Storage forum

General discussion

I don't know if it's safe to delete.

Hey, I have a dell computer...bottom of the line, we wont even mention it, but anyway...the HDD is only 40GB and well, that isnt that much room. I went in to disk management and it says there are 2 partitions on my HDD. One is my normal C: drive which has 34GB, and there are only 5 left haha. The other is 3GB FAT32 partition and it even says in parenthesis unknown partition. Is this safe to delete?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I don't know if it's safe to delete.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I don't know if it's safe to delete.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
safe to delete

In reply to: I don't know if it's safe to delete.

that partition contains the restoral files for the computer. delete if you want to but you'll never be able to restore the pc in case of a failure.

Collapse -
Better Buy New HDD

In reply to: I don't know if it's safe to delete.

it seems to me u don't know what fat32 is.
i think wikipedia.org will explain it better than i'll do. maybe after that u'll understand meaning and purpose of it and will change ur mind.
Anyway , if any questions arise do not hesitate to ask.
regards

Collapse -
why buy a new one?

In reply to: Better Buy New HDD

actually my HDD is just formatted all in NTFS. I'm not using FAT32 for anything at all except backup files. And there's no point in deleting my backup files now because I can't exactly merge the 2 partitions.

Collapse -
Windows XP CD will do it

In reply to: why buy a new one?

What is the model number of your Dell computer?
Did the computer come from Dell with the FAT32 partition?
Have you confirmed whether that partition is a restore partition?

A hard disk that full will lower overall system performance. That is why it may be a good idea to purchase a larger HD. If you don't want a new one, I would backup all important files to CD/DVD (or whatever external storage you have) and perform a fresh installation of Windows XP. During the installation, you will have the option to remove all partitions. Create one partition and install Windows XP. Mission accomplished.

Do you have the Dell Windows XP restoration CD? Do you have the Dell driver CD? You need these discs.

Collapse -
Well the thing is

In reply to: Windows XP CD will do it

I dont wanna reformat and whatnot. So, for now I can't really do much, I have cleared up some space though. One of these days I will grab a new HDD, but that requires money haha.

Collapse -
Do you want remove the second partition?

In reply to: Well the thing is

Maybe I'm confused here. What is it that you want to do?

If you want to resize or delete a partition, that will always run the risk of damaging the OS installation; and if damaged, it is likely you will need to reinstall EVERYTHING.

If you want to pay money to resize/delete the partition, Partition Magic will do it. Otherwise, removing the second partition by using the Windows XP CD is free, but you will have to reinstall the OS, drivers, all programs, and personal files.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.