Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

I have a virus that my virus protection is not detecting.

by Rina430 / August 11, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

I am using Total Defense Security from CA. For some reason I don't think it's detecting a trojan. Is there a program that I could download to find it? I'm not very computer savy, so I need something easy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have a virus that my virus protection is not detecting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have a virus that my virus protection is not detecting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You have not given us much
by roddy32 / August 11, 2012 12:59 AM PDT

information. You stated that your protection is not detecting a virus. Then you stated that you don't think it is deleting a trojan. First of all a virus is different than a trojan but how do you know you have something if your antivirus is not reporting it?

I am going to guess and suggest that you try the free version of Malwarebytes from the below link.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Collapse -
Should have been more clear...
by Rina430 / August 11, 2012 12:10 PM PDT

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I downloaded Advanced System Clear and noticed while it was scanning my files...trojan.win32/agent, trojan.win32/vundo, backdoor.trojan, backdoor.frauder and backdoor.trace. I've also had a problem with Google. I think I have the Google Redirect virus too. Every time I click a known site, I get redirected to another site. Like I stated before, I'm not very computer savy, but I definitely feel there is something wrong with my computer. I'll try malwarebytes and see if that helps. If you have any other suggestions, please post them here. Thank you!

Collapse -
You have said ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 12, 2012 2:40 PM PDT
" I downloaded Advanced System Clear" and I am wondering if you had a typo there and meant Advanced System Care by IOBit?

If so I would suggest UNINSTALLING IT as IOBit software has been the source and cause of many problems we have assisted people with here in these forums. They seem to find things that simply are not there (possibly false positives).

Uninstall it and then download and run MalwareBytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ) and Super Anti-Spyware ( http://www.superantispyware.com/?rid=3324 ) and install and run them.
Collapse -
Now I have another problem....
by Rina430 / August 13, 2012 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: You have said ...

I'm so embarrassed to even admit this lol! I downloaded Super Anti-Spyware, it definitely found more than the others, but now my computer is running much slower. I wanted to uninstall it. I went to my control panel to remove it, but it seemed to be frozen. I clicked uninstall again, a screen came up and I didn't realize that it was just asking me to remove it from the list. Now it's not showing up in my add/remove screen, but I know it's still installed because I ran it. How do I uninstall at this point?

Collapse -
Usually I install it again and then uninstall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2012 11:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
I did find pests....
by Rina430 / August 13, 2012 11:42 AM PDT

So couldn't I uninstall at this point? I truly appreciate everyone's help with this!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.