The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

I don't like the new podcast RSS feed

by spice3d / June 5, 2008 9:55 AM PDT

Ever since the feed was changed, my N95 no longer automatically downloads the podcast. For whatever reason, the new show always appears at the bottom of the list of shows. I'm guessing that is the reason it doesn't auto-download, but I'm not sure. The size and duration is also not shown, but that's a minor annoyance. Anyone else experiencing issues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I don't like the new podcast RSS feed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I don't like the new podcast RSS feed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please..
by raygun01 / June 5, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

Pipe in. I'm curious as well. Any input will be invaluable to me trying to make sure that the feed is better in the future.

We won't be switching back to the hand-coded method... but I can take what I learn from here and hopefully have a tool designed or functionality that will take care of these issues.

Collapse -
Here is an odd issue/non issue
by Dirty Pirate / June 5, 2008 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Please..

Well, I do get the podcast. But I don't get it till 0730GMT, so whats that... About 9-10 hours difference from you?

So, when I get the notice that the podcast has been published, it won't show up for me to download for about 10 hours.

All I can assume is that it is a server, clustered in various locations to avoid bottle necks and it doesn't show up to a server serving Europe. But I am just guessing.

Collapse -
No problems for lil' ole luddite me
by punterjoe / June 5, 2008 12:58 PM PDT

Of course I still use iTunes 4.9 & an original 1stGen PSP so I'm not pushing the envelope (though I may be pulling it). Still, BOL rss works fine for me. ....though other CNET links (like new.com podcast) never have ...but I digress. Happy

Collapse -
Gadgettes works but uses <itunes: > xml tags
by spice3d / June 5, 2008 3:00 PM PDT

The feed works on my PC using Ziepod client. It's only the N95 Podcast app that doesn't work for me. The Gadgettes feeds works, however, using http://www.cnet.com/i/pod/cnet_gadgetgirls.xml. I noticed that this Gadgettes feed uses <itunes: > xml tags while the buzzoutloud one (http://feeds.feedburner.com/cnet/buzzoutloud) uses <media: > xml tags. http://www.cnet.com/i/pod/cnet_buzz.xml doesn't work either but doesn't use the itunes tag like you'd think it would.

Is there an BOL URL that uses itunes tags?

Collapse -
Size field missing in RSS feed
by spice3d / June 10, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

I'm suspecting that the N95 needs the file size field completed so it knows if there's enough room before it downloads the file. Any way to include this in the RSS feed? Gadgettes has this, for example.

Collapse -
hmmmmm.
by raygun01 / June 10, 2008 6:40 AM PDT

We *should* have that in there... unfortunately with the new blog system, it doesn't give use the option to throw it in there...

I will note that and see what we can do.

As for the Gadgettes feed, it's still hand coded so that's why it's appearing there.

Collapse -
thanks
by spice3d / June 10, 2008 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmmm.

Thanks Jason. Sorry to be a pain.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?