Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I have no sound

by Sammy_Jo / October 25, 2006 11:03 PM PDT

Hi and Thanks for reading. I am so sorry I do not know where to look for information to send to someone who reads this. I do have WXP Professional. Thats all I know. I have no sound at all. I will gladly send information needed to anyone that can help me.
Thanks so much
Sammy Jo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have no sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have no sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have no sound
by Zanshi / October 26, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I have no sound

Unfortunately, your information is lacking, but will try to help anyway. First off, is your sound device built into the system board? If so, you need to go into the system BIOS and make sure the sound is enabled. Do you have a PCI sound card? Do you have a sound card at all? If not, go buy a sound card.

Remember also to make sure that the drivers are loaded, and that the sound isn't either turned way down or muted in Windows.

Collapse -
thank you
by Sammy_Jo / October 26, 2006 11:16 PM PDT

I read your reply to me and you are most kind. However I do not know about any of the things you wrote to me and do not know where to look for them. I will supply you with the information if you tell me where to look.

Collapse -
Re: I have no sound
by Tufenuf / October 26, 2006 6:33 AM PDT

Sammy Jo, You may also want to go to the link below and click on the ? to the left of "Where did my Sounds go?" to expand it and you'll find a multitude of posssible solutions.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Followed your suggestion
by Sammy_Jo / October 26, 2006 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I have no sound

I tried the 2 things at kellys korner and I do get a buzz now from the speakers but still no sound..

Collapse -
No Sound
by cmmer31 / October 26, 2006 12:05 PM PDT

First right click your speaker Icon and open Volume control
and make sure your sound is not muted. Located on your lower right.
If you don't have a speaker Icon go to the Control Panel and check your sound.

Next try this:

Windows XP
See if your sound has been stopped in Services Under
Windows Audio.
Start - Control Panel - Open Administrative Tools - Open Component Services - Click Services (Local) and Scrowl down the list to Windows Audio to see if it says - Started. If stopped
Left click Windows Audio and click restart. -
Or
Right click Windows Audio - left click Properties - Left click Start

If still no sound next try this But be careful because your in the Registry and you can harm your computer.

Go to Start>Run, type in regedit and hit ok.

Navagate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound

"Beep" and "ExtendedSounds" should both be set to "yes" in order for the speakers to work.

If you still don't have any sound.

If the above doesn't work, go to control panel and open System Icon -

Hardware Tab - Device Manager - Click the + Plus sign for Sounds.......... -

Right click Realtek AC 97 Or whatever sound system you are using - Left click - Update Driver.

To update you will need the CD that came with your computer.

Keep in mind the above instructions are for Windows XP.

Maybe some of this will help

Collapse -
Did as you ask me to
by Sammy_Jo / October 26, 2006 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: No Sound

I followed your instructions on everything you suggested and everything is as it should be. However I cannot do the one because I do not have the cd that came with the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.