Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

i give up

i have 4 adolescents sharing a desktop. we had a storm the other night with a 2 second loss of power. the desktop no longer has the cd drive, network adapters, or network icons in the network connections folder. this happened before, and best buy helped me get the disk drive back so i could do a recovery. can someone help me fix this myself so the kids stop asking to use my laptop to check myspace???

HP a815n, Windows XP

i've tried a lot of different things, nothing's working. System Restore DOES NOT WORK.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i give up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i give up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unsure if we can help.

In reply to: i give up

Anything we try can reslut in files and folders being lost. If you're willing to lose files and folders, then try this.

First, make sure the computer is turned off. If you have the disks, try starting the computer with the disk in the CD Rom. It should try to boot from the disk, if it's set correctly. You can try a recovery but, I did this on my daughters computer and everything was lost.

If no disk, Try turning the computer on. Press F11 when it starts. It should bring you to the recovery partition. Try recovering from there.

If that didn't bring up the recovery partition, then on startup press F10.

Remember all files and folders will be lost.

Rick

Collapse -
do not give up

In reply to: i give up

The network adaptor may have been destroyed by the lightning, so you'd better try another one. To the CD drive, you may take it out and insert to another healthy computer and check whether it could work. But I suspect it cannot work now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.