Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I have a solution

by TONI H / August 14, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

to the war on terror....

For every man and woman in service and/or enlisting, make it a requirment that the mother of that person also joins up. Then put the mother as 'point man' for her child.......

Watch the terrorists fall like flies as the mother protects her 'cub'.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have a solution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have a solution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Terrorist might also find use for their mothers
by Steven Haninger / August 14, 2006 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a solution

by using them as shields. Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i dont think terriosts had mothers :)
by Mark5019 / August 14, 2006 5:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
We could also....
by Josh K / August 14, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a solution

....make it a requirement that anyone voting in favor of military action be required to have his/her kids enlist.

Jenna and Barbara, start packing!!!

Collapse -
and
by Mark5019 / August 14, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: We could also....

we could make it a crime for people who never served to tell how to fight a war

here comes the judge,

Collapse -
Well that means Cheney should really keep his mouth shut
by Josh K / August 14, 2006 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: and

Right?

Collapse -
but at least he has generals that
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

served.

so i take it yourgeting your arm chair recovered?

Collapse -
I have advisors too
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

My brother-in-law is an ex-Marine. So do I get the same exemption Cheney gets?

Collapse -
nope
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: I have advisors too

as ex marine
now if he was in and in power

Collapse -
There go Rove and Cheney!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 14, 2006 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: and
Collapse -
and thats why we have a president
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 12:32 AM PDT

rove and cheney do they have that power?

Collapse -
Well......yes, they do, Cheney at least
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

He's helping set policy. So should he be able to do that since he never served?

Collapse -
helping set
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 1:09 AM PDT

but cant send josh your grasping at straws give it up your embarasseing yourself again

dont try to be what you never could be

Collapse -
Your own words, Mark
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: helping set
we could make it a crime for people who never served to tell how to fight a war

Cheney does this all the time. He did it during the 2004 campaign. He did it just the other day in response to the outcome of the Connecticut primary. So should he be able to do that or not?
Collapse -
Yes - Talk about grasping on straws
by daveworld / August 15, 2006 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Your own words, Mark
Collapse -
It wasn't the first time....
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

....Cheney tried to scare people out of voting for the "wrong" candidate. It worked last time so it's hard to blame him for doing it again.

And no, Mark, I am not coming out in favor of Lamont.

Collapse -
Using the war on terror for political gain
by JP Bill / August 15, 2006 3:56 AM PDT

Wolfe Blitzer, CNN

Last night when introducing a story, instead of saying the "Politics of Terror"

He said

the "Terror of Politics"

Collapse -
why is that wrong
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 4:31 AM PDT

he was against terriosts
not the cut and run democrats.

Collapse -
i would think he gets advise from generals
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Your own words, Mark

wouldnt you think so josh hes not as dumb as you try to make him

Collapse -
Nobody's trying to make him seem dumb, Mark
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 4:33 AM PDT

YOU are the one who said people who have not served should not comment on how a war should be fought. I merely pointed out that your restriction would exclude the Vice President.

Collapse -
i think most
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 5:06 AM PDT

with common sense would see the diference josh evan you should

Collapse -
Your rule didn't make exceptions...
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: i think most

....for elected officials. Do you want to amend your rule?

Collapse -
like i said common sense you
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

Common sense
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses of this term, see common sense (disambiguation).

Look up Common sense in
Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

One meaning of the term common sense (or as an adjective, commonsense/common-sense or as an adverb, commonsensical) on a strict construction of the term, is what people in common would agree; that which they "sense" in common as their common natural understanding. Some use the phrase to refer to beliefs or propositions that in their opinion they consider would in most people's experience be prudent and of sound judgment, without dependence upon esoteric knowledge or study or research, but based upon what is believed to be knowledge held by people "in common". The knowledge and experience most people have, or are believed to have by the person using the term.

Whatever definition is considered apt, identifying particular items of knowledge that are "common sense" is more difficult. Philosophers may choose to avoid using the phrase where precise language is required. Common sense is a perennial topic in epistemology and widely used or referred to by many philosophers. Some related concepts include intuitions, pre-theoretic belief, ordinary language, the frame problem, foundational beliefs, endoxa, and axioms.

