Question

i have 100% cpu load problem

I have i7 7700 3.6ghz rog strix 1070 ti 16 ram rog strix z270h motherboard and lately my cpu started to go to 100% when gaming, i never had such thing before, it started with going to 90 at first and now when i play such games as battlefield call of duty or other new games it is just stuck at 100% and wont come down unless i lock fps to 30 or in some games to 60, i would consider this as cpu bottleneck but i never experienced this before its something that started lately, i took my pc for troubleshooting to different places but none could find what the problem is.

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: i have 100% cpu load problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: i have 100% cpu load problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'm reading this more and more.

I'll start with I disagree that 100% CPU load during gaming is "cpu bottleneck." If folk want to define this as such, then from now on the only acceptable CPU could be the new i9 line.

I've seen 100% for years as games take everything we throw at them. Newer games seem to be worse about this than before.

- Collapse -

yes but this started recently i was running those games at 60-70 usage before now its even 100% when i install new game, setups make pc lag...

- Collapse -
It's how it is today.

More and more games maximize eye candy pushing the machine harder. You can either adjust settings, look at how new games are running the CPU at 100% since games are now utilizing all the cores or fall for the CPU bottleneck story and shop for a PC like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfmM71NOTo

I continue to just adjust settings if I feel the game is laggy. I only have a gaming laptop with the usual i7+1060 but see new games don't get optimized today to curb CPU and GPU use.

- Collapse -

i dont mind cpu being 100% if game did not lag at 100% usage... the fps is dropping every time it hits 100%

- Collapse -
THAT ISSUE!

I'm running into folk that want a stable FPS reading. Sorry but unless we go overkill on CPU and GPU or adjust game settings to avoid pushing our PC that hard, your only choice is to upgrade again.

I can read just about any GPU review on say Tom's Hardware and the FPS does vary a lot during gaming. Here's a page for example. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition,5809-7.html

You'll have to use it's FRAME TIME results and you see frame time does vary greatly during the test run anywhere from 5 mS to 15 mS. This is why you see FPS drops during the game session.

This seems to be where folk are getting upset at the PC game systems. They want a nice stable pick some number FPS and frankly the games and PCs don't do that. You can pick almost any game and the FPS will vary depending on settings, screen complexity, driver versions and a list of other items.

I can't write them all here but see a lot of newer gamers writing about CPU bottlenecks and well, since the old i5-2500 could push a trio of GPUs that bottleneck is not seen today. You should see FPS jump around and it's a shame that folk are not adjusting the settings, capping the framerate and whatever else we can do rather than call out what it is not. (It's not a CPU bottleneck.)

- Collapse -

u did not get it..... there is problem is software that cause this other pcs with exact same parts have 0 problem runing those games there cpu load is in 30-70 range on same game that my pc runs into 100% all i ask is what can be problem. u judge when i play 1080p my cpu goes 100% (battlefield 1) when i run that game 4k its on 80-70 usage with no fps drops is that normal?

- Collapse -

dont matter ultra or low setting it is on 100% and i dont think i7 7700 can be at 100% on all seettings low like battlefield 1

- Collapse -
If you want to optimize for a game

You hit that game's forum. There is nothing new going on here. You can see CPU+GPU percent 100% for a number of reasons. If it worked before, go back to what worked.

A lot of folk learn the hard way to not update drivers unless there's a solid reason. Microsoft and W10 is automatically updating drivers and you run into this a lot more than before.

-> But if you maintain that 100% CPU equals CPU bottleneck then there is no choice other than to change settings, drivers and such or admit defeat and budget for that i9.

I wish there was a single cause or cure for FPS fluctation or what folk think is the bottleneck but I continue to use the same cures. Settings, drivers, etc.

- Collapse -
this is what i was talking about
https://prnt.sc/neym0p

this is creen of my cpu it is not working as it should be this is what i wanted to say, its not the system weakness itself but cpu not working to its best, now just trying to understand why...
- Collapse -
If the CPU isn't benchmarking well

You tackle that on its own.

But your CPU benchmarked similar to a lot of other PCs. To really get into that you share FULL LINKS to the tests. You are doling out the information with screenshot of this or that. But I did see an UHD 4K monitor or TV.

This means unless you have a dual 1080 or dual 2080 GPU system I do not expect gameplay to be smooth and around 60 FPS.

Do not dole out the information. Supply the link to the Userbenchmark and if I were to read more I'd use the Speccy report as noted at https://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

- Collapse -
Answer
Just looking
- Collapse -
sorry for late response

here u go
- Collapse -
sorry for late response
- Collapse -
meh
- Collapse -
UHD 4K Gaming.

Nope. You do not have a UHD 4K Gaming rig.

It was only with the dual GTX 2080 that I finally saw gaming at UHD 4K work as well as what we had on 1080p and 1440p.

It's a shame you didn't share the link to the actual Userbenchmark but this screen shot had enough information to show your PC is just not up to 4K gaming standards. It may run the game but the owner will complain.

- Collapse -
Try it again

But this time just copy and paste the url of the results page into a post.

- Collapse -
i am not trying for 4k

my cpu goes to 100% no matter 4k 1080p ultra or low it goes 100% and wont come down this started recently no matter graphics it cant stay below 100 even if i try like super low settings

- Collapse -
Yet there is an UHD 4K monitor attached.

I don't expect good performance here. And I've seen hit and miss performance with less than a dual GPU of the 1080 or 2080. That is, the owner will see their game do OK then tank leading to all sorts of support questions.

Which appears to be happening here. You are repeating a very common problem.

- Collapse -
thats not my monitor...
- Collapse -
Where's the full report? Plus NOTICE BACKGROUND CPU!

Posting just the screen shot. Why are you leaving out the full report. Are you trying to redact it like the attorney general? What are you hiding?

Let's see that FULL Speccy report. It's not a screenshot but a link. Same for Userbenchmark.

Sharing incorrect information like you did above misleads everyone. Sharing just a portion of the results gives the forum incomplete information as well.

And this doesn't even broach game issues like we are seeing in say Apex Legends.

Even with the partial data, I see Userbenchmark complained. Are you seeing this?

Post was last edited on April 21, 2019 12:20 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Answer
Let's discuss "dont matter ultra or low setting it is on 100

"dont matter ultra or low setting it is on 100% and i dont think i7 7700 can be at 100% on all seettings low like battlefield 1"

I've seen that. Turns out the owner had the monitor plugged into the motherboard video port and not the GPU.

I hope you can get the full Speccy and Userbench links in your discussion as that can show this and more.

CNET Forums