Computer Help forum

General discussion

I dont know whats wrong with my computer... please help?

by Avib0y1991 / December 28, 2009 4:07 PM PST

Hey. I actually have been having some problems with my laptop lately and no matter who I take it to (Geek Squad, local repair shops), I cant seem to get a strait answer out of anyone, so I'm hoping someone could give me some sort of answer of what could be wrong.

So pretty much, a week ago, my Toshiba M305D-S4831 began messing up. One moment it was working perfectly, then after I tried waking it up from its sleep it had a blank white screen that would not go away no matter what I did. So I found out that the LCD light had gone out and I had the screen replaced. But now, my laptop is acting even weirder. Now 95% of the time when I try to turn on my laptop, it just powers on, the LED lights come but then it powers off right away, then it tries to reboot itself and it'll continue in this pattern until the battery dies. The other 5% of the time, the laptop turns on successfully, but only if the screen is at a certain angle (the repeated on and off cycle also happens frequently at this angle as well but will sometimes successfully turn on at one point).

I know it cant be a virus either since I have Norton and I ran a virus scan just a few days before the problem. Other than that, I really dont know whats going on with my laptop, and I have to go back to school in a few days and will really need one.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Do you think I should repair this one or just get a new laptop altogether?

I know this is was a long post, so thanks for bearing with it, and thank you so much in advance for helping me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I dont know whats wrong with my computer... please help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I dont know whats wrong with my computer... please help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also...
by Avib0y1991 / December 28, 2009 4:07 PM PST

Oh, and if you need more info, let me know. I'll give you what I can

Collapse -
I'm sure it needs repair.
by Kees Bakker / December 28, 2009 4:13 PM PST

It depends on the price of the repair (no warranty, I assume), the age of this laptop and the price of a comparable new laptop if that's a good choice or a bad choice. As we don't know 3 out of these 3 variables it's impossible to give advice.

Kees

Collapse -
The 3 things
by Avib0y1991 / December 28, 2009 4:19 PM PST

Ok...

You're right, I dont have warranty on it anymore. My dad didnt get me the extended warranty thing for it. But the laptop is only 1 year and 3 months old.

As for price... I have no idea. Obviously that depends off of what the problem is.

If anyone has any opinion as to what the problem could be, that would be so helpful. I know it pretty hard to just tell without actually looking at it, but could you give it a shot?

Collapse -
Re: repair
by Kees Bakker / December 28, 2009 4:23 PM PST
In reply to: The 3 things

So they replaced the screen and damaged the machine so it doesn't work any more. You might have warranty on the repair?

Kees

Collapse -
I've already talked to them...
by Avib0y1991 / December 28, 2009 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: Re: repair

They said that there is no way they could have done anything and their "warrant wouldnt cover it."

I would take up more issue with this but quite frankly, I'm more concerned with having a laptop in time for school since I'm taking writing intensive courses.

Collapse -
My thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2009 10:24 PM PST

1. "I know it cant be a virus either since I have Norton and "

This is something that when you read or hear you cringe and smile at the same time. There are too many pests that walk past Norton.

2. Ok, let's say it's some pest and you really are convinced it's not the hardware. Try this. Boot up UBUNTU from a CD (we can run it from CD and not install it.) This is my acid test if the hardware is OK or not. If the machine is good then a boot to UBUNTU (see google on how) will be uneventful and the display will just work fine.

3. Repairs and support may cost more than a new laptop. So balance repair costs with replacements. Out of warranty repairs usually reach past half of a new laptop in such stories.

4. I couldn't tell how old this unit was or if it was one that was a student that carried it around daily.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!