Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

I have internet trhough LAN, but not wireless

by lzrees / August 7, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

I have a netgear cg814wg from Time Warner cable. Everything worked fine until a few days ago when I accidently unplugged it. Now, the wireless is not showing up at all (even though the wireless light is green). I do get internet when I am connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable... ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have internet trhough LAN, but not wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have internet trhough LAN, but not wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So your computer has a problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 5:58 AM PDT

Or your router. Let's see what you told us about the computer. (not much)

Collapse -
think it is the router..maybe
by lzrees / August 7, 2008 6:51 AM PDT

The wireless router isn't even showing up on the list of avaliable networks... i have a gateway laptop

Collapse -
The test then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 9:28 AM PDT

You are not sharing details so lets try the test.

Head to a wifi hot spot. Does the laptop work there?

Collapse -
sorry
by lzrees / August 7, 2008 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: The test then.

sorry...the laptop can pick up wifi, and wifi of my neighbors, just not mine.

Collapse -
If this was mine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

I'd do the full reset of the router (that hold the reset button per the manual) and start over. If it fails, change the wifi router.

Collapse -
What are the wireless settings. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 7, 2008 11:55 AM PDT

in the router. Have you looked at the configuration? Do you have SSID turned on?

Collapse -
Ethernet but no wireless
by lplayter / August 8, 2008 9:49 AM PDT

Hi this seems to be happening more and more all over.I live in Ireland and a real expert at I.T demonstrated to my provider how easily their wireless could be hacked,We all got warning letters as to how to address the issue,shortly afterwards it became impossible for Me to have both Ethernet and wireless on one computer,had to choose one or other!
If you do not have a shortcut to Your router the i.p You subscribe to can give you the address to type so you can access your own router settings,You should find an option to enable wireless and it should be checked,if it is unchecked,check it and restart router,even if It is checked I find a restart usually solves problems anyway.Warning if You have set up port forwarding for any programme,You will most likely lose the Tcp/udp ports but can reset them If you take note of the ports You want open on Your computer be fore a reset.

one other thing that helps sometimes is to try the update driver option(If you have one!)You can roll back the update if it does more harm,be careful,but not afraid! I am a novice but all of the above I have at various times tried and suceeded at,best of luck Wink

Collapse -
one last thing.................
by lplayter / August 8, 2008 9:54 AM PDT

Be sure Your W E P/slash W P A has not been altered in any way,again Your I.S.P can give You the proper encryption key
thank You.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?