Mac OS forum

General discussion

I hate Mac's! (Rant)

Background - I'm an IT manager responsible for over 400 computers spread accross 5 states all of which are PC's.

So my boss comes in with his wifes G5 last week saying he thinks shes got a virus and wanted me to fix it. I start the thing up and it gives me the Mac screen of death - the "You need to reboot your computer" message in 20 different languages. So I reboot and get the same message over and over. I read somewhere online that maybe it's a memory problem. So I replace the memory. Same problem - didn't fix it.

After some fiddling, I am able to get the damn thing to actually boot and go to repair the permissions on the hard disk. It fixes them no problem and I reboot only to get the same damn Mac screen of death.

My boss brings the OS X discs that came with the computer so I can use the hardware test. The extended test runs and everything comes back with no problems or errors but I'm still getting the screen of death.

Next thing I thought was maybe the hard drive is going bad. Without any other way to test it, I decided just to buy a new one. That was cheaper than buying the software to test it with.

I get the new hard drive today, take out 20,000 screws to install it and finally get it up and running. Boot up to the OS X installation disk, partition the hard drive and start the installation. It asks for the 2nd disk, I put it in and it continues the installation.

Then about 50% into it, it gives another damn error message saying the installation failed. After searching for this new problem, I come to find out some of the OS X disks that went out with the G5's had a corrupt 2nd installation disk. The solution was to take any upgrades out (new memory, hard drive) and try again. So I took the memory out (left the hard drive in for obvious reasons) and started over.

Put disk 2 in and get the same crap - installation failed. So I went to just start over with disk one but it goes to a bunch of text instead of booting to the disk saying it failed to load a driver of some sort.

I'm at my wits end, about to throw this POS out the window (if I had one in my office hehe)...

I just don't understand for the life of me why someone would want to buy a computer that they have no control over. You can't create a startup disk to run your own programs at startup, it won't boot from linux based disks like normal computers do. You have to have your specific OS X installation disk for it to reinstall the OS. It takes years of rebooting and knowing what stupid key to hold down just to get the damn disk to eject. Is it soooo hard just to put a button on the disk drive to eject it or is that not cool enough for Mac users? Is it sooo hard to allow someone to make a boot disk to run their own utilities without making me go pay $100+ for whatever Mac only software is available to test my hardware?!?!? And they say Microsoft nickle and dimes you...

I'm just ranting...this is only the 2nd Mac I've worked on and to be honest I don't see the draw to these things. From an IT standpoint - these things are a freaking nightmare. I hope I never see another Mac again...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I hate Mac's! (Rant)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I hate Mac's! (Rant)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Story seems odd

In reply to: I hate Mac's! (Rant)

First of all, Power Mac G5s are towers and were quite easy to mess with. Sounds like you are talking about an iMac. My friend has one of those, and he told me that to replace parts inside, you just pop 2 screws on the base out to remove the back. From there, the whole machine is accessible and is easy to work on. He said Apple even sent his friend a new hard drive and repair parts to fix a dead drive a couple of years ago. No voided warranty or anything. Not bad.

If everything you say is true, then perhaps the logic board is fried from something. Those G5 chips ran hot. My G4 runs fine over here, and it is quite a bit older than whatever you are probably working with. I'm thinking that the owner of this machine must have done something to provoke this problem. Otherwise, something failed and it may be impossible to repair. That computer might as well be replaced at this point in time. The Intel Macs are very reliable and well-built.

Run programs at startup? Many apps I have will load upon powering on. Under the Accounts pane in System Preferences, you have a list of Startup Items. You can get should be able to run anything after logging in. I don't see what you are getting at.
You can reinstall the system with a regular Leopard disk. You can get a copy at Apple or Amazon, etc. The restore disks are shipped along with the Mac to allow the user to "restore" the computer to the system it came with and to give you some utilities and bundled programs. You should be able to run hardware tests off of the restore disks. If the owner has more recent software, you could try that route and install newer copies of iLife or whatever he or she is using on it.

