Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I have just recently had major problems !!

by Rownerau / November 4, 2004 6:33 PM PST

Had computer tech fix many probs on my computer today,but he says because my computer is 7 years old that the reason I still continue to receive this on a blue screen occassionally,some of my hardware probably needs replacing ,or I need a new computer.This may be,but as I have been duped before just so that they can make money,I thought I would ask the question here first for opinions.Hopefully someone will be able to advise if this could be a correct statement.This is what it says ;

An exception OE has occurred at 0028: C8BFFBDE in VxD PPSCAN (01) + 0001007E.This was called from 0028: C8C01825 in VxD PPSCAN (01)+ 00011CC5.It may be possible to continue normally.

*Press any key to attempt to continue.
*Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer.You may lose any unsaved info in all allocations.Press any key to continue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have just recently had major problems !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have just recently had major problems !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I have just recently had major problems !!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 9:47 PM PST

PPSCAN might be a file with a HP scanner. For now, unplug that scanner and uninstall its software.

Does that fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
by Rownerau / November 5, 2004 2:47 PM PST

Well I cannot even uninstall my HP scanner,not with the uninstall option,or in add/remove programmes in the control panel.What is happening now is this !When i go CTRL/ALT/DEL it says Uninstall is not responding !

I click on restart,it loads and then says improper shut down (That is BS)starts a scan disc for errors,goes to white page which says click here to restore my active desktop,I do that it goes to normal then shuts down and when it gets to almost normal the blue screen with the matter I first reported for comment appears,if I hit a key it loads as normal,so what is going on here ??? Also is the computer tech and his comment on my computer correct in your opinion or not ?? Thank you

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 5, 2004 8:25 PM PST

The computer is actually not shutting down properly (not what you think is happening since you are going to the start\shutdown correctly) because it's having difficulty stopping the PPSCAN process so windows thinks one thing while you are thinking another.

If you can get to your desktop, go to Start\RUN and type MSCONFIG and look at the config.sys tab and see if there is a line there with a checkmark that references your scanner....if there is one, uncheck it. Do the same thing in the autoexec.bat tab. Do the same thing at the Startup tab.

Now close msconfig and reboot the computer....if that stops the error for now, you've found the problem so try doing the uninstall now. Perhaps the uninstall couldn't complete the process because the file was 'being used' by windows at the time you tried to do the uninstall before. If it finally uninstalls, then reboot and do a clean install.

If it still won't uninstall, then without the scanner plugged in, try using the install disk to install again right over the top of the first install....and after rebooting, go back to Add\Remove Programs and try uninstalling it again. Sometimes an install over the top of an old one will correct a problem long enough to get it uninstalled so you can then reboot and start over with a clean installation.

I don't think you need to replace your hardware at this point......and especially I wouldn't replace anything until you actually figure out which piece of hardware needs to be replaced. If your scanner turns out to be broken, getting the software reinstalled properly that runs it will be able to tell you that. And right now the only indication that we have that something is wrong is only pointing to the scanner and not any of the rest of the hardware in your system. If that's the only piece of hardware that does turn out to be replaced, you are way better off than randomly replacing other things that are currently working fine just because some tech out there didn't want to spend a little time doing some trouble shooting for you.

TONI

Collapse -
by Rownerau / November 5, 2004 9:05 PM PST

As I finally uninstalled HP scanner,and the blue screen episode is not occurring at this time,and I am trying to think positive lol,you would be right in assuming that about the tech,that is why I asked for your opinion on my hardware,once bitten twice shy you might say.Anyway thank you for your assistance much appreciated...There is another problem with my printer I mentioned in here but not sure which message in reference to this topic I lodged it..Thank you again.

Strange though I have not used my scanner for months ???????????

Collapse -
by Rownerau / November 5, 2004 8:18 PM PST

Well I did reply previously,but have finally been able to uninstall my HP scanner.You are surely a legend in your own lifetime,as this has fixed the problem to this time,and have not seen it since.I must say I have in the past had heaps of problems with the HP scanner,so it is not surprising..Now the other problem I am now experiencing.My printer was operating fine before this but suddenly would not work,and that was before and after I uninstalled the scanner. My printer is an EpsonC43UX inkjet.Keeps coming up with this,when I try to reinstall,and although I have restarted the computer many times to try to rectify,(have uninstalled previously of course)Have gone to the Epson site to see if I have to download anything,but do not really understand what they mean,hence my question.Anyway,here are the 2 items I get on screen !

Epdetect has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL.Epdetect will now close.If this continues restart your computer.

epupdate has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL and will now close.

Hope you can assist,and thank you heaps..

Collapse -
For the printer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 10:47 PM PST

I follow the same path. Unplug it, uninstall it, get latest drivers and then plug it back in.

I have a growing suspicion that something else is going on such as spyware, trojan, P2P software or other, but maybe it's just that 100% of the machines I'm seeing have this problem. Are you keeping the pests out?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: For the printer.
by Rownerau / November 5, 2004 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: For the printer.

I sure am every day at least 3 times per day,and virus scans,still trying,very bloody trying lol,getting same message Epdetect error in MMSYSTEM.DLL and also Epupdate error in MMSYSTEM.DLL

Collapse -
Ready?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Re: For the printer.

"I tried my printer again and it was doing its same dysfunctional thing so I tried your suggestion. I went into the bios and switched my port to standard epp. Then I removed my lpt port from the device manager and uninstalled the printer software from add/remove programs.

When I did the latter, I got an error message saying that "epupdate.exe" cannot be uninstalled. I then deleted it manually from the Windows/system file. When I did this the listing was removed from add/remove programs. Then I rebooted. Then I reinstalled my drivers.

Seems to work okay now. "
From http://forums.windrivers.com/archive/index.php/t-47992

Let me be clear that it's not the exact model or problem, but close enough to what I would do with your error issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Ready?
by Rownerau / November 7, 2004 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Ready?

This is giving me the irits..Cannot find some of my discussions nor a new discussion I posted 8 hours or so ago .Can I get to all discussions I have had and other posts ?? Thank you

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 4, 2004 9:56 PM PST

vxd files are drivers for hardware...and in this case, it appears to be a port scanner. This might indicate a problem with an open modem port.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=ppscan

This could be anything from your modem calling out via a trojan, a highjacker, or keylogger program to something minor that your particular ISP installs for cable or dsl modems. I don't have that type of file in my XP system using a satellite modem service so I don't know much about what this might be in your case.

After reading some of the links from the google search I linked to above, I would also consider getting a free scan on-line at any of the following to rule out the 'bad guys'. I've also linked to some free programs to help keep you internet traveling clean of spyware, etc.

Make sure that you don't have viruses or spyware resident on the machine. Please click on either or both of the free online virus scanners at the links below:

Housecall Online Scanner
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/

RAV Online Scanner
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

After that, download, install, update, then run the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware 6 Spyware Removal Tool
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

?Spybot Search & Destroy? Spyware Removal Tool
http://www.safer-networking.org/

CWShredder Hijack Removal Tool
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.