Common sense ideas tend to relate to events within human experience, and thus commensurate with human scale. Thus there is no commonsense intuition of, for example, the behavior of the universe at subatomic distances or speeds approaching that of light.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Philosophy and common sense
* 2 Other uses
* 3 Projects to collect common sense
* 4 See also

[edit]

Philosophy and common sense

There are two general meanings to the term "common sense" in philosophy. One is a sense that is common to the others, and the other meaning is a sense of things that is common to humanity.

The first meaning was proposed by John Locke in his An Essay Concerning Human Understanding. This interpretation is based on phenomenological experience. Each of the senses gives input, and then these must be integrated into a single impression. This is the common sense, the sense of things in common between disparate impressions. It is therefore allied with "fancy", and it is opposed to "judgment", or the capacity to divide like things into separates. Each of the empiricist philosophers approach the problem of the unification of sense data in one's own way, giving various names to the operation. However, all believe that there is a sense in the human understanding that sees commonality and does the combining. This is the "common sense".

Two philosophers are most famous for advocating the other meaning of "common sense", the view (to state it imprecisely) that common sense beliefs are true and form a foundation for philosophical inquiry: Thomas Reid, G. E. Moore.

The Scottish philosopher Thomas Reid, a contemporary of Hume and the founder of the so-called Scottish School of Common Sense, devotes considerable space in his Inquiry and the Intellectual Powers developing a theory of common sense. While he never gives a definition, per se, he does offer a number of so-called "earmarks" of common sense (which he sometimes calls "principles of common sense"), such as

* principles of common sense are believed universally (with the apparent exceptions of some philosophers and the insane);
* it is appropriate to ridicule the denial of common sense;
* the denial of principles of common sense leads to contradictions.

Of course, each of these is stated and explained by Reid much more carefully than is done here.

The British philosopher G. E. Moore, who did important work in epistemology, ethics, and other fields near the beginning of the twentieth century, is famous for a programmatic essay, "A Defence of Common Sense". This essay had a profound effect on the methodology of much twentieth-century Anglo-American philosophy. In this essay, Moore lists several seemingly very obvious truths, such as "There exists at this time a living human body which is my body.", "My body has existed continuously on or near the earth, at various distances from or in contact with other existing things, including other living human beings.", and many other such platitudes. He argues (as Reid did before him) that these propositions are much more obviously true than the premises of many philosophical claims which entail their falsehood (such as the claim that time does not exist, a claim of A. N. Whitehead's).

Both Reid and Moore, individually, are famous for appealing to common sense to refute skepticism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense

Collapse -
Gee, thanks for the definition
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 6:33 AM PDT

Just out of curiosity, does your "elected officials who didn't serve" exemption include President Clinton?

Collapse -
josh "president" is the key word
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 9:32 AM PDT

unfortunately being president doesn't take military service.
or being honest or moral so i guess hes an exemption

Collapse -
So then....
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 10:11 AM PDT

...if you consider it unfortunate that being President doesn't require military service, would you consider it unfortunate if (for any reason) Cheney became President?

Collapse -
as long as he listened
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 12:12 PM PDT

to people that have proper training but thats a mute point i doubt hes running
but if he did and was elected he would have military advisers that a good cic would take advise

and we all know he can shoot

Collapse -
Yes, we all know he can inflict casualties.....
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 11:12 PM PDT

....on his own troops.

So when you said people who haven't served have no business saying how a war should be fought, you didn't really mean it. That's what I figured.

Collapse -
no josh
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 11:21 PM PDT

now you need glasses

i said :as long as he listens to his advisers or something like that"

but try as you might you cant get your foot out of your mouth Sad

Collapse -
OK, so if I tell you I'm listening....
by Josh K / August 15, 2006 11:41 PM PDT

....to my advisors, will you stop with the "you didn't serve so what do you know" stuff?

Collapse -
no josh as
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 11:46 PM PDT

your not in charge, and we would have to see your advisers credentials.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?