Windows Vista forum

General discussion

I don't think I like it so far

by rbooz / June 24, 2006 2:59 PM PDT

I'm an advanced computer user and personally I think I like XP more then Vista. I can't ellaborate much now but one of the first things that stood out was the fact that Microsoft did all this code and redesigned the UI, for example they got rid of the menu bar to name one, for the ultimate goal of making the OS easier to use. I honestly find it harder to use and navigate. There is two much going on in each window. My opinion is not so good for public acceptance, I wonder if Vista will be the next Me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I don't think I like it so far
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I don't think I like it so far
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Give it some time
by islandporgy / June 27, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

It is a Bata version a lot off kinks will be taking out in time, give your opion in feed back in Vista.

Good Luck
Wendell H

Collapse -
vista themes
by blindfire17 / June 30, 2006 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Give it some time

Maybe it will contain a theme so it can be selected and have an xp style theme with all the familiarities.

Collapse -
I wondered why Aero was touted as a theme.
by strickjh2005 / July 1, 2006 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: vista themes

Becuase in ?window blinds? I saw a bunch of Long horn themes. Not just Aero. There was one I really like and was hoping to be able to use. It was black and shiny.

Collapse -
I have given second thought
by rbooz / July 1, 2006 1:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Give it some time

After using the beta for about two weeks now I can safely say that the OS has grown on me and now I'm fully ready for the first Vista for retail sale, whenever that may be. Even though I now like the OS I have two fears the first is my laptop. I installed the beta on a desktop machine but what I have been hearing mostly from Robert Vamosi, a CNET Editor is that the OS eats laptop battery and processor power like nothing seen before. Hopefully fuel cells will become standard to replace Lithium Ions in the near future. My second fear is novice users, they are use to XP and like XP's features, mostly what they have seen standard from Win 95 up like the menubar. By default the menubar is not going to be there and how many users who have the "I hate the computer" attitude are going to know how to make these usual features reappear? I think there will be many problems and questions when the time comes.

Collapse -
I agree in part
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2006 7:25 PM PDT

I haven't tried VIsta yet, (too cowardly, Happy )

But I remember when XP came out, it was so different from Win 9x/ME and I saw a lot of complaints from people who didn't like the new OS. When I brought it, I reverted straight back to "Classic Mode".

But over a period of time I've changed it back to the XP theme and I reckon many would have done the same. There are still a lot of die hard WIn9x/ME users around, but as support for those OS's reduce, they will become less and less.

I imagine much the same for Vista.

I'm really looking forward to the Aero interface. But I will wait awhile, for all the bugs to be sorted out by good testers like yourself, Devil

Collapse -
Oh, Mark...
by John.Wilkinson / July 2, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree in part

You should have registered yourself a copy while you had the chance...I was really looking forward to you being the one I could shed the blame on when I screw up here. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah.... Right......! :)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2006 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, Mark...
Collapse -
I Know What You Are Talking About
by rbooz / July 2, 2006 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree in part

The Aero graphics engine is awesome there is nothing wrong with the features they are sweet. What I'm saying is about the UI and the way you do different tasks has changed and thats where I see the problem area.

Collapse -
I agree
by islandporgy / July 9, 2006 4:29 PM PDT

It has also grown on me and just like anything else it takes time. I have plenty off that to give.
Vista has a lot off new features that the other Operating systems do not have. I am still exploring Vista.
Wendell H

Collapse -
I pretty much agree
by zachm90 / July 1, 2006 8:33 PM PDT

I used Vista for a while; and whilst I realized that it was a Beta, there were some things that bugged me so much; I had to revert to using WinXP.

I shall elaborate:
The start menu; whilst it had a good idea in theory, having all the items in one pane, was no good from the perspective that I have way to much in my start menu; its far easier to look at it in the expanded WinXP/Legacy form.

The networking components and configuration utilities sucked. Is there a reason I should have to bounce betwean no less than 4 windows, to set up my WiFi? Network management was terrible in that regard, I think it would be far better if they scrapped all but the network managment tool, and if they showed the network view again so that I could see exactly what my network devices were doing.

Added to this, what happened to the 'Show icon in notification area when connected' option? WinVista NAT and DNSLT is not good enough for the network selection to happen automatically, I personally need to know what connection information is going out on! (I have 1 WiFi, and two Ethernet on my work comp, each to a diff network segment, i have to use NetSH to set them up manually)

Finally, managing permissions was too much of a pain; I'll grant that its fine if access is restricted, but give the user an easy and quick way to access permission sets, especially on folders; I shouldnt have to specially open explorer in root mode to do that, it should do that automatically like everything else. -> Sidenote1: Far too many security principles being fiven access, it confuses the issue. Sidenote2: It actually makes things worse that WinVista has all users by default in the 'users' group, if an admin wants to create an admin only share he has to create another group object and add everyone to it; this is reminding me of WinNT4... guch.

Collapse -
Glad you mentioned it
by rbooz / July 2, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I pretty much agree

The start menu displaying all applications in one pane is one of the feautres I had trouble getting used to especially by habbit when I was clicking the top program for accessories. And to have the programs and folders displayed as a tree wasn't a wow feature. The networking like you said was terrible. You have the map feature which is pretty cool, but then you have network center, then you have the network folder, etc. And unlike XP the windows are detached from each other unless you have a specific shortcut. For any user this could get confusing. Coincidentally Vista was the first time I've seen IPv6 in use. On that I could only say that IPv4 should work supplementary with v6 for a good amount of time, because I can't see anybody remebering an 8 group hexadecimal string of alphanumeric characters for basic tasks like ping and tracert or any network tool for that matter.

Collapse -
I don't think I like it so far
by dbennett48 / July 16, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

I dumped it a week ago. NO more Vista for me. Yes it will be the next ME.

Collapse -
by rbooz / July 16, 2006 12:39 PM PDT

Is it mostly because of the reasons we stated in this discussion. Or did you not like the OS in general?

Collapse -
Don't like it
by dbennett48 / July 22, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

I don't like the look and feel of it. I can get by the lack of drivers and other software. A lot was promised and never shown. I will not change my present system (W2K) at this time.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?