Question

I have a Samsung Smart TV, want to record TV shows

I have Samsung 6400 series 46" smart TV. Can I record TV shows without cable or satellite? Can I use a USB stick? If so what kind? Or can I do it with a sound bar? I am considering buying a sound bar. ( I don't want to pay for cable or satellite)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I have a Samsung Smart TV, want to record TV shows
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I have a Samsung Smart TV, want to record TV shows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Full model number please. And country.

All the US 2012 and prior TV models didn't record. Hopefully you can supply the product and country information so we can look it up.

However the recording speed of most USB sticks is too slow. The usual recorder calls for the usual old HDD.
Bob

- Collapse -
recording

I have a year2013 6400 model uk and can record to usb or hardrive but you should note that you can't record one channel and watch a different channel. Hope this helps

- Collapse -
Sounds right

But as there is only one tuner, that's expected. I know folk create more than one member account so are you jelirn?

- Collapse -
replying

No I'm just a new member trying to be helpful.if someone hasn't used the feature before they might not be aware that they can't . I myself have a freesat box which I use to watch a different channel while recording from built in tuner.

- Collapse -
(NT) jelirn here, I have only one account
- Collapse -
No so

Most of the 6 series and up sold in North America prior to 2012 have the PVR with timeshift built in, it is just deactivated.

Here is some info on using the built in PVR:

The recommended storage device is a USB HDD (Hard Disk Drive), Both AC powered and USB power HDD. USB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) operate between 5400rpm (USB powered) - 7200rpm (AC powered), this means that they have a higher constant read and write, this is essential for the recording function, USB memory sticks on the other hand fluctuate greatly in their reading and writing capabilities, this makes them unreliable when it comes to purchasing a USB storage device for the TV's recoding function.

1. When you watch a broadcast programme, select the right arrow using your remote to start the Timeshift function.
2. If you want to stop the Timeshift function, select the square button on your remote.
* The Timeshift mode operates for a maximum of 90 minutes.
* The Timeshift function is not supported for analogue channels.
* The Timeshift function is disabled for channels locked with Channel Lock

Any one interested; understanding that this is at their own risk can email me for instructions.

Frank

- Collapse -
word of warning

You should also make it plain that accessing the service menu to change setting for deactivated functions is very risky if you make a mistake there is a great risk to bricking the tv. Not recomended for the inexperienced.

- Collapse -
needing further help

I would like more information on how to record with a 46n6000 model here in Canada
thanks

- Collapse -
samsung pvr

frank you email address is hidden--please check my profile and send me the instuctions for a d series us model if you have the time
thanks
chris

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Search Google "PVR on Canadian ES Series - Confirmed!"
- Collapse -
Would like the info

As well. Can't figure out how to contact directly. Thanks

Mitchekl

- Collapse -
Search Google

Enter this text in Google including quotes.

"PVR on Canadian ES Series - Confirmed!"

- Collapse -
Specs - LED TV UN46D6400UF | 46" Class LED 6400series
Bought in August 2013, Not sure if it was built in 2013. Bought in SF, Ca. USA. Specs - LED TV UN46D6400UF | 46" Class LED 6400series
Thanks for your information
- Collapse -
I don't see such a feature.
- Collapse -
Trust Me

Bob, I can 100% guarantee, that US and Canadian (North American) sets, 6 series and up (at least from the 2012 model year back) have a built in, but deactivated PVR.

Frank

- Collapse -
I know that.

There's a little computer in these but if folk go off the reservation they often get really upset about the voided warranties and no support.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes and No

I hear what you are saying, and like anything it takes research, and understanding the risk vs. gain.

Now I'm also not talking about rooting the TV, or adding code or widgets. Just a matter of turning a built in function from "off" to "on". There really is a purpose built-in PVR.

No voided warranty there, as you have only turned on a built in function. No different than turning on the close captions.

Now if you screw with a bunch of setting that you have no idea about, while there, and cause your TV not to work correctly and require a service call, then yes, you will have voided the warranty, so long as your actions caused the problem with the TV.

