General discussion

I dont need any activated Xp

May 2, 2008 2:44PM PDT

hi there
Well only one day left for windows xp activation but i dont want to activate it.i am doing good without it.

So some one please help me shuting this activation thing and what will happen after 1 day if i dont activate it?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I dont need any activated Xp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I dont need any activated Xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I could be wrong, here
May 2, 2008 3:24PM PDT

But since nobody else has replied (yet) here's my 2c.
Worst case scenario: You will not be able to download any MS updates. Since there are generally 3-7 patches on critical vulnerabilities every month, you'll likely be at increased risk. You'll also get balloon tips reminding you that your copy of windows may not be genuine.
More likely scenario: You will be able to download security patches, but nothing else from MS. You'll get the balloon tips.

Why not activate? Paranoid? Or just don't want to buy into this club? Bits of the OS will (I think) still phone home now and then, activated or not.

- Collapse -
but i dont need to activate
May 2, 2008 3:40PM PDT

i dont want to activate because i am not getting hurt since my Antivirus is upto date , my fire wall is updated ,i have pop up blocker so whats the thing i should worry about + i dont want any updated Xp since my needs are being fulfilled by "UN ACTIVATED Windows Xp"
So tell me can i turn this thing off or after 1 day i will keep poping up again and again?

- Collapse -
Let's put it to you this way.
May 2, 2008 3:56PM PDT

If you do NOT activate Windows, you cannot get critical updates. NOT getting these updates may cause your computer NOT to function properly. I have some of the recommended updates on my computer so I can run special programs.

Microsoft's FAQ is here

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

If you want, there's even a section that tells you how to disable the notifications.

If you decide to activate Windows, you can do so by going here.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

More information is also provided on these pages.

Rick

- Collapse -
Wrong.
May 2, 2008 4:00PM PDT

Most infections of malware arrive via user action; clicking on an IM attachment, downloading "bad" software, or bad luck; visiting a webpage that has been "hacked" with an exploit.
And most malware installs on a machine by exploiting a known vulnerability in part of the OS, or its ancillary applications.
Your AV cannot always protect against "zero day" threats. (Unless the heuristics are set to an irritatingly high level.) Keeping the system, and all its programs, patched, is a vital step in the security chain.

Of course, it's possible you may be able to update security related items on a non-validated Windows. As I said above, I don't know. And neither will you until the next "Patch Tuesday".

To remove the balloon tips, try Googling "WGA Notify". No guarantees.

- Collapse -
And in the link
May 2, 2008 4:09PM PDT

Kindly provided by PudgyOne above:
[Quote]
"Q: What will the WGA Notifications experience be for non-genuine Windows users?
A:

Customers found to be using non-genuine versions of Windows will receive a message during logon that their copy of Windows appears to be non-genuine and will be directed to the WGA Web site to learn more. Users who choose not to obtain a copy of genuine Windows will receive periodic reminders. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender." [end quote]
Additional to this, it appears you will be able to receive critical security patches.
You will probably find at some stage some of the functionality of some of your programs may be affected, as technology moves on and your OS doesn't.

- Collapse -
"technology moves
May 2, 2008 4:25PM PDT

"technology moves on and your OS doesn't."
Hmm Tariq i liked it Grin.OS will move when i will update my Pc Hardware And install Vista (only if its requirement for playing GTAIV)

but still dont want any thing from Microsoft,
i would like to stay at Old School you kknow what i am saying.
let it be Non- Genuine,counterfeit,etc etc

- Collapse -
I understand,
May 2, 2008 4:35PM PDT

and, to a degree, empathize. However, I'd still urge you to at least install the security updates as they become available. As well as keeping Java, Adobe etc updated.
You don't need a validated OS for that.
Else I guess we'll see you sometime at the virus/spyware forum.
Linux/Ubuntu may appeal to you, as an aside.
(BTW it's Tarq, not Tariq.)

- Collapse -
Tarq
May 2, 2008 4:52PM PDT

"Else I guess we'll see you sometime at the virus/spyware forum."
Grin
So want me get "virused" , i am really looking forward for that one.
and forgive me for Tariq.

