We do NOT require you to provide any personal information. No email address, registration or other information is required to use the product. Unlike many other products, we do not attempt to collect data upon startup as a requirement of use.

In short, the Toolbar provides a superior search experience on an ANONYMOUS basis and without any additional monitoring, contextual ads or other nuisances.

So can you explain why you think the Ask Toolbar is spyware? And why not simply uninstall it and disable it in your browser? That seems much easier to me than starting a war against Nero.

Kees

- Collapse -
I Think I Know Why..

Kees..

I certainly wouldn't be waging war with Nero. And I DO agree with you about just uninstalling it. That said, I think I know why he was under the impression it was spyware.

"Current Practices of IAC/Ask Toolbars"

http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/ask-toolbars/

Consider me..

"Only the Messenger"

- Collapse -
Some more reading for you

from CoU.

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=1&do=showevent&event_id=44516

For what it is worth, uninstalling the ask.com toolbar is not always as easy as it should be. I recently aquired my dad's laptop and I spent a few minutes uninstalling numberous programs that I did not need. Thise went fine.

The last one was the toolbar portion of a label program that had installed the ask.com toolbar when he installed the program. Uninstalling the program itself was no problem but it took 45 minutes, including numerous reboots and running Revo and CCleaner numerous times before I got rid of all the remnants of the toolbar.

- Collapse -
(NT) That's rather a horror story.

CNET Forums

Forum Info