Mac OS forum

General discussion

I DROPPED MY POWERBOOK PLEASE HELP

No emoticon can express the dire feeling i am experiencing in the pit of my stomach. A friend accidentaly knocked my powerbook off of a desk and it hit the carpet and now there IS A DENT in the front left corner (the left corner from the latch). The metal base is grooving about 2 millimeters from the grey rim so it is open. It is working fine but the screen got bent minimally, so minimal there isn't any dead pixels or anything so that is good but this bump is killing me. I honestly feel physically sick. Any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Will apple be able to fix this? I don't have apple care but am willing to pay? Any estimates?
Any other suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I DROPPED MY POWERBOOK PLEASE HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I DROPPED MY POWERBOOK PLEASE HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Everything is fixable

In reply to: I DROPPED MY POWERBOOK PLEASE HELP

The only caveat to that statement is how much you want to spend.
Apple have a Fixed price repair for Powerbooks, about $350 but don't quote me, and for the price will fix everything that is defective on your machine, including the case.
800 SOS APPL should set you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

P

Collapse -
Powerbook Dent

Last year I dropped my 12" PB off a desk and it landed on the corner. The entire edge was distorted and wavy. The aluminum edge and plastic was separated. After freaking out for a few minutes, I began massaging the dent out with a bone folder wrapped in a soft cloth. After some patience, I was able to rub out the entire dent and it was barely noticeable. The aluminum surface didn't crease. If you take it in for repair be prepared$$$$$$$. Good luck.

Collapse -
dropped

I did not have this experience but a friend of mine did.
He ended up sending it to Mac for repair. They said the fall just Knocked the motherboard loose so it was an easy fix.

Collapse -
Totally Understand

I would contact Apple first of all. At least find out what it would take to have it fixed. You might be surprised at the amount. Still, it is important to realize that it might cost a good bit of money. Even if you had Apple Care it is likely that it would not be covered as it was more of the fault of an accident. However, they might have been kind enough to fix it anyway. Hard to say. Let this be a lesson though. NEVER ever ever buy a laptop of any kind without an extended warranty of some kind. If that is beyond the budget, then don't buy the laptop. Laptops are notoriously expensive to repair.

Collapse -
Computer Insurance

This post reminded me to get computer insurance. No, not extended warranty stuff. For information check out http://www.safeware.com/

Collapse -
Sooooooooooooooo ?

Throw up ...... punch your "friend" in the back of the head, put some duct tape on the corner of your "Powder Book" and get back to life. More "schtuff" will happen soon ... no time to wine.

Collapse -
Re: I DROPPED MY POWERBOOK PLEASE HELP

Personally, I would ask the person that caused the accident for some financial help in the repair, as much as is possible. If you are willing to pay something too, that is fine ... but I think whoever caused the accident should shoulder some (or all) of the responsibility of the cost of the repair.

Collapse -
Replaced bottom case for $250

I also dropped my power book 4 months after purchasing it. The bottom case was bent to the point where it wouldn't close. I took my laptop into a mac repair shop where they ordered the bottom case. When the part arrived 2 weeks later I went in where they replaced the bottom case. Now I couldn't tell it was damaged. Bottom case ~$160, labor $90.

Good luck.

Collapse -
You broke you bought it

Friend or no friend. Respect is everything. Format and reinastall---make him pay fair market value. And go get something other than a MAC...

Collapse -
What a good idea

In reply to: You broke you bought it

Then he would really have something to be sick about!

Collapse -
If that is your stance on this

In reply to: You broke you bought it

why are you posting in this forum? The person needs help not attitude.

Collapse -
This thread appears to be over 3 years old

In reply to: If that is your stance on this

so it is likely the problem was taken care of by the original poster.

-BMF

Collapse -
My apologies

In reply to: This thread appears to be over 3 years old

its been quite a month so far. I shall pay more attention.

Collapse -
No problem

In reply to: My apologies

Just thought that this discussion was over and that adding to it wouldn't do much for the original poster.

-BMF

Collapse -
Don't worry, be happy

I dropped my Powerbook in the carpark (it fell out of my backpack), denting a corner, warping the screen a little bit, but the case was so warped that my DVI port couldn't be accessed.

I took it into my friendly Apple dealer who just massaged the case a bit so that it didn't look too bad, and all the connectors could be plugged into but he couldn't get the screen to stay closed.

I was considering my options when I dropped the PB again, on the other back corner - and now the latch works fine!

Don't try this at home, folks.

Collapse -
Dropped Powerbook

Hi.
I can imagine how you feel I did the same last year.I decided to do it myself (Do not attempt this unless you have some build experience or a friend who is)
When I could afford the bits I bought one at a time and slowly rebuilt it. It took six months but I am pleased to say that I was successful. and extremely satisfied with my success and I saved a lot of cash.I did not have much choice because after the drop my m/c no longer worked.
Good luck with whichever way you decide to choose.
Regards
Brian B.

Collapse -
i dropped mine from 2nd story on hardwood

it was bent, but no technical damage.......
the bend was undone with a $180 replacement of the bottom casing.
the guy said he also threw in a free part for me, but it sounded minor.
he unbent the screen as much as he could without damaging it.
end of story -- it looks like new now.
and works perfectly.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.