Speakeasy forum

General discussion

i guess lieing runs in this famially

by Mark5019 / May 5, 2006 4:32 AM PDT

Pat cites pills in car wreck
By Dave Wedge
Friday, May 5, 2006 - Updated: 01:05 AM EST

WASHINGTON -U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy insisted yesterday that he had consumed ?no alcohol? before he slammed his Mustang convertible into a concrete barrier near his office, but a hostess at a popular Capitol Hill watering hole told the Herald she saw him drinking in the hours before the crash.
Like father...
Continuing adventures of Rhode Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy
Official comment
?He was drinking a little bit,? said the woman, who works at the Hawk & Dove and would not give her name.
Leaving his office late last night, Kennedy refused to say whether he?d been to the Hawk & Dove the night before.
Earlier in the evening, Kennedy issued a statement through his office blaming the accident and strange behavior surrounding it on prescription drugs.
He said he returned to his Capitol Hill home on Wednesday evening after House votes and took ?prescribed? amounts of Phenergan and Ambien.
Phenergan is for gastroenteritis, he said. Ambien is a popular sleep medication.
?Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote,? his second statement said. ?Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication.?
Questions arose surrounding the wreck amid police reports that Kennedy was ?staggering? and appeared intoxicated after nearly hitting a Capitol Police cruiser and then striking the barrier.
The incident became public when the union representing Capitol Police alleged in a publicly released letter that superior officers prevented rank-and-file cops from properly investigating the crash.
The letter from the cops union said police spotted Kennedy?s Mustang swerving with its lights off. The car narrowly missed a cruiser before slamming into a security barricade, according to the letter written by officer Chris Baird, chairman of the department?s union.
The driver exited the vehicle and he was observed to be staggering, Baird?s letter states. The letter also said that Kennedy claimed he was?late to a vote.? The last House vote was taken nearly six hours earlier.
Patrolmen?s union president Lou Cannon told the Associated Press that officers were fuming that police brass intervened and blocked attempts to give Kennedy sobriety tests. ?The officers just want to be able to do their jobs,? Cannon said.
Leaving his Capitol Hill office last night, Kennedy told reporters: ?I asked for no special treatment.?
After Kennedy responded to the swelling scandal with his first letter, a Herald reporter visisted bars where Kennedy is known to socialize.
A bartender at the Tune Inn, which is next to the Hawk & Dove, also said Kennedy was spotted in the Hawk & Dove Wednesday.
Hawk & Dove manager Edgar Gutierrez said Kennedy is a regular in the bar. Gutierrez said he was working Wednesday night but did not see the congressman.
Kennedy, who has battled booze and drug problems in the past, said in his first statement: ?I will fully cooperate with the Capitol Police in whatever investigation they choose to undertake.?

at least he didnt kill a woman this time and get away with it:(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i guess lieing runs in this famially
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i guess lieing runs in this famially
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm glad I'm not...
by J. Vega / May 5, 2006 4:39 AM PDT

I'm glad that I'm not that hostess. I wonder if she'll be called something like "trailer park trash" or worse if she doesn't shut up.

Collapse -
Lying is part of the disease, Mark
by Josh K / May 5, 2006 5:13 AM PDT

I've had friends and others close to me with addictions and lying is all part of it. They lie to themselves, to the people who care about them, it's all part of the disease. I'd imagine that public figures with substance problems feel even more self-induced pressure to lie.

A good friend of mine was a heroin addict. One day she called me up and asked if she could borrow $20 for ''some toilet paper.'' I said that since the grocery store was on the way to her house, why didn't I just pick up the TP on the way down. She got mad and hung up.

She's been clean for 17 years now BTW.

Collapse -
Prescription meds - Addiction - Rehab sound familiar
by null. / May 5, 2006 5:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
He should not be making laws ...
by Evie / May 5, 2006 5:41 AM PDT

... for the rest of us to live by, that's for sure.

He should have spent the night in their jail -- even if it was totally unrelated to alcohol. You shouldn't be driving when you are that impaired, and driving him home? Arrrrgggghhhh!

Collapse -
She's been clean for 17 years ?
by jonah jones / May 5, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

that's a lot of toilet paper josh....

Wink

Collapse -
well till these people are held
by Mark5019 / May 5, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

to there improper deeds
people will allways find excuses for them huh josh.
and your friends lucky.
seems the kennedys havent learned from the past.
remeber to ignor the past means it will byte u in the azz:(
thes drunks havent yet faced there responceabillty of there actions.
if it was you or me we been locked up if we didnt submit to a breathalizer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?