Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

I guess now it is time for BluRay

by boya84 / February 18, 2008 6:19 AM PST

writable optical drives to be available in Apple gear...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I guess now it is time for BluRay
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I guess now it is time for BluRay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New Mac Pros
by tleMega / February 18, 2008 7:24 AM PST

Or not :D. Perhaps they'll just add in the feature soon. We just need Toshiba to just say "It's over". Personally, I could care less. Every movie that I would want to watch is on DVD, and if I don't own it, I know I can go to Blockbuster or iTunes to get it. HD formats aren't that much better in that respect, though Blu-Ray will be a standard someday... but that's my two cents.
MS needs a Blu-Ray adapter for the 360 and Apple needs to make a Blu-Ray drive optional on all desktops. They could also take the Air drive, add it in, and make it compatible with everything, which would be great. But when would Apple make so many changes (or price cuts) right after they release a new product? I honestly think that it's nonsense for people to have gotten so upset with Apple's iPhone price cuts. That's what they always do with their products, and it had been out for a little while anyway. They were lucky enough to get $100 back.

Blu-Ray seems more like Apple than HD-DVD; plus, they've been backing the format since 2005, if I'm right.

-BMF

Collapse -
Movies are one reason for the media...
by boya84 / February 19, 2008 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: New Mac Pros

But just having 50 gig of archive storage will be great. I create high-definition video, and exporting finished projects back to the camcorder for archiving on digital tape works - but is not too efficient.

Then there's old pictures and various documents... and of course, I hope is that the discs don't get disc rot...

As I recall, Apple was "backing" both formats...

Collapse -
Apple is on the Blu-Ray board
by tleMega / February 19, 2008 7:44 AM PST

why would they back both? That's not what I heard. I do know that it is a fact that they support the Blu-Ray format.
Still, having it would be nice. If they could speed up iDVD processes, burning movies would be much more efficient for regular iMovie projects. iDVD lags a bit too... Actually, since Blu-Ray drives would be out for Macs, they could rename it iBlu or something... LOL.

-BMF

Collapse -
I don't know that
by boya84 / February 23, 2008 1:03 AM PST

Apple was actually "backing" both formats, but at one point last year I was researching the formats and was surprised to see that they were on the member company list. I went back to the HDDVD page and Apple is no longer listed. Yes, I agree that they have always supported BluRay - and being a Boared member is different than just being in an org.

The "iDVD speed up" for rendering - I think - will pretty much always take a while. The frames need to be individually rendered, so the CPU is working pretty hard. In today's environment, that means downsampling from hidef to standard def, then rendering the frame. If the downsampling work is not required, it might be faster - but high def is still 4x more data... my head is spinning...

LaCie has had a BluRay burner available for a while... http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10058 (I didn't say it was affordable - just that they've been selling one... ; ) ).

Collapse -
True
by tleMega / February 23, 2008 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know that

Still, I always heard that they supported only Blu-Ray... Never mind that. I knew that in iDVD, the frames have to be individually rendered, but it would be nicer if that could be sped up :P.

Who needs a Blu-Ray burner anyway? I really don't see why anyone would want to put their movies into that format... I can at least understand storage reasons, but really, it isn't cheap at all, like you said. Each to their own ;-).

-BMF

Collapse -
I hope not!!
by richmg821 / February 29, 2008 11:41 PM PST

Blu-ray is still expensive. I'm hoping that; Red ray; VDM, NME; wins and starts selling in more stores. I can afford producing HD-red ray dvd's. Less than 10% of the people, world wide own high def tv's,and or players. If it works, and cheaper; that's what we should go for. I already bought a red ray VMD player, and I love it. It upconverts, plays high def, has 5.1 outputs; all under $200. If Hollywood, sees that we are buying red-ray players, instead of Blu-ray. Somebody will jump on the bandwagon. It's not about Sony or Blu-ray; it's about price. I got over 8 DVD affordable players/ portable etc., in my apt. Blu-Ray cannot be afforded in the same way. Inform the public on Red ray. Don't let Sony buy Hollywood; this ia a democracy. I had Sony Beta, they lost once, being big-headed; let them lose again, or come down in price. You're only paying for a blue-violet laser, not some new electronic technology.

Collapse -
Got any links for "Red Ray"?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: I hope not!!

What country are you in that is a democracy?

P

Collapse -
Red laser links
by richmg821 / March 1, 2008 5:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the links
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Red laser links

So you don't actually live in a democracy then!

So the answer to your earlier statement, "Don't let Sony buy Hollywood; this ia a democracy." would be "No it's not"

P

Collapse -
Interesting, but it'll never take off in the Western world
by 3rdalbum / March 1, 2008 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Red laser links

It's an interesting idea, but it will never take off in the Western world. There are two factors to look at:

1. Studios releasing movies onto the format
2. Manufacturers of the players

HD-DVD lost out even though they had major studios releasing movies onto HD-DVD format. They eventually lost those studios. HDVMD doesn't have any major Western studios, only a couple of indies and some poor Bollywood producers.

Who manufactures the players? Toshiba lost out with HD-DVD because they were the only ones with an HD-DVD player (excluding LG, who made a multiformat player). Stores that can't get Toshiba products can't support HD-DVD. HDVMD is supported by one hardware manufacturer, and not a big-name manufacturer. Blu-ray is supported by Sony, Samsung, Sharp, LG, Panasonic and Pioneer.

The only thing HD-DVD had going for it was the price of the players. Since this is the only thing HDVMD has going for it, it's not likely to take off here. Maybe in Asia and India, as you say; but not where Cnet is located.

The idea of "red-ray" does interest me, but it has come to the party too late and does not have major backing. As little as Blu-ray's market penetration is, it is positively entrenched compared to HDVMD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?