HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I don't think the labor unions will like this report ...

by Bill Osler / March 13, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

I don't know what the basis is for this report, and I don't have any idea whether the data support the conclusion. I also think that if I were the author of the report I'd want to move and get an unlisted phone number about now:

Study names 5 factors of social ills in energy, mining and logging communities
5) a union environment, coupled with high incomes, leads to a ?culture of entitlement? among some workers who feel that there are no consequences to their actions, including the misuse of alcohol and drugs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I don't think the labor unions will like this report ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I don't think the labor unions will like this report ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This part concerns me
by Steven Haninger / March 13, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
?Governments also need to earmark funds and programs to meet the unique social and economic challenges of resource-based communities,? said John Parkins, a professor of rural economy at the University of Alberta and co-author of the study. This funding should include regional, rural-based drug treatment centres, he added.

So, if you succeed in your business and can't handle the pressure to behave yourself afterwards, the public (via the government) owes you therapy and treatment for the damage you've done to yourself?? This person needs to have his brain reprogrammed, me thinks.
Collapse -
RE;unique social and economic challenges
by JP Bill / March 13, 2008 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: This part concerns me

unique social and economic challenges of resource-based communities,?

Here's 1 Resource based community

Fort McMurray and Waterways amalgamated as the village of McMurray (the "Fort" was dropped until 1962, when it was restored to reflect its heritage) by 1947, and became a town a year later. Fort McMurray was granted the status of new town so it could get more provincial funding. By 1966, the town's population was over 2,000.

In 1967, the Great Canadian Oil Sands(now Suncor) plant opened and Fort McMurray's growth took off afterwards. More oil sands plants were opened up, especially after 1973 and 1979, when serious political tensions and conflicts in the Middle East triggered oil price spikes. The population of the city reached 6,743 by 1971 and climbed swiftly to 30,772 by 1981, a year after its incorporation as a city.

The city continued to grow for a few years even after the oil bust caused by the collapse in world oil prices and the National Energy Program, which was scrapped after the Progressive Conservative Party formed the Government of Canada in 1984. The population peaked at almost 37,000, just before it declined to under 34,000 by 1987. Low oil prices since the oil price collapse in 1986 slowed the oil sands production greatly, as oil extraction from the oilsands is a very expensive process and lower world prices made this highly uneconomical.

The population of Fort McMurray was 64,441 in 2006.[2] It has experienced a sustained annual average growth rate of 8.5 per cent between 1999 and 2006. Forecasts from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo's Strategic Planning and Policy Division indicate that the city will reach a population of 100,000 by 2012.

Fort McMurray is a multicultural community, attracting people from all corners of Canada and the world. Albertans make up almost half the number of migrants to Fort McMurray, followed by 17% of people originating from the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Were it a city, it would be the fifth largest in Alberta (after Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer and Lethbridge).

1966..Population 2000
2012 Population 100000

Chinese iron workers are working on Oil Sands Project.

Boom or Bust economy, transient population, Camp followers....Just like the Wild West.

Collapse -
Alberta teachers ordered back to work
by WOODS-HICK / March 13, 2008 11:42 AM PDT
http://www.nswtf.org.au/world/20020222_alberta.html

the professor may be an expert on entitlements.

unions will never excuse a member for misusing drugs or alcohol on the job. they will be fired.

if it is a situation where rehabilitation may be effective they will try to negotiate with the company to achieve that.

unions will also protect shift-workers from being exploited. safety is always the highest priority.

sounds like the professor knows how to keep the grants coming in.

otherwise I like the report
Collapse -
Labels
by JP Bill / March 14, 2008 12:27 AM PDT
2) high incomes lead to a ?keeping up with the Joneses? mentality

5) a union environment, coupled with high incomes, leads to a ?culture of entitlement?

High income WITHOUT union involvement it's ?keeping up with the Joneses"

High income WITH union involvement it's ?culture of entitlement?

Entitled to have everything the Joneses have?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.