PC Hardware forum

General discussion

I have jammed the disc drive door on my HP CPU.

by hikergirl / March 14, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

I have an HP e-pc 40 and, if it matters, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2. Some time ago, I tripped over the open disc drive door (it's a vertical operation) and one of the trim guides came off. As long as I'm careful, I have had no problem, until today. The last time I inserted a photo CD, the tray went in with a little bit of resistance. Now, when I push the eject button, it clicks. Something has become jammed. I unplugged everything and tried to pry the door open, but without success. I am not financially able to send this out to get the door released. Does anyone have any simple instructions for someone who is not computer literate? Any help you can give would be gratefully accepted and appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have jammed the disc drive door on my HP CPU.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have jammed the disc drive door on my HP CPU.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / March 14, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

Most CD drives have a small pin hole to manually eject the CD on the frt. panel bezel. Its there exactly for that reason. Unfortunately some drives may not have it, but most do. Using that pin hole place a straighten paper clip and push in with some care. This will mechanically unleash the door. Once all this is done, you should more carefully review what is making this stick, it will only happen again sooner or later. There's also the chance the track that drives the door open/close is cracked or broken, so take into acct. if replacement becomes necessary as you can't repair it(usually).

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by hikergirl / March 14, 2008 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

Thanks Willie - Sorry, but the pin in the hole will not un-jam the door. Anyone else care to try?

Collapse -
Inspect
by Willy / March 14, 2008 8:55 AM PDT

You have pin hole, correct. OK, use that straighten paper clip and push to meet resistance. Make sure you're hitting the release mechanism, you may have to play it. Make sure, system if OFF. Wink Otherwise, you will need to crack open case, dismount the CD drive. Once in hand repeat the above steps. If you do this. correct any possible physical bezel problems. Also, if yours does this, the bezel on the actual door itself can be removed, IF!!! this isn't part of the fancy system case itself. Once in hand, you'll see what I mean. The door cover/bezel can snap or unclip off. If none of this works, then you have more than likely a broken track or physical damage, replace CD drive for continued hassle free operation. The decal on the CD drive will denote what model# it is should you order from HP or other source.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What happens if you lay the PC on it's side so the CD is
by VAPCMD / March 14, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

in the 'normal attitude' and then you try the eject or paper clip ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
by hikergirl / March 15, 2008 6:11 AM PDT

Thank you to all who have tried to help. Last night, a friend who is a mechanical engineer and used to rebuild jet engines and worked at TVA, called to thank me for something. I happened to think maybe he could help. He just left my house (3/15 @ 4pm) and was able to disassemble the CD-ROM drive, get the door open, straighten the guides, and reassemble everything. The drive loads and plays, the door opens and closes. I am a happy woman. Thanks again everyone.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear...thanks for the update !
by VAPCMD / March 15, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?