All hail "T A R Q"
Grin

- Collapse -
I wouldn't want to have this happen
May 2, 2008 4:39PM PDT

Failure to reactivate within the 30-day grace period may result in the system being placed into a reduced functionality mode.

Whatever that is.

Rick

- Collapse -
Reduced functionality
May 2, 2008 4:55PM PDT

can u explain it please?

- Collapse -
rick Tar Q
May 2, 2008 5:12PM PDT

rick u there?

Tar Q ..... Where r U ?

- Collapse -
Having diinner,
May 2, 2008 5:37PM PDT

It was nice.

- Collapse -
I don't know what
May 2, 2008 5:50PM PDT

MS means exactly by "reduced functionality". And I think, based on the statement "whatever that is" Rick doesn't, either.
I guess you could always ask Microsoft Wink
Maybe it refers to limited updates available, maybe something else...I've just never seen the point in running anything other than legitimate software. Already had my malware scare, and that was partly through running out of date applications.
Anything else I can help you with?

- Collapse -
thanks
May 2, 2008 6:29PM PDT

Thanks alot.
I dont think any serious thing will happen except some balloons poping out from down-right side of the taskbar.I think even some thing happens i would be able to install windows again right?
who give a s*@# asking Microsoft man? i think one can use his own brain to tackle a situation instead of going microsoft and "say Oh Bill Gate's men help me i am drowning throw a tyre tube filled with air and make Bill Gate more rich by saving me! (I dont know the female singer name but song is like this :Come,come come into my world Come ...come come into my world (She keep laping the whole set)

again sorry for 'Tariq'

- Collapse -
Kylie Moinogue
May 2, 2008 6:34PM PDT

Come come come into my world Come come come into my world Come come come into my world and save me Make Bill Gate eat more cake when he go to Germany (i think) again!

- Collapse -
Re Tariq..
May 2, 2008 6:38PM PDT

No worries. The lady's name is Minogue.
We're on slightly different pages. Good luck.
[No longer subscribed]

- Collapse -
That deserves a lock.
May 2, 2008 7:36PM PDT

You said, "let it be Non- Genuine,counterfeit,etc etc".

That deserves a lock, and I have obliged.

Whilst you haven't said so expressly, you are intimating that your version of XP is non-genuine, ie a Pirate version. Your reluctance to let Windows be activated also points to this.

More often than not users who have a genuine version of XP installed have no concerns with activation. You seem to have concerns.

These forums do not allow discussion about pirated software and so I am halting this discussion now.

If you believe I have erred then feel free to contact me through my profile.

Mark

- Collapse -
no longer subscribed?
May 2, 2008 7:01PM PDT

what does that mean Tarq?

- Collapse -
Reply to email
May 3, 2008 5:11AM PDT

tboylikecj

I've received your email. I couldn't send you an email in reply as you have not activated your email option in your profile. Hence my reply here. You seem to have problems with "activation".

You sent me this;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subject: Yes,you did wrong

well words like counterfeit and non geniune came in my mind when i went to this website:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
so i used them to make my questions more understandable.
and
(Q) who is discussing pirated software ?
(A) No one except Moderator himself.

and im not intimating that i m using non geniune thing.
and yes i have concern about Windows Activation Countdown poping up whenever i start computer and if i dont want to be worried by it why it make you think that i m using some non geniune thing????????

so i think instead of showing your authority/superiority, why dont you open that discussion and let others post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You used such words as counterfeit and non-genuine;

"i would like to stay at Old School you kknow what i am saying.
let it be Non- Genuine,counterfeit,etc etc
"

And no, I don't know what you mean by "I would like to stay at Old School".

Your choice, get activated and you have a trouble free experience with Windows XP. Don't, and your problems begin to mount. It seems simple to me, and a no brainer. Activate.

This thread remains closed. If you choose not to activate you already have the information you need, so there is no reason to keep this discussion going.

Good luck.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info