Laptops forum

Question

i have a toshiba L640 i5 3gb with 320gb and radeon 4500

by shujaathahmed1 / July 25, 2013 6:34 AM PDT

i have a toshiba L640 i5 3gb with 320gb and radeon 4500series graphic ...and its over 3 years old all these years it worked just pretty good all game worked and it was nice and now past few months when i play like hot pursuit or mortal kombat new edition my laptop goes off on its own..wat could the problem be should i uprgade and is it posssible to upgrade? if i upgrade my ram and graphic card what could be suggestion to go for

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i have a toshiba L640 i5 3gb with 320gb and radeon 4500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i have a toshiba L640 i5 3gb with 320gb and radeon 4500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you done the usual maintenance?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

Always share the last time you used the canned air and at this age you would either change the heat sink compound or have it done if you don't do your own work.

About upgrades. The 3GB is a tip off this is a 32 bit OS so you would not change the RAM. The video after a quick look shows a laptop and just like most laptops, no slot to put in anything else.
Bob

Collapse -
doubt
by shujaathahmed1 / July 25, 2013 9:44 AM PDT

thank u sir for ur support..

i have never ever did the cleanin of my laptop or the fan...ill get it a heat sink fan cleaned up from a service centre..
wat does a 32bit OS mean..? when i purchased my laptop they said its upgradeble to some 6 or 8 gb ram ..and wat abt my 4500 radeon card is it a good one for games like nfs hot pursuit and mortal kombat typer games?
is it possible tat i can upgrade or fix a new better gaming graphic card in my laptop ...will my laptop be suitable for it?

Collapse -
Here's what it means. Links on the search about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: doubt
http://lifehacker.com/5431284/the-lifehacker-guide-to-64+bit-vs-32+bit-operating-systems

As to you re-do on the graphic card issue, I can't tell what settings you use as well as I didn't figure out the exact model of Tosh you have. The L640 is a series and I can't go look at the more than dozen models to guess what you have. Please supply exact models for best answers.

As to the last question, the series so far has no upgrade method or slot for the video card.
Bob
Collapse -
model details
by shujaathahmed1 / July 25, 2013 3:43 PM PDT

thank u sir for ur help....

as far as i checked my system type is showing as 64 bit operating system.i had recently changed my OS from home premium to ultimate..
laptop details. Toshiba L640 model number- PSKOLG 01D002
OS- windows7 ultimate Sp 1
ram-3 gb hdd-320
graphic- ATI radeon 4500 series
size- 14 inches

Collapse -
In that case
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2013 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: model details

Head to crucial.com and install the maximum amount of ram for it's last upgrade.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?