General discussion

I have an FTP question

I need to move a "ton" (10 MB+) of pictures from one computer to another, so I did an upload from my PC to my personal website, which I have never used. They were ZIP files. Now I need to download those ZIP files to my other computer, but I can't figure out how to do it. Could someone please explain this process to me? I can't be the only person in the world who wants to download from a personal website server. I believe the server address is: quartetmania.home.mchsi.com

ATDhVaAnNkCsE

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I have an FTP question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I have an FTP question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
use a browser

Using a browser, if the filenames can be seen somewhere on your website, you should be able to just right-click over the name, select "Save Target As" and point to some location on your local drive.

- Collapse -
Use the browser?

Thanks Chuck, but I do not understand what you are suggesting I do. Can you explain the steps? What URL do I use, etc.?

- Collapse -
Steps?

You said you have these zipped files located on your personal website, right? Use THAT URL.

What do you use to look at "your personal website" with? A browser, right? Such as Internet Explorer ... ?

OK, so looking at your personal website, you see these files listed in some way; whether that is a textual view of the files, or a thumbnail of the pictures?

OK, if that is true, then just move your mouse over that representation of your file(s) and click on the right mouse button. You should see a selection for "Save Target As" click that.
Then just browse to some location on your local drive (like your drive C: ) and place the files there.

If the files are zipped, then you'll just need to unzip them to view them.

By the way, you said you have "a ton (10 MB+) of pictures"
In my opinion, 10MB of pictures is not particularly a large quantity. I have seen just one picture being 5MB. But, in 10MB, you could have a large quantity of pictures. Get yourself a cheap flash drive and move 10, or 20, or 100, even 500 MB of files easily, whether it is one or a few files, or thousands of files, it doesn?t matter.

- Collapse -
Re: FTP

Quartermania.

Assuming you did the upload with an FTP-program, the download is just the reverse.

In command line FTP the command is get in stead of put (or mget in stead of mput). In FTP-programs with a GUI it's mostly a question of drag and drop or select and click on 'move' or 'copy', or some method like that.

What's your problem?

Kees

PS1. Assuming your website is something like www.home.myisp/~me and there's a file myfile.zip located there, you can just enter www.home.myisp/~me/myfile.zip in your browser, and it will ask if you want to open it or save it on the hard disk. That's the answer to your question to ChuckT.

PS2. Why not simply mail the files to yourself? Mails with attachments are just the easiest way to transfer files across machines.

CNET Forums

Forum Info