The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

I have a portable Nielson receiver.

by runescapehackerpro / November 20, 2006 11:44 PM PST

The Nielson ratings system is now portable. It's not a device that is bolted to my TV or radio. Radio and TV programs are now encoded with an inaudible ID. The programs that I watch can be rated regardless if I watch it live or DVR it. It also works in the car or wherever I go. The data is uploaded every night when I put it in the charger.

I don't have access to any data, but I wish that I could see the numbers to know how my viewing and listening habits are affecting rating. I am very careful about channel surfing now. I might be responsible for more scifi and supernatural related TV programming, although I wasn't able to save Surface or Invasion.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I have a portable Nielson receiver.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I have a portable Nielson receiver.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They actually exist?
by gamegeek90 / November 20, 2006 11:50 PM PST

Lucky! I had to do a nielson survey a few years ago and it was just filling out a notebook every night. I like to think I had a significant part in bringing up TechTV's numbers that quarter. Considering the tiny number of nielson respondents, I probably did.

Collapse -
I haven't had it that long.
by runescapehackerpro / November 20, 2006 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: They actually exist?

TechTV was already dead when I got my receiver. I make a conscious effort not to watch G4 ever.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well played :)
by gamegeek90 / November 21, 2006 12:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Thats cool
by kellenjb / November 21, 2006 12:38 AM PST

This seems like it could be a good idea for ratings. Kinda scary in some points though. Like not even being able to see the ratings you are sending them. Who knows, they might have a GPS stuck in your car radio that is sending them information of where you went to... Happy I doubt this but I guess it could be done.

Can you describe how it works a bit more for me? Is it like a TV tuner that you attach to your TV? Or is it something that is just recording audio that is able to pick up on a high frequency ID tag in the audio? This seems very cool but hard to do as there could be noise in the room, or a tv volume turned low. Thanks!

Collapse -
am I just Stupid?
by kellenjb / November 21, 2006 2:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thats cool

I get the feeling that I am either just very out of the loop and have no idea what I am talking about, no one cares at all, or no one really knows. :-P Does anyone know?!?

Collapse -
It looks like a pager.
by runescapehackerpro / November 21, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Thats cool

I just wear it on my hip. It has a built in motion sensor, so I just can't leave it in front of a TV for hours. If there is no movement in about 5-10 minutes, the green light blinks and it shuts off.

The FAQ addresses the noise and volume issue. It's like the human ear. If I can hear it, then the signal can be heard. If there is more than one thing on in a room, then the loudest device will be picked up.

That's about all that I know. I guess they don't give us too much information, so that we can't game the system.

Collapse -
(NT) Do you have plans for the next Firefly marathon?
by RTourn / November 21, 2006 1:59 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.