Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I don't usually tout MTV, but...

Don't forget the Live 8 Concert starting at noon!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I don't usually tout MTV, but...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I don't usually tout MTV, but...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) just watched R.E.M !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to: I don't usually tout MTV, but...

Collapse -
Good Show!!

I miss the 24/7 video format they used to have,now replaced by t&a reality tv or "spring break".
This should be good,thanks Dave, can't wait for Coldplay!

Collapse -
(NT) There's a reason you shouldn't tout MTV.....

Horrible coverage that was more interested in VJ's talking over almost every song...commercials commercials commercials commercials...more talking over songs....even more commercials...

Notice that MTV and VH1 (the same company) ran the same feed but switched to different commercials during the numerous breaks. Hmmm, let's cut our broadcast costs in half and double our ad revenue! What are the odds MTV donated all the ad revenue they brought in towards Africa? Zero.

The coverage by MTV is exactly why Live 8 has no chance of actually working....corporate coverage more interested in "star watching", interviews, and ads, than the music or the issue at hand.

Collapse -
Live 8 is a waste of time

until the despots and dictators are removed from Africa, the situation will remain the same.

Collapse -
They would have done better ...

In reply to: Live 8 is a waste of time

... TO charge admission and donated the proceeds. Also the acts could have forgone the tens of thousands in "kitch" that the providers of same could have donated to Africans.

How about pressuring the UN to CALL the situation in Sudan genocide for crying out loud!

But you are right. No amount of debt relief or aid will ever change the situation there without the removal of the despotic governments. That is a pipe dream. As is, it seems, education to counter such cultural myths that sex with a virgin cures AIDS or that widowers sleep with a relative of their deceased husband to rid the home of the deceased's soul (or something like that :()

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Did a chunk of this thread disappear?

I'm not arguing if there was anything that went awry that I missed. I'm just wondering if I'm losing my mind because I'm not seeing it!

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!