Resolved Question

I have been getting emails marked from friends

which are not from friends. The emails are all the same and they advertise some sort of "work from home" opportunity. They come in my spam folder and they are all from people in my address book. It seems that someone has gotten hold of my address book and send me this ad (always the same) but make it appear that it is from a friend. I am concerned about the security of my computer because someone seems to have access to my address book. I would like to know if I have cause for concern and if there is anything I should or can do to secure my computer

Discussion is locked

hashiff has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: I have been getting emails marked from friends
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I have been getting emails marked from friends
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
A possible point of interest..
- Collapse -
Thanks for forwarding that article

I did have the feeling that there was a scam involved but my main concern was with the possible security breach with my computer. I guess there are enough desperate people out there grasping at any straw that they hope might keep them afloat. That's why these schemes are so sucessful.

- Collapse -
Answer
It's Probably A Friend's Computer That's Infected, But....

...if you haven't checked your own machine, now is a good time to do so.. Please download BOTH of the freeware versions of the tools at the links below, install them, update them, then run full system scans using them.. Delete anything they find.

Malwareybtes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Generally, such email "work from home" SPAM messages are the result of a friend getting infected who has all your addresses. As such, you may not be the only person receiving the messages. All it takes is for you to forward a message to all of your friends and all those addresses are received at each of those computers.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
That sounds good

I use Malware bytes and Super Antispyware on a regular basis and my computer, which is about 2 years old has never had any other real problem, so having a friend who is infected is not surprising as most of my friends are past 80 (as am I) and are not too computer literate and have never heard of malware or spyware and never scan their computers with even the simplest tools. I do thank you for your input. It is the only response that I got to my inquiry.

- Collapse -
Answer
spam emails from friends

Run your own anti-spyware and anti-virus checks to make sure your computer is clean. then contact your friends [if possible not by email but if you have to use it]and advise them of the situation and suggest they run the same checks also. Often the friends whose computer the spam has come from are not aware that their computer is infected by a virus doing this. all you can do to secure your computer is keep anti-virus and anti-spyware up to date on your own computer and be wary of opening links in any emails you recieve.
Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Answer
ghost emails

I and several of my internet acquaintences have had this same problem. It's been around a long time.
Before you invest a lot of time and money on spyware, you might try changing the password on your email
account(s). I've done that and the problem usually goes away. Good luck!

- Collapse -
Answer
bogus emails and hacked accounts

One way to know right away if someone has hacked your email account is to make sure you have another email account listed in your address book. Check it regularly, try not to use the same user name and definately do NOT use the same password. That way if someone gets in and starts sending bogus mail in your name you will see it. As recommended by the others, change your password immediately. Make the new one more difficult to guess. Scan your computer for malware. Notify friends if they are sending the mail or if your account has sent to them.

- Collapse -
Answer
Spam

I have found that when that happens, all you have to do, assuming your friend(s) use free online email, is tell them about the emails you are getting, and tell them to change their password. That should stop the emails from leaving their email. If that happens to you, then change your password. If you, or your friend(s) use outlook, or other computer based email, then scan computer with MBAM, and SUPERAntiSpyware as suggested in another post.

CNET Forums

Forum Info