Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

I got a virus that changed my font to symbols- please help

by jmic / November 5, 2004 3:40 AM PST

I'm running xp. I got most of the font back to normal by right clicking desktop, going to properties then appearance. But it still is there in some places (for example if I type something in the search line of google). Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.
Jeremy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I got a virus that changed my font to symbols- please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I got a virus that changed my font to symbols- please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I got a virus that changed my font to symbols- please he
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 3:47 AM PST

You've got to give more info than that Jeremy. Have you run any virus scans and if so, what were the results? Also, have you run any spyware scans and if so, what were the results? Please tell us some more so someone can help you.

Collapse -
by jmic / November 5, 2004 4:01 AM PST

Thanks,
I ran virus/spyware scans, and it looks like sypware was installed. "31 critical items" were deleted. I removed all the free spyware detecting programs on the computer, and installed norton antivirus/firewall (it is necessary to remove those programs in order to install norton, according to norton's manual).
I can't run the norton scanner, because everything is in symbols. Do you recommend downloading a particular kind of virus/spyware scanner?
I am new to virus detection/removal.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 4:22 AM PST

Try doing an online scan at Trend Micro's Housecall and see what they come up with. You NEED spyware applications besides Norton which does mainly viruses. Also do a pest scan at Pest Patrol. They won;t fix anything but you can tell someone here what they come up with. Housecall may or may not fix any virus problems but at least write down what both places find and post them here. Good luck.

This scan is for spyware mainly.
http://www.pestscan.com/

This one is for viruses.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Collapse -
by RossBrindley / November 7, 2004 1:48 PM PST

I have exactly the same problem. I was given a computer with the problem to try and repair and as part of the process I moved the hard drive to my PC and scanned for viruses (Innoculate IT). No viruses were found so I scanned with PestPatrol and cleaned a few trojans off.

When I looked into the Fonts (Windows/Fonts) directory on the suspect drive with Windows Explorer, my own PC became "infected" with the top bar of all windows appearing in symbols. I managed to repair my PC without rebooting by restoring all fonts but this solution only works temporarily on the original PC and the problem return on reboot.

H E L P!!!!!

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 7, 2004 10:59 PM PST
Collapse -
by RossBrindley / November 8, 2004 7:21 AM PST

I have tried the housecall and it found nothing. I have purchased Pest Patrol and it has found nothing.

This thing IS a virus because it replicated itself onto my PC through contact with the hard drive but no-one has yet discovered the source of the infection.

Any word from jimic about his/her progress?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 8, 2004 7:43 AM PST

Hi Ross
Jeremy has not reported back so I have no idea if he fixed his problem. As far as your problem, there is not way that I can think of to fix the problem if we don't know what it is. If you don't know what it is called and none of the scans say there is something wrong, maybe you can give all the symptoms and possibly someone can help you. Please tell us everything you know about what happened and when it happened, etc.

Collapse -
by RossBrindley / November 8, 2004 8:40 AM PST

The only way to show you is to send a screen dump. Is that possible?

When I go to properties of the desktop and choose appearance and then advanced the only font options are fixedsys and system. All other fonts are gone from view and even after changing these to the system font some windows are still only showing garbage.

The original PC only showed the problem when it was restarted for the first time in months so there is no way to know when it started. All I did to infect my PC was access his hard drive when I connected it as a slave on my PC and viewed some of the directories.

This must have started appearing on other PC's by now. Surely Jeremy and I cannot be the only ones.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 8, 2004 8:51 AM PST

I have no idea Ross. I'm not an expert, I just try to help out when I can. I think you are going to have to wait for one of the experts to pick this up, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Collapse -
by RossBrindley / November 8, 2004 9:46 AM PST

That's OK, I appreciate your input and I hope one of the big A/V houses pick this one up soon.

Collapse -
by Basil Hall / November 8, 2004 10:36 AM PST
Collapse -
by RossBrindley / November 8, 2004 2:36 PM PST

Absobloodybrilliant....

Still, I have no explaination as to why the fonts registry entry was deleted and I am running XP Pro not Media edition but who cares it's F I X E D!!!

Thanks...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just a lucky find - glad it helped.
by Basil Hall / November 9, 2004 3:49 AM PST
Collapse -
by UncleBuck / November 14, 2004 11:28 AM PST

Just adding my voice to this - no, you're not the only ones. I got this within the past 3 days. It appeared after running a program called "System Mechanic" from iolo.com. It might not have been that program, but a registry scan I did with it appears to have triggered something. It looks like the symbols might be the Marlette font, and checking my registry I can't see anywhere that this font is assigned. I also had trouble accessing my CD drive for awhile, but that particular problem appears to have spontaneously resolved itself, at least for the moment.

I'm running Windows 98 on a 1.3 GHz Penyium/256 MB RAM Dell. This system has had a virus before way back when it still belonged to my parents, I don't know if it's the same virus. But I've run McAffee Virus Scan, Ad Aware, all the System Mechanic scans, McAffe disk scan, Microsoft ScanDisk, just about everything I can think of. The problem won't go away, and there isn't anything in the entire system registry that refers to the Marlette font. :-? I'll be very curious to see if anything's come of this. I've not yet finished reading this thread, so please disregard this if the problem's already been outted & resolved. If I find out anything not already posted, I'll be sure to do so. Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 14, 2004 11:48 AM PST
Collapse -
by deborahramos / November 10, 2004 8:55 AM PST

OH MY GOD. I got it too! Thank you for posting...I've been all over the internet looking for help!

Collapse -
Ross Brindley...please help!
by deborahramos / November 10, 2004 9:07 AM PST

I'm trying to get rid of the EXACT same problem, and followed the link to the d-a-l help site, but it involves being able to read some text, and everything on mine is symbols except where it says Windows XP. How do you get it to partial english at least?

Thank you...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.