Frank

- Collapse -
Actually in some countries, including the U.S....

...you may be breaking some sort of licensing agreement by activating a feature such as a <hidden> built-in PVR (etc.). Copyright laws & licensing are tricky business (something I work with every day).

Food for thought anyway.

That said, I am anxious to hear if you got it to activate. Nothing wrong with a little experimentation as long as you understand the risks.

- Collapse -
It's Alive

It's been working for over 3 months now. The HDD gets formatted to only work with the TV it's connected to, and if the main board was changed, you would have to reformat, and loose all your recordings. It's part of Samsung's Digital Rights Management. So no sharing and only with your TV.

Frank

- Collapse -
Good warning here!!! READ THIS ONE!!!

I've lost count of and will not enter into the discussion about the protected recording issues.

It's far worse than losing the recordings if you've been around. The XFS (file system) has been known to spontaneously melt down (where did my recordings go?)

And some some consumers feel they "own" what they recorded. This leads to no end of flames in such discussions.
Bob

- Collapse -
VCR?

I hear you. I'm just glad to be able to "tape" a show when I'm out. For me it's no different than having a 12hr VHS tape that you continually record over to tape your programs when away.

Frank

- Collapse -
VCR requires Cable or satelite too :(

VCR requires Cable or satelite too, Sad I don't want to pay for satellite or cable. I don't need it, with all the HDMI antenna shows, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. Oh My it looks like I am cornered. I Can't record Analogue shows without cable or satellite. Very risky to record digital shows with PVR function. Just wondering, When did they decide to take the recordable function out of TV's and why? This is not fair to the consumer!!!

- Collapse -
It was noted above.

Those names do not want us to record shows. Since there are agreements to be made, laws differ in the USA it's has never been a TECHNICAL QUESTION.

If you feel it is unfair to the consumer, vote with your wallet.
Bob

- Collapse -
I wish that was true.

But if folk get into the service menu, fixing the set is usually not covered.

Maybe it's time to really lock folk out of the service menus? Even you want to have it both ways so the makers will have to decide if they need to lock it down harder.
Bob

- Collapse -
In a Perfect World

Well, I can't agree with that. It's no different then changing a part on you truck or car for more performance. If you break it as a result of what you did, then it's on you.

Now for this I had to buy the Service Manual and Service Remote from an authorized Samsung parts store. So it's not like it's wide open. Also, both service techs and those calibrators from authorized dealers need and access the Service Menu, so it's not like they could really close it off.

Frank

- Collapse -
How do you enable PVR

Hi Frank,

How do you enable PVR feature. I have UN55F6300 and PVR is not available option in any menu.
Could you please email me instructions, or post them to this forum.

Thank you,
Kenan

- Collapse -
Maybe Maybe Not

Search Google for "PVR on Canadian ES Series - Confirmed!". The site where this information is held can not be linked to on here. My info is also for an E Series. The newer F Series would be similar, but there may be differences. There is a F Series section, so do lots of reading. And remember if you chose to play around with these hidden features, any damage you do to your TV is on you.

Frank

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "D" was built in 2011
- Collapse -
Can I play VCR tapes on Smart TV w/o cable or satellite?

I give up, here is my last question. I still have my old TV (12 years old) and I have 2 VCR recorders. If I record from the old TV, can I then play it back on the Samsung Smart TV? (I see now, there is little hope of recording on the Smart TV without cable or Satellite. This is SOOOOO WRONG!!!!. What with the price we pay for all the technology, a Smart TV should have the capacity to record without paying more for cable or satellite!!!!!)

- Collapse -
Why not?

It looks to have Composite and Audio L/R inputs so why not?

And what stops this old VCR from being used on the new TV?

-> Finally, I thought the recorder worked on OTA. Over The Air. Why I added this is simple. Netflix and such things are APPS that once they launch have full control. So why isn't the app doing this?
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info