There should be a little hole or something on the slot-load drive which will automatically eject the disc if it should get stuck, from what I've been told. I've also heard some people say managing Macs on their networks has been pretty good for them. This iMac may not run most builds of Linux considering that it uses a PowerPC chip and there are more Linux systems available for x86 architectures. The new Intel Macs can run Windows or any x86 OS natively.

Newer Macs simply work better, and I recommend you try using one and comparing the two. Condemning all of Apple's products for the malfunction of one of their older machines isn't very reasonable. Good luck working with that G5.

-BMF

Collapse -
One more thing

If you are so frustrated with your experiences, and I quote: "I hope I never see another Mac again...", why are you trying to "rant" and complain about it all in Mac forums? For someone trying to avoid them, you sure talk about them a lot. Seems pretty hypocritical. If you were frustrated and were seeking advice or assistance, that's one thing, but that does not seem to be the case. If you don't like Macs, fine, but you have no valid reason to hate them.

Your profile says you just joined CNET today. And a lot of your posts are all very negative towards Macs. It seems odd for an "IT manager" to come here and hate on Apple with little to no justification for it. Something you're not telling us? Or do you just hate Macs because "they're Macs"? How very interesting.

-BMF

Collapse -
BOGUS!

20,000 screws? Not on any G5 I have ever seen. Methinks you are just another joe with no working knowledge of a Mac, who got frustrated because it didn't work like his beloved Windows.

You could have started the thing up in Safe Mode, you just have to know how. I guess you have to know how in Windows too.
You can create a boot disk to start up your Mac, you just have to know how. I guess you have to know how in Windows too.

No specific OS X disk is required to boot a G5, it will boot from any retail OS X disk.

There are so many ways to remove a CD from a G5. Right click it and select Eject works very well. Oh wait, isn't that one of the commands on a Right Click on the CD icon in Windows too?
Select it and press the Eject button on the keyboard works too, as does dragging the icon to the Eject icon on the Dock.
If all else fails, hold down the left mouse button on boot and the disk will eject.
See, it's easy when you know how!

So, as rants go, yours is not a very good one. The best ones have actual facts in them.

I wouldn't go bragging about being an IT manager either, you do yourself no favors by doing so.

P

Collapse -

In reply to: BOGUS!

A rant is a rant and nothing more than that. I needed somewhere to vent, found a Mac forum and vented. Having stated that I've only worked on 2 Mac's before - you're a genius for figuring out I don't know much about them. Pat yourself on the back for that one skippy. Having so limited knowledge of Mac's would explain my frustration.

And yes I'm talking about an iMac G5 2Ghz from 2005. It's not that old but I think the hard drive failed. I took the additional memory I installed out and reran the installation. Everything went fine. The computer is up and running now and hopefully will stay that way.

Just to be clear, I had to remove 9 screws to replace the hard drive. I prefer a screwless case...but whatever...I'm up and running now and hopefully won't have to deal with any more Macs anytime soon. See ya suckas!

Collapse -
mac ranter

In reply to: .

Geez, I guess all Macs are useless based on that G5 that some lamer screwed up! Wow, in charge of 400 pee cees, huh, no wonder you seem so short-tempered, bud! Seriously, lighten up guys... why even defend macs to pc users... let them wallow in their misfortune!

Collapse -
Hmm...

In reply to: .

The tone of your post seems very unprofessional for someone claiming to be an experienced IT manager. Suckers eh? How polite. And 9 screws? Wow, it's the end of the world, right? It looks like the computer had a slight hardware malfunction and you just happened to botch the repairs when you opened it up. Not Apple's fault, that's for sure.

How hard is installing a new HD? I for one have found it to be quite easy and painless. Swap the drive, throw the OS X disc in, and off you go. The whole process (including the OS X install) would only be about 30 minutes to an hour or so. When I upgraded my G4 to Leopard, it took a little less than an hour; the CPU can only do so much. My old MacBook? That thing took 15 minutes with a 2.16Ghz C2D chip to upgrade the entire OS. Very nice. Similar Windows processes have taken me over 2 hours each. No comparison at all.

I doubt you even had to deal with a G5. Next time you decide to make a post, make sure you have an actual argument, some real facts or information, or a genuine question.

-BMF

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!