Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

I.E. only works in Safe Mode???

by karl hungus / September 15, 2004 8:18 AM PDT

I have a really strange problem, I.E. will only function in safe mode. This started last week, it was fine for the last two years. On a regular boot it'll only give me the "could not open/test network error page". Nothing else seems wrong but I can't access the network through games or Kazaa in normal mode either.

I looked around in the forums and didn't see anyone complaining about a similar error. I'm running XP on a 2.4 P4 with 1024mb. The problem occured when I downloaded DirectX 9c of all things. I've deleted and re-installed XP three times, installed service pack 2, had more problems and have gone back to just the critical updates. I've re-installed and repaired I.E. 6 several times, Turned off system restore, I've run 10 different anti-virus/spy removal programs (Avast, spysweeper, Panda online, microtrend, spybot, ad-aware, cws-sredder, spy-doctor, sygate firewall, A2, ect...) I've repaired my registry sfc/ scannow, I've powered off my modem, checked my nic card, released/renewed my I.P.,I used the winsock and winsock2 fixes. Man I'm at my the end of my rope here...

I hate asking for help but I want to get to the bottom of this. My only thought was that some how critical files to load I.E are being blocked by one of my anti-virus/spy-removal apps or there's a nasty virus that is going un-detected that can't function within Safe mode. What exe's are required by XP to run I.E. ? Any help would be awesome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I.E. only works in Safe Mode???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I.E. only works in Safe Mode???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your post didn't tell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 8:46 AM PDT

What you mean by "doesnt' work." The description may hold the clue.

But let me share a new pest had me use Hijackthis to find it and I didn't find a name for it. Hijackthis logs are interesting, but if you post one here then you didn't read the instructions.

Also, you should try IEFIX as well.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I.E. only works in Safe Mode???
by HoratioLint / December 13, 2004 5:51 AM PST

Karl-

I'm having the exact same problem as you, as far as I can tell. The weird thing is that my old cable modem still works, in or out of Safe Mode. All my networking works fine through that. But I just set up a new DSL service, and that only works in Safe Mode - otherwise I try to go to any web page and it "cannot be found." I can't even access the modem itself through its IP address - "the connection was refused" - unless I'm in Safe Mode. I thought that maybe the cable modem was conflicting with the new DSL modem but when I uninstalled the driver nothing changed. I tried doing a selective startup using only the most basic XP services and it still didn't work. I tried getting rid of my virus software, turning off the XP firewall, reinstalling Windows, reinstalling my Ethernet card, and more, with no results.

I see your post has been sitting here for a while with no resolution, but did you ever figure out what was going on?

Collapse -
FIXED THE PROBLEM!
by HoratioLint / December 17, 2004 5:29 AM PST

Karl, I don't know if you're still struggling with this, but I finally got things to work: I disabled the Network Bridge under the Network Connections settings. Boom, everything worked. I have no clue why this is, but I'm